autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

What kind of paint do I have?

I have a question for those of you that have performed paint correction on a 2005 Dodge Ram pickup. I know not all clear coats are the same but I was curious if you considered the paint on this truck to be a hard or a soft clear coat? I think I found a good complete kit in this product. Menzerna Complete Ceramic 5.5 Inch Polishing Pad Kit Its the Menzerna Super Intensive Polish PO 83 and Menzerna Nano Polish PO 106 FA but it says its used for ceramic clear coats and I'm not sure if that's what I have. Also, could I apply the Collinate 845 over these products for protection or should I stick with the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant like they recommend? I'll be using the flex 3401 if that makes a difference. Thanks

Pat
    05 QCSB, 4x4, SB 3600, NV56, 35/12.5/17, 2" lvling kit, Amsoil 6080, Pusher, 5" TBE, boost fooler, TNT #3, Dipricol Pyro, Boost, & Fuel, HID's, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MaYpq2oDws

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What kind of paint do I have?

You can't go wrong with Menz products, ceramic or not.
    John
    Mean people suck

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Pat,

It's difficult to gage how hard clear coats really are and they vary allot even within the same manufacturer. something else to consider is whether or not the trucks been repainted.

The Menzerna kit you chose contains two great products and should work very well for you. On the side of the bottle is a cut / gloss bar which will indicate the aggressiveness of the product.

Take your detail through the normal steps prepping the surface for polishing.

• Wash
    • Clay
    • Polish
    • Seal
    • Wax

Once you're at the polishing phase begin with Menzerna Super Intensive Polish PO83 and a white pad. Do a test spot and gage your progress. If things are progressing too slowly switch to the Orange pad.

Menzerna Super Intensive Polish PO83 will remove 2000 grit sanding marks

Menzerna Super Finish Nano Polish PO106FA will remove 2500 grit sanding marks. Use this with a gray or blue pad as this finishes out nicely.

Wolfgang Deep Gloss paint Sealant

Apply this according to the manufactures instructions. Apply this using your dual action polisher and a red pad. Set the polisher speed to 3 and apply a thin even coat overlapping as you go. Let haze for 30 to 45 minutes under normal conditions and buff with a soft Microfiber cloth.

Let this sit overnight to cure properly in a garage or at least in dry conditions.

Collinite 845
    is one of my favorite waxes. Apply this using your dual action polisher and a red pad. Set the polisher speed to 3 and apply a thin even coat overlapping as you go. Let haze for 30 to 45 minutes under normal conditions and buff with a soft Microfiber cloth.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

It really doesn't matter whether the clear is hard or soft. What matters is your technique. A hard clear will simply be a bit tougher to buff out - if you pick too light a polish it will require several passes. That's not the case with the Menz SIP. The Menz SIP will handle any kind of clear and the 106 is kind of an "industry standard"" for a finishing polish. I use Wolfgang on my wife's Lexus, which is some of the softest clear you'll ever encounter. WG is made by Menz using the same type of abrasives found in Menz. I also used these same products on a couple GM vehicles, which have some of the hardest clear. It did a fine job on both.

I will note than many here are not fans of CCS pads with the type of abrasives found in Menz. Most prefer flat pads. I'll let others comment as to the effectiveness of a foamed wool pad with a Flex. I wil say that I question the need for a foamed wool pad unless your truck is really beat or you're wet sanding. I did my nephew's used 04 Ion that had NEVER been properly washed or waxed with an orange flat pad and a PCXP and had no problem getting out YEARS of scratches and swirls.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Hi Pat,

It's difficult to gage how hard clear coats really are and they vary allot even within the same manufacturer. something else to consider is whether or not the trucks been repainted.

The Menzerna kit you chose contains two great products and should work very well for you. On the side of the bottle is a cut / gloss bar which will indicate the aggressiveness of the product.

Take your detail through the normal steps prepping the surface for polishing.

• Wash
    • Clay
    • Polish
    • Seal
    • Wax

Once you're at the polishing phase begin with Menzerna Super Intensive Polish PO83 and a white pad. Do a test spot and gage your progress. If things are progressing too slowly switch to the Orange pad.

Menzerna Super Intensive Polish PO83 will remove 2000 grit sanding marks

Menzerna Super Finish Nano Polish PO106FA will remove 2500 grit sanding marks. Use this with a gray or blue pad as this finishes out nicely.

Wolfgang Deep Gloss paint Sealant

Apply this according to the manufactures instructions. Apply this using your dual action polisher and a red pad. Set the polisher speed to 3 and apply a thin even coat overlapping as you go. Let haze for 30 to 45 minutes under normal conditions and buff with a soft Microfiber cloth.

Let this sit overnight to cure properly in a garage or at least in dry conditions.

Collinite 845
    is one of my favorite waxes. Apply this using your dual action polisher and a red pad. Set the polisher speed to 3 and apply a thin even coat overlapping as you go. Let haze for 30 to 45 minutes under normal conditions and buff with a soft Microfiber cloth.
    Excellent information! This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks.v

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    It really doesn't matter whether the clear is hard or soft. What matters is your technique. A hard clear will simply be a bit tougher to buff out - if you pick too light a polish it will require several passes. That's not the case with the Menz SIP. The Menz SIP will handle any kind of clear and the 106 is kind of an "industry standard"" for a finishing polish. I use Wolfgang on my wife's Lexus, which is some of the softest clear you'll ever encounter. WG is made by Menz using the same type of abrasives found in Menz. I also used these same products on a couple GM vehicles, which have some of the hardest clear. It did a fine job on both.

I will note than many here are not fans of CCS pads with the type of abrasives found in Menz. Most prefer flat pads. I'll let others comment as to the effectiveness of a foamed wool pad with a Flex. I wil say that I question the need for a foamed wool pad unless your truck is really beat or you're wet sanding. I did my nephew's used 04 Ion that had NEVER been properly washed or waxed with an orange flat pad and a PCXP and had no problem getting out YEARS of scratches and swirls.
    I have read a few threads where guys weren't to impressed with the CCS pads and preferred the flat pads. My truck is in pretty good condition. Would it be better to put a microfiber bonnet over the foamed wool pad to remove the wax?
    05 QCSB, 4x4, SB 3600, NV56, 35/12.5/17, 2" lvling kit, Amsoil 6080, Pusher, 5" TBE, boost fooler, TNT #3, Dipricol Pyro, Boost, & Fuel, HID's, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MaYpq2oDws

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by metalli445 View Post
    I have read a few threads where guys weren't to impressed with the CCS pads and preferred the flat pads. My truck is in pretty good condition. Would it be better to put a microfiber bonnet over the foamed wool pad to remove the wax?
    I don't use a machine to remove wax, I do it by hand. The waxes and sealants come off so easily that I view using a machine as a waste of time and effort.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    I don't use a machine to remove wax, I do it by hand. The waxes and sealants come off so easily that I view using a machine as a waste of time and effort.
    +1
    2017 Shelby GT350, 2017 Dodge Charger Scat Pack, 2016 Focus RS.

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of paint do I have?

I have been waiting for exactly this question for a long time.

Just so I could give a one word answer. But he didn't put up a picture, so I will just have to guess.

"Blue"