autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Help and Suggestion.

Hi all, I have on order a new 2006 Black Hyundai Azara. Should arrive in about three weeks. When the dealership, "so calls" details the car I have been told that they give is a good wash, hit it with a glaze and put tire shine on the tires and clean windows. This is what I plan to do when I finally get the car. All by Hand.

1. Wash Car. (using Micro Fiber Cloths for all applications}.
    2. Drying
    3. Claying Total Car.
    4. Using Clearkote Red Glaze as suggested for Deeper Color, especially on Black.
    5. Coat of Canuba Wax.
    6. Finish with a Quick Detailer.
    7. Tire Shine and Polish of Rims.
    8. Clean Windows

Would you consider this the proper procedure? I am new to the detailing world any suggestion or comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you, JoeD.
    Last edited by JoeD; 04-23-2006 at 11:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly, I would tell the dealership do absolutely nothing - especially since you are planning on detailing your car. Dealers have a nasty habit of marring cars during their "complimentary" wash...plus, their tire shine will sling all over the place making your detailing session that much harder. In regards to your regimen, you got a good one:

1. I recommend a good sheepskin wash mitt instead of MF - helps keep the detailer-induced marring down...MF/WW is great for drying though.

2. No need to dry the car if you plan on claying - I generally use the remaining water droplets in conjunction with a clay lubricant for claying.

3. Be sure your wax in a "non-cleaner" sort (Ex: Souveran, Natty's, Max Wax, etc.)

Hope this helps,
    MCA

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply and comments MCA. They are greatly appreciated. I will make sure to get the "Non-Cleaner" Wax. JoeD

Post Thanks / Like
    Ask the dealer to not "prep" the car. It is much easier to start with a dirty canvas, than a damaged canvas. Some use brushes (think broom) and other items to wash that could severly scratch the surface.

Then remember to folow the basics. Wash, clay, polish, and protect. Even new cars can stand claying and most only need a final polish to j-ewel the surface. Pick the wax or sealant of your choice, and then go enjoy that new car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Killerwheels took the words out of my mouth. I was going to also suggest that you skip the option of having the dealership "detail" the car. It will save you the heartache of damage and save you some dough too. I think Toyota charges like $460.00 for their "detailing" Enjoy your new car. Send in pics!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for the good advise. I will contact the dealership and ask them Not To Detail the car and will do it myself. The only concern that I have is that I would like to see the finish on the car and check for damages or scratches. If I pick up the car without it being clean and take it home and find some damages who's to say who caused it. But I will ask these questions to the dealer. Thanks again for the suggestions and replies. JoeD
    Last edited by JoeD; 04-23-2006 at 04:37 PM.