autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Need product and pad recommendations

I just bought a 92 Mercedes 300E with black single stage paint. It's pretty badly badly swirled from years of automatic car washes and I'd like to bring it back to pristine shape. I've got a PC 7424 with the Edge pad system (unused as of yet) and I'd like to get some recommendations. Is there a line of products I can use in direct sunlight? (I'm in So. CA where we really don't have winter) I have no garage or sun tent available. I figured I'd start early in the morning and take a break during the hottest parts of the day and then continue in the mid afternoon. I seem to recall reading once about a line of products that were ok to use in direct sun, maybe DP or Poor Boys or one of the others.
    Am I likely to have to use a couple of products to get rid of the heavy swirls and then finish off the micro swirls? What pads should I use with which product?

Also, for anyone familiar with Mercedes, can I use the PC to polish the grey lower cladding, which I think is plastic? Not sure if it's painted or color impregnated.

Thanks for any help

Post Thanks / Like
    Phalcon51, if I remember correctly you can use the optimum or XMT product in sunlight. Here is a link to a discussion on it. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...&highlight=xmt. Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like
    yea xmt is going to be perfect for what your doing i think, but watch the videos, they halp you understand the products more so check it out and have some fun with it

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Phalcon51,

The Pinnacle XMT products can be used in the direct sunlight and work great with the PC 7424 and the Edge 2000 pads.

As a general rule of thumb you should start with the least aggressive approach and only go as aggressive as you need to remove the paint defects. XMT offers 3 Swirl Removers, Ultra Fine, Fine and Intermediate.

Each XMT item page on the Autogeek site suggests which pad to use with each product.

I'm not 100% sure about the lower cladding on the Mercedes so hopefully someone else can help out with that question.

Post Thanks / Like
    Phalcon51--sorry I did not see about the plastic. More then likely it is color impregnated, as paint on plastic has more of a tendancy to chip, flake, or peal.

Post Thanks / Like
    XMT 1, 2 and 3 + glaze works fine. Great stuff

The lower parts i do think is colored plastic (no paint on top?) im not sure about polish on them. depends on the surface.
    EVOIX

Post Thanks / Like
    I would recommend the Edge pads, and either OP, XMT, or DP Super Swirl and Mild Swirl remover. DP stuff is on sale for $10 a peice. You can't go wrong with this stuff. PB's 1,2,2.5 are also good swirl removers too.

-Nick
    5-Star Auto Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Another vote for XMT. I love this stuff and it can be used in the heat of the day in direct sunlight on a black car (I've tested it. ) Poorboy's polishes can also be used in the sun but they dust more. Still good though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the replies! I think I'm going to try the XMT line.
    With the degree of swirling that I have, I suspect I'm going to have to start with the Intermediate Swirl Remover and probably an Edge orange pad., though I'll try something less aggressive first just to make sure.

Do I need to work my way down through all 3 grades of swirl removers, or can I go from the Intermediate to the Ultra-Fine?

Here's what I have to work with:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need product and pad recommendations-dsc00412-jpg   Need product and pad recommendations-dsc00413-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Phalcon51
    Thanks for all the replies! I think I'm going to try the XMT line.
    With the degree of swirling that I have, I suspect I'm going to have to start with the Intermediate Swirl Remover and probably an Edge orange pad., though I'll try something less aggressive first just to make sure.

Do I need to work my way down through all 3 grades of swirl removers, or can I go from the Intermediate to the Ultra-Fine?

Here's what I have to work with:
    It's really good stuff. I think you will love it. It also has awesome cleaners in it.