autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

reverse osmosis h20

I see all the talk about using distilled water for dilution or even washing if avail , how about reverse osmosis water. I'm sure it's better than tap ? might not be as free as distilled but still good to use or don't waste my time? I can get an endless supply of ro h20 from my workplace .

Post Thanks / Like

Re: reverse osmosis h20

That would work very nicely. Grab a gallon and bring it home and test it. Use it as the final rinse and let it dry without wiping. No spots? Then it is going to be a huge help.

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in apartment complex , and I know my h20 is hard here. I gonna start using onr and I also will have the nomad . I've bought gallons of distilled from walmart for all my dilutions of products. now I found I can get r.o water from work . I bought 2 5gal jugs to refill whenever I need. I'll get a wash in here soon and update on spotting . I can actually get a 2200 # container , I have no idea how many gallons that is though , from work . that be a good supply of wash water eh .

Post Thanks / Like

R.O. water will still leave some water spotting. No where near as bad as normal tap but still there.

If you use it to dilute with other chemicals and rinse or wipe them off anyway, then it should be fine. Just don't expect R.O. to be like distilled.
    "If I were stranded on a desert island and could only have one book, record and person...I'd probably die of exposure."

Post Thanks / Like

It's nice working at a university, all the DI/RO water i want for free.

If I remember correctly, these are like 1200 gallons each. I usually grab ~10 gallons at a time (get free bottles also LOL)

I use the water to dilute down concentrated chemicals and for mixing ONR for both the wash and rinse of the wash media.

Post Thanks / Like

You will be just fine using water from most RO sources. RO membranes and associated filtering VARY A LOT in terms of total dissolved solids removal, but even cheap systems are 90% or better so unless your city water is cement factory runoff you will be in good shape. I have a TDS meter that measures the in and out sides of my home drinking water RO system and it removes >96% TDS, several other stages of filters probably improve this number further. I never have an issue with water spots and our city water is from limestone wells.

Don't buy a name-brand RO system, always get a generic or build it yourself. Mass marketed systems are total junk for hte money spent.