autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

My paint has turned flat

I have an 06 Tundra that is rarely washed, never waxed and always outside. (I know, I know, shame on me) Well as one should expect, the paint had turned from a nice bright white to a flat white on the hood, roof, and tops of the side panels. Two years ago I bought the Wolfgang Swirl Remover Kit, which includes the Swirl Remover, Finishing Glaze, and Sealant. My questions is, assuming this stuff is still ok to use after sitting on the shelf for two years-- Is this right combination of products to be using? Does anybody have any other recommendations, perhaps on the less expensive side?

I should also note that I have the PC 7424 (non XP) and Yellow, Orange, White, and Blue Lake County CCS pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My paint has turned flat

Quote Originally Posted by jetman624 View Post
    My questions is, assuming this stuff is still ok to use after sitting on the shelf for two years-- Is this right combination of products to be using?

I should also note that I have the PC 7424 (non XP) and Yellow, Orange, White, and Blue Lake County CCS pads.
    Try it. Shake the bottles vigorously for a few minutes, then try some finishing glaze on the white pad. Tape a section 18" by 18", and work that test spot until you're satisfied with the results. Step up to the swirl remover and orange pad if the finishing glaze is not cutting it.
    Enrique - Amateur Detailer Extraordinaire
    "Man is an emotional animal, occasionally rational; and through his feelings he can be deceived to his heart's content." - Durant

Post Thanks / Like

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like

I could be wrong, but Toyota used a single stage paint on the white Tundra for a while. I think your year is included. Like I said, I might be wrong on this, but you might want to make sure. Be it single stage or base coat/clear coat, I would still start out with the least aggressive combo you have. In this case a white pad with the finishing glaze. Do a test spot and see what you get with that combo.

Good luck, and line up for your flogging for not taking care of the paint!!!!
    The "artist" formerly known as M.P. Cobra Fan.

Bonita Detailing.

Post Thanks / Like

Having dealt with Toyota single stage white I'd go straight to the orange pad and the stoutest polish/compound you have to start. Go to the yellow pad if no results. That SS white (assuming this is) was one of the very few times I had to use yellow pads and Poorboy's SSR III to obtain results. Obviously that required a "step down" polishing with less aggressive stuff afterwards. What a bear that paint was.

Mike's results with the 360 AIO were quite astounding.......wish I had thought of that at the time but nothing other than rocks in a bottle touched it.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

wool pad on a makita works for me all the time down here in se fl the sun is killer down here.also put some sealer on when your done will help alot.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually detailed a white 2006 Toyota Tundra recently. I was surprised how flat the paint was. I had to start with Optimum Compount II on an orange pad and go from there. It was amazing to see the results. That was definitely the most neglected paint I have worked with so far.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by jetman624 View Post

My questions is, assuming this stuff is still ok to use after sitting on the shelf for two years-- Is this right combination of products to be using?

These products will work fine for restoring the paint if it's not past the point of no return. When a paint reaches the point of no return, no company's products will restore it. That's likely not happened if the paint is in fact a single stage paint. If it's a clear coat finish and turned flat or whitish that's a sign of clear coat failure.

How to Test for Single Stage or Clear Coat Paint

This article was written to help people with first gen Porter Cable 7724 and 7336 units, also the Meguiar's G100 and G100a, (same tools). But in reality, this article will help anyone using a DA style tool.

The short how-to guide for using a DA Polisher
    How to maximize the ability of the 1st Generation Porter Cable Dual Action Polishers

The key to removing defects with a Porter Cable DA Polisher is maintaining pad rotation because it's when the pad is rotating that the abrasives are taking little bites out of the paint to remove defects whether they are swirls, scratches, water spots or oxidation.

If you're pads are the 6.5" pads not only are they 6.5" in diameter, but they are also fairly thick and this hinders the first gen PC's from effectively rotating them.

If you haven't already, mark the back of your backing plate using a sharpie marker and this will make it easier for you to see if the pad is rotating under pressure.

Like this,

Possibly consider getting 5.5" pads which probably were not available when you purchased your original products... they've only recently become the trend...

5 1/2 inch and 6 inch Buffing Pads on Autogeek's Online Store

5 Inch Backing Plates for DA Polishers - Pictures and Links

Mike Phillips

You should be able to do this...

KISS Detail - Extreme Makeover - Toyota Highlander

Before - Dull, flat, lifeless looking paint...

After, smooth, clear high gloss paint...

Be sure to only work small sections of the car at a time, divide each panel up into smaller sections like I show using tape on the hood.

Mike Phillips

All of the below articles are related to what you want to do... use this list as a resource and pick and choose the topics to read that interest you...

How to approach buffing out your car for the first time

Wet Buffing Technique

DA Polisher Trouble Shooting Guide

Here's some more and lots in my article list...

How-To do a "Section Pass" when Machine Polishing with a DA Polisher

The short how-to guide for using a DA Polisher
    How to maximize the ability of the 1st Generation Porter Cable Dual Action Polishers

The long and in-depth guide for using a DA Polisher
    The Definitive How-To Article for Removing Swirls, Scratches and Water Spots Using a Porter Cable 7424XP, G110v2 or Griot's Garage Polisher - Includes Videos

How to prime a foam pad when using a DA Polisher

Why it's important to clean your pads often...

How to clean your foam pad on the fly

How to dry a foam pad after hand washing

How to correctly fold and use a Microfiber Towel

The SMAT Pack - Everything you ever wanted to know about Meguiar's SMAT products...

The Aggressiveness Order of SMAT Products - This might surprise you!

Kissing the Finish

Knock out painted roofs first, then tackle the rest of the car...

Here's a tip... don't lift the pad off the paint till you've turned the polisher off and the spinning pad has slowed down...

What not to do when detailing a car!

The Beach Towel Tip

LSP - The definition and the story behind the term

RIDS - The Definition of RIDS and the story behind the term...

The Free Floating Spindle Assembly - The Story Behind The Story...

Handle? Or No Handle? - Using DA Polishers Without the Handle

How to break open a coating of wax and remove it by creeping out...

How to Apply Dodo Pastes Waxes by Machine

How To Apply Mothers California Gold Carnauba Paste Wax by Machine

The Final Wipe – Tips for creating a streak-free, show car finish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast