autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Steps on detailing a car

With all the wealth of knowledge and videos on this website and forum, I am having a little trouble putting it all together. I am curious to know what are the proper steps when you fully detail a car (wash/dry, clay, polish, wax)? I stopped by Kragen auto and asked the sales associate, from what he said, wash/dry then polish then wax then clay.

Next question is, if the car is clayed in the wrong order will it harm the car? Since I do not have enough time to do the whole detailing process by myself. I am going to take it to a shop that is reputable and does hand wash/dry using quality products, but knowing that this place does NOT clay the car, but only will wash/dry then wax, if I decide to clay the car on my own after the wax, will that be okay?

Finally I am curious to know if it is okay to use a "quick detailer" after the whole washing/drying/polishing/waxing/claying. From what I understand a quick detailer is used for "spot/touch up" treatments to keep the car looking good. And If it is okay to use on the car, when is it a good time to stop using it and go in for another detailing job? I ask because after you do a detailing job then can you just maintain it with the "quick detailing" after that? Or is it more cost effective to do the whole detailing vs. buying multiple bottles of "quick detailing".

As far as brands go I realize that asking a question about which is the best for washing/drying/etc...would not be the best thing to do because there are so many out there and bias opinions would not offer a truthful answer, so I will do my research and try out products for myself.

Thank you for any advice and help. Much appreciated

-Nick

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Steps on detailing a car

The guy doesn't know what he is talking about. The proper order is:
    Wash
    Clay
    Compound
    Polish
    Seal
    Wax

Some can be left out, but if you want to do everything you do those. You can also do an IPA wipedown to remove the compound oils etc after each compound/polish process.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maximus20895 View Post
    Wash
    Clay
    Compound
    Polish
    Seal
    Wax

Are you sure the wash guy will do a decent job? And if all he's going to do is wash, save your money and do a nice 2 bucket wash yourself.

Then do as much claying and polishing as you have time for. Even if it's one body panel at a time. Then seal the entire car.

Over 2-3 washings you should be able to get all the steps done on the entire car. And if you're washing properly you won't be scratching up the areas you worked on last time.
    Mike at www.GreatReflections.biz
    Vancouver, WA's convenient Mobile Detailer comes to you!

Post Thanks / Like

Wash
    Clay
    Compound
    Polish
    Seal
    Wax

Some can be left out, but if you want to do everything you do those. You can also do an IPA wipedown to remove the compound oils etc after each compound/polish process.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaCougr View Post

Are you sure the wash guy will do a decent job? And if all he's going to do is wash, save your money and do a nice 2 bucket wash yourself.

Then do as much claying and polishing as you have time for. Even if it's one body panel at a time. Then seal the entire car.

Over 2-3 washings you should be able to get all the steps done on the entire car. And if you're washing properly you won't be scratching up the areas you worked on last time.
    Now I am a little nervous about taking it to this detail place based on what you guys have said. The place that I am going to take the car to get detailed is going to Wash the exterior and Wax the exterior along with interior cleaning and tire dressing. The thing that makes me nervous is will it harm my car if he does a wash/dry then immediately does waxing WITHOUT doing the claying, polishing, sealing before waxing?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wash
    Clay
    Compound
    Polish
    Seal
    Wax

Which steps can you leave out?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Nick,

The sales guy may not be familiar enough with the process and put the order of operation a bit backwards. The guys here have given you the proper sequence of steps and this will work well.

Claying should be done after a thorough wash. This step removes all the particles and debris embedded in the paint that a regular wash just can't remove. It also removes any remaining wax that might be lest leaving the surface clean in preparation for paint correction and polishing.

Quick detailer or a detail spray is used to clean up and remove minor dust and give the finish just a little boost to make it look great. Occasionally I'll use "it" then go over the car with a spray wax.

One spray wax product that rises to the top in my book is Optimum Spray Wax. This is an incredible product that goes on easily and buffs to a brilliant shine and should be used to increase the longevity of your detail.

Optimum Car Wax is a spray wax made with real carnauba and synthetic paint sealants for protection & shine! high-grade carnauba wax and silicone

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by triumph808 View Post
    Which steps can you leave out?
    It all depends what your goals are and what the finish looks like.

• Wash
    • Clay
    • Compound
    • Polish
    • Seal
    • Wax

You may be able to get away with a polish in order to remove much of the finish defects thus removing the compounding. Sealant is a product that many are not familiar with but typically protect longer than waxes and go down easily so I recommend keeping "it" and forgo the wax step.

• Wash
    • Clay
    • Polish
    • Seal

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on how bad your car is wash ,clay, polish, seal should do it . Clay will leave your paint much smother and make your sealant last longer.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by triumph808 View Post

Next question is, if the car is clayed in the wrong order will it harm the car?
    No but normally you remove anything "on top" of the paint before going for defects "in" the paint, that way they're out of the way.

The link below goes to a thread with a video you can watch that includes a fairly detailed explanation of how clay works.

Show Car Garage Video: How detailing clay works and how to use detailing clay to remove above surface bonded contaminants

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast