autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Baggy test question

I really like the baggy test as it reveals contaminants that you can't feel by hand,my question is after sealing with an LSP how long should you be able to go without doing it again on a DD that's garage kept.I clayed my wifes 2011 ride in April followed by three coats of KSG over a couple of weeks then followed up with 845IW a month later.I washed her car today and after it was dry I did the baggy test and could feel roughness,not horrible but worse on the horizontal surfaces.The car beads like crazy but what if anything should I do,would the same thing happen with a coating like OC or Cquartz.

Thanks
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    There nothing wrong with claying it again. It's not like sanding where your taking clear coat off, clay just removes foreign particles so go ahead and clay it again If you feel rough spots. Another thing you could do is spot clay. Meaning just do the parts of the car that feel rough; but remember, your going to have to re-wax the areas you clayed. Good luck with whatever you choose too do.
    Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Also remember sometimes if you just qd the car it may remove some of the roughness but if not then I say clay it again it's been 4 months

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Baggy test question

It's also possible when you clayed it the first time you didn't completely remove all the surface contaminants.
    Lamborghini Broward

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyguy View Post
    It's also possible when you clayed it the first time you didn't completely remove all the surface contaminants.
    Either way though all it would take is another round of claying. I will say though that you should do some sort of polishing, or at least a paint cleaner after you clay. Even the finest clays can leave micromarring on paint.

Post Thanks / Like

The first time I clayed (outside) it was very cold weather, I couldnt seem to get the Clay bar to mould very well in my hand as it was hard because of the cold. The car was brand new everyone said Clay it.. but didnt see hardly any contaminants on the clay itself. Surface felt smooth anyways after but I think it was a waste..maybe it was just that type of clay bar or the cold weather making the job a lot harder. :P

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by row011 View Post
    The first time I clayed (outside) it was very cold weather, I couldnt seem to get the Clay bar to mould very well in my hand as it was hard because of the cold. The car was brand new everyone said Clay it.. but didnt see hardly any contaminants on the clay itself. Surface felt smooth anyways after but I think it was a waste..maybe it was just that type of clay bar or the cold weather making the job a lot harder. :P
    You can let a claybar soak in hot water (as hot as you can get it) for a while and it will stay soft. Also if you have access you can stick it in a mirowave for a few seconds. Really helps when claying in cold weather.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyguy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flannigan View Post
    Either way though all it would take is another round of claying. I will say though that you should do some sort of polishing, or at least a paint cleaner after you clay. Even the finest clays can leave micromarring on paint.
    Thanks for the replies.I did clay the car and did the baggy test prior to sealing/waxing but didn't use any polish,it's pearl white and wasn't showing any signs of marring.I would have thought that it would have stayed contaminant free longer. Will cquarts and OC 2.0 react the same way,and will claying remove the coating?

Ken