autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Can I use UTTG on rubber weather seals?

Or I am better off adding 1Z Gummi Pflege to my cart as well?

I'm just looking to see if I can get an 'all in one' for all exterior rubber, trim, etc... that will last a long time.

Can C4 be used on the weather seals?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can I use UTTG on rubber weather seals?

Yes, you can use it. There are quite a number of products suitable for this. Just about anything that's suitable for tires and trim will work just fine.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Rubber? Yes you can. Application differs a bit but you can and it works really well. Most likely you will decide to buff it off after a day or a week. Thats what I do and then its good for a very long time.

Now some types of weatherseal (dependant on actually seal material makeup) like underneath/inside your car door it might not be best depending on the material. For those seals I use DG 531 and buff it off 10-20 minutes after application.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Great, thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Like Bobby and CD said, yes. I use it on all the seals and love it. Apply sparingly and you don't need to buff. It lasts for freaking ever - I did our cars 2 months ago and the seals still look the same as the day I did them. Ditto with under the hood. Still has the gloss from doing it. All I've done since then is a light wipe with QD/rinseless wash.

Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered the Ultima, but I have been using the Gummi for quite a while.

When it gets here I will try to remember to do a comparison test.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to have a problem with the drivers side door glass freezing and sticking to the felt type window scraper seal that runs along the top of the door and is in constant contact with the glass. I removed the moulding/weatherstrip and applied UTTG to the felt type material and the window never got stuck last winter.

This is some seriously good stuff and very versatile.
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Just to confirm, UTTG applied to the areas mentioned above, will last for months and months (6 or more?). Or is that being optimistic. It's a daily driver but it's garaged both at home and work.

Also, will it really last on tires for months and months (again, is 6+ being optimistic)?

Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    Rubber? Yes you can. Application differs a bit but you can and it works really well. Most likely you will decide to buff it off after a day or a week. Thats what I do and then its good for a very long time.

Now some types of weatherseal (dependant on actually seal material makeup) like underneath/inside your car door it might not be best depending on the material. For those seals I use DG 531 and buff it off 10-20 minutes after application.
    Good call, Corey!

Nowadays, due to rubber having the tendency to "break down", especially under UV rays, manufacturers have been using EPDM (ethylene propylene diene monomer) in place of rubber for the seals as mentioned in this thread. Most of your vehicles maintenance manuals call for di-electric silicon grease to be used on the EPDM seals. I prefer not to, though. 303 AP works fine for me.

Just some thoughts of mine.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    It lasts for freaking ever - I did our cars 2 months ago and the seals still look the same as the day I did them. Ditto with under the hood. Still has the gloss from doing it. All I've done since then is a light wipe with QD/rinseless wash.
    That's what I've been saying man!

Quote Originally Posted by newb001 View Post
    Just to confirm, UTTG applied to the areas mentioned above, will last for months and months (6 or more?). Or is that being optimistic. It's a daily driver but it's garaged both at home and work.

Also, will it really last on tires for months and months (again, is 6+ being optimistic)?

Thanks again!
    Months and months absolutely! 6 months is optimistic on smooth surfaces (like the rubber window seal) but on textured surfaces of a garaged vehicle 6+ months is more than possible and I have seen the proof.

So many factors but I'll just say it lasts longer than anything other than a permanent coating. Oh, DG531 lasts forever on seals too.

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Good call, Corey!

Nowadays, due to rubber having the tendency to "break down", especially under UV rays, manufacturers have been using EPDM (ethylene propylene diene monomer) in place of rubber for the seals as mentioned in this thread. Most of your vehicles maintenance manuals call for di-electric silicon grease to be used on the EPDM seals. I prefer not to, though. 303 AP works fine for me.

Just some thoughts of mine.

Bob
    Nice info Bob! That is exactly one of the materials I was considering in my comment
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast