autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

i need suggestions for a HID/LED hand held light

going to Lows and Home depot today for a few things and wanted to buy a hand held HID or LED light to bring out swirls etc. sometimes when its hot, i do not feel like using the 500W dual halogens. I was leaning towards the HID hand held because i herd the LED ones are too bright. can someone confirm this? Does anyone know a inexpensive one that they sell at lowes or H.D? Stanly maybe?

Thanks in advance for all the suggestions

-Frank-

Post Thanks / Like

Re: i need suggestions for a HID/LED hand held light

Frank I was wondering the same thing. I just wanted a flashlight

Post Thanks / Like

The Brinkmann is the way to go, I've got one in my shopping cart I'm just waiting to get the rest of the order together!

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 on the Brinkmann. It is AB-SO-LUT-ELY necessary to have this for detailing...well that's my opinion anyways. I honestly don't know how I did my first paint correction without it. I highly recommend it. The battery lasts a very long time and it really displays swirls. Lighter paint like silver and white takes alittle getting used to as you have to look at em off to the side. But if you're able to hold off what you are getting ready to do, then I recommend getting one.
    Alex
    ...."Do the right thing...even when no one is looking"

Post Thanks / Like

I have a bunch of flashlights. LED, Zenon, and an HID that I made myself out of one of those "ten million candlepower" spotlights that they always have at Costco.
    But the Brinkman Swirlfinder is the best one for finding defects in the paint.
    If I didn't already have two of them I would have ordered another on last weekends 20% off & free shipping sale.

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like the Brinkman is a favorite. Interestingly enough, the reviews on Autogeek about it aren't all that great.

Post Thanks / Like

You gotta learn how to use it right. I've seen some say it doesn't work, some say the battery doesn't last long, etc. When I first got it I was like "ahh this pos doesn't work" but I was looking at the paint wrong with it. After I adjusted, I realized how great it works. My battery just ran out of juice the other day. The last time I charged it was back in October. Granted, I only used it for one detail and after that was to do spot checks. I use it alot when I apply the XMT 360 Spray wax. I honestly don't know how I corrected my 08 Accord without some sort of light to check my work. I only had dual halogen work light.
    Alex

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alko View Post
    You gotta learn how to use it right. I've seen some say it doesn't work, some say the battery doesn't last long, etc. When I first got it I was like "ahh this pos doesn't work" but I was looking at the paint wrong with it. After I adjusted, I realized how great it works. My battery just ran out of juice the other day. The last time I charged it was back in October. Granted, I only used it for one detail and after that was to do spot checks. I use it alot when I apply the XMT 360 Spray wax. I honestly don't know how I corrected my 08 Accord without some sort of light to check my work. I only had dual halogen work light.
    So I just did a quick look at the "how to" articles on the store and didn't see a "How to swirl finder". I think even if there was an article I'd still be interested in hearing what you have to say about proper "swirl finding" technique.

Please, share!

Post Thanks / Like

I'll try to put something together to explain for you this weekend. Give me some time to do a write up.
    Alex

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VIP Reflections View Post
    going to Lows and Home depot today for a few things and wanted to buy a hand held HID or LED light to bring out swirls etc. sometimes when its hot, i do not feel like using the 500W dual halogens. I was leaning towards the HID hand held because i herd the LED ones are too bright. can someone confirm this? Does anyone know a inexpensive one that they sell at lowes or H.D? Stanly maybe?

Thanks in advance for all the suggestions

-Frank-
    Frank check out my post I found a light that works pretty well...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast