autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Good Stuff?!?!?!

Here's the scenario...you have a neighbor/friend/new customer and they want you to detail their car. The car has never seen a professional detail, let alone a good wash other than the local gas station swirl-o-whirl.

Do you use the good wash/shampoo? The good wash mit? Aside from quality pads, polishes, and waxes, what do you guys use to "prepare" the vehicle for paint correction/polish/sealtant?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Good Stuff?!?!?!

I definitely would use a quality soap and mit. It all really depends on what they want done to the vehicle.
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion if it is a new customer, you should be on your A game and go above and beyond to really WOW him or her. I would use all of my best stuff to insure great results and outstanding quality. If you destroy a $15 wash mitt and a $10 LC foam pad... does it really matter? You just made a lot more than that and made the customer happy with the results who will probably use you again and even recommend you with his/her friends, family, and co-workers. Thats just my prospective but what does a 16 year old know lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rider9195 View Post
    I definitely would use a quality soap and mit. It all really depends on what they want done to the vehicle.
    True...I should have elaborated more. What if you know you're going to wash/clay/polish/seal/wax the car

Post Thanks / Like

I have wash media and clay that I use for my car only. Other than that, anything I use on my car I'd use on another.

Most of the time though, the cars I'll do for friends or family are pretty neglected and hardly waxed so I go with something durable like Collinite 845 as my lsp. It's a bonus that it's so inexpensive.

Would I use my fuzion? Sure, but only if the person takes care of their car and will do something within the next few months.

btw, I do it for very little money cause I like to do it. I charge $40-$50 for wash, clay, paint cleaner, and sealant or wax. Feeds my addiction, and helps me use my products so I can try new ones!

I'd probably charge more for polishing but noone really wants to leave their car that long. Just got some more aio's which have a bit more tooth to add to my KAIO (poliseal, DG 501, prima amigo - darn you bogo!) so maybe I can do a bit of correction while cleaning...
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Plan b Detail View Post
    In my opinion if it is a new customer, you should be on your A game and go above and beyond to really WOW him or her. I would use all of my best stuff to insure great results and outstanding quality. If you destroy a $15 wash mitt and a $10 LC foam pad... does it really matter? You just made a lot more than that and made the customer happy with the results who will probably use you again and even recommend you with his/her friends, family, and co-workers. Thats just my prospective but what does a 16 year old know lol
    I definitely get what you're saying. I am with the below quote in that I would have products for mine and the fiance/wife's car specifically. But I don't think i'd use a wool wash mitt or a merino wool mitt on a car in bad shape.

Quote Originally Posted by embolism View Post
    I have wash media and clay that I use for my car only. Other than that, anything I use on my car I'd use on another.

Most of the time though, the cars I'll do for friends or family are pretty neglected and hardly waxed so I go with something durable like Collinite 845 as my lsp. It's a bonus that it's so inexpensive.

Would I use my fuzion? Sure, but only if the person takes care of their car and will do something within the next few months.
    I think Collinite would be on my "To Buy" list if I were to start my side business detailing. I wouldn't use my Swissvax on these cars, but I would get something decent.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are worried about ruining your good stuff, I would recommend using a foam gun with something like CG citrus wash and gloss to break up the grime and stuff before doing your wash. As for clay, an Ultima Elastrofoam would be a good candidate so you don't go through a whole bar while doing the car. You can just rinse it in the wash bucket and keep going.

From the initial cleaning and claying on, the car should be in good enough shape to use your best stuff without worry of ruining something.
    Jon Miles

Post Thanks / Like

IDK! I suppose I don't understand the logic sometimes. I mean, what's the use in using a high dollar wash mitt and trashing it if someone, new customer or not, brings you some car or truck that's got heavy dirt and build-up on it and plan on letting you do a full correction on it? I'd have no issue explaining to the customer what I would be doing, and what you do/use for cleaning after the correction. I guess I just don't like to waste anything...time, or tools. If the car/truck is that dirty you'll most likely not get it clean without inducing more scratches regardless of mitt/sponge used. That's the reason for the correction...make it better than new, inform the client how to care, or set up a maintanence schedule for them after the correction. At the least, explain the use of certain tools/products before, during, and after the correction. IDK...just some thoughts.

EDIT:
    Sure, you'll use some common sense, like removing heavy deposits first with a power washer, but to use a high dollar mitt on it before the correction doesn't make sense to me. It's like putting the most expensive wax you have on car that could easily be cared for with $15 Collonite. Matching products to the car, is like matching services to the client IMO. At least that's my mind-set, and I haven't even taken on any clients yet. Maybe I shouldn't ha ha.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Plan b Detail View Post
    In my opinion if it is a new customer, you should be on your A game and go above and beyond to really WOW him or her.

You're trying to put your best foot forward to impress this new customer in hopes of having them use your services again. This is a prime opportunity to educate this customer in proper upkeep and maintenance and the difference between your services and the Swirl-O-Matic.

When you think about it what really is the difference between your average car wash and wash mitt; probably very little.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by embolism View Post

Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast