autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ultra Soft Clear Coat?! Tips Tricks?!

I'm in the process of doing a full paint correction on a 66 Vette Stingray. It's black of course! So, the correction process is going very slowly as I expected. The paint is extremely hard to correct which I already know about Vettes. However, the clear on this car is the softest I've ever come across. The car had a full frame off restoration done 3 years ago. The owner then brought it to a local shop to have some motor work done, and the guy at this shop decided to wash and attempt to buff it out. Let's just say that this car is COVERED in holograms. Here is a pic of the hood...sorry for the crappy pic I took it on my iPhone.

Anyway, after messing around with different producst, pads, etc to find the right combo I finally settled on my Flex using the orange compressor pads and WG Total swirl remover, followed up by Menz PO85rd on a greed LC CCS pad on my PC. I initially went with the white pad but was getting tick marks.

Anyway, now I'm having the issue that when I remove the PO85rd, I'm putting slight scratches back into the paint when I wipe. I'm using the Sasquatch MF's from CG which are the softest MF's I have. Even being very gentle and not putting any pressure down they are still leaving slight marks. It's driving me absolutely insane.

I've tried using some ONR diluted to quick detailer to assist in removing the product, but even that isn't working.

Any tips or suggestions on how I can keep this from happening. I'm scared I'm going to do all this work and then when I do my final wash to remove all the polishing oils that I'm going to end up with a surface that isn't flawless.

As always I appreciate all the help!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ultra Soft Clear Coat?! Tips Tricks?!

any way to bring the temp down by running an AC in an enclosed space?

Maybe wrap your softest MF around a new grout sponge for further cushioning and to minimize pressure points?

I've never used any of these suggestions just trying to brainstorm here. Are you going to put a coating on it afterwards?

Good luck man!
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by embolism View Post
    any way to bring the temp down by running an AC in an enclosed space?

Maybe wrap your softest MF around a new grout sponge for further cushioning and to minimize pressure points?

I've never used any of these suggestions just trying to brainstorm here. Are you going to put a coating on it afterwards?

Good luck man!
    Unfortunately I can't run any AC. It's in the customer's garage which is not heated or cooled.

I could try the grout sponge idea, but I'm really not sure if that is going to help. Like I said I'm not using any pressure what so ever. I fold my softest MF in 4, lay it on the paint and lightly remove the product.

Post Thanks / Like

Try some opticlean or other waterless wash to wipe off. I did a red vette a few months ago and wiping with the softest towel, with no pressure, with plenty of opti clean was the only way to avoid putting swirls back in the paint.

GO LUCK!

Post Thanks / Like

if there that bad If it was me I would try a yelo wool pad and my makita and run it at 1000 rpm on a test spot frist to see how it works .when they keep coming back the way your doing it you maybe are just filling them in and when you use the mf your pulling out the fillers .that are just hiding them.

Post Thanks / Like

Jason, I love the holograms!! I wonder if someone used a rotary polisher? LOL

I'm not doubting at all but WOW that paint must like butter. How old or new is the paint? What's the temperature of the surface?

You've done about everything I can think of other than a foamy bath to float off any residue after polishing.

Have you tried using a different product for paint correction?
    Are the "slight marks" so small that a sealant or wax will fill them?

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flannigan View Post
    Try some opticlean or other waterless wash to wipe off. I did a red vette a few months ago and wiping with the softest towel, with no pressure, with plenty of opti clean was the only way to avoid putting swirls back in the paint.

GO LUCK!
    Tried that too...I washed the car with ONR and a two bucket method. So I had my buckets there, so I figured I'd try that. Worked well for removing the product, but then when i dried it it scratched. I also tried the opti-clean method. It removed the product and streaked the paint. So, when I went back to buff it off, scratches were put in.

Post Thanks / Like

Does he have a fan?

Aim it right at the panel you are trying to buff the residue off...

Never used 85rd but Power Finish and 106FA are oily and sometimes instead of wiping it off right away, I just keep working another section, then wipe the entire panel off at once. I find if I let it haze a bit it is easier to wipe off than the fresh oily residue.

Maybe the fan will help dry the residue a bit so it comes off easier?

I dunno, remember I have buffed all of 3 cars since I joined here...

Edit: how about the ONR method plus drying with a leaf blower?
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I'd like to know that as well... I've done a lot of soft blacks, but after correcting and going to PO85RD, I've not encounted that unless I was applying too much pressure in removing it. I'm stumped what to suggest...
    One thing that has definately helped with them reappearing on my black Grand Prix and the gf's black Sonata which are both very soft paints, is the new coatings. Since applying her's about 2 months ago and mine about 3 weeks ago, the little swirls that seem to reappear aren't, even doing the ONR washes...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Weed View Post
    Wow, I'd like to know that as well... I've done a lot of soft blacks, but after correcting and going to PO85RD, I've not encounted that unless I was applying too much pressure in removing it. I'm stumped what to suggest...
    One thing that has definately helped with them reappearing on my black Grand Prix and the gf's black Sonata which are both very soft paints, is the new coatings. Since applying her's about 2 months ago and mine about 3 weeks ago, the little swirls that seem to reappear aren't, even doing the ONR washes...
    I'm tempted to actually suggest a coating to the customer. However, he's selling the car. Which is why I'm doing all this work right now. I don't know if he's going to want to dump the extra money for a coating on the car too.

The paint is not flawless as it should be you'd think after a full frame off restoration. There are fish eyes all over the car, which he was hoping I could correct. Which obviously I'm not a body man, so I won't be touching.

I really spent 3 hours yesterday trying working with different products, pads, wiping techniques, different MF's, and I'm totally at a loss. And it's driving me absolutely nuts. This car is beautiful and I want to make the paint as perfect as I can. These little scratches are eating away at me. I actually had dreams about them last night! Sad I know! I even dream of detailing!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast