autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

suggestions on a APC for wheels/tires

what would be a good APC for factory wheels/tires? it would have to be safe of course for factory wheel finishes. just leaning towards a gallon size rather than always buying single bottles of wheel/tire cleaners.

thanks.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Re: suggestions on a APC for wheels/tires

This is what I have been using and I love it! Detailer's Pro Series Cleanse-All Exterior Cleaner 128 oz.
    Galatians 6:17
    Hello my name is Chris
    www.crownkote.com

Post Thanks / Like

I can only suppose you are referring to OEM 'Factory wheels/tires'---many, many and diverse options are available---which of these options are of your inquiry?
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

There are certainly some APC's that are recommended for both wheels and tires (some OTC as you allude to like EO A2Z) that are available in bulk, such as Optimum Power Clean and others. I've also found neutral wheel cleaners like P21S to do a decent job on tires.

However, the problem I see with your strategy is that at some point you may need an acid wheel cleaner (which can vary from very mild citric acid types, to medium HCl or phosphoric acid types, to HF-types). If your wheels are fully painted and well cared-for, the APC/neutral cleaner regimen will probably work well.

Post Thanks / Like

How about one that is:
    1) Cheap
    2) Available locally with no shipping costs
    3) Very effective
    4) Still strong at 1:4

Sound good? Go to Home Depot and get a gallon of Zep Citrus for about $12. Cut it 4:1 and Bob's your uncle. (It will say on the label do not use on paint. Ignore that. Trust me, I've been using it for years and have literally turned a bunch of people onto it). You will become a Zep convert if you use it. While you're there, pick up their professional glass cleaner that can be cut 32:1. No, that's not a typo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post
    How about one that is:
    1) Cheap
    3) Very effective

Sound good? Go to Home Depot and get a gallon of Zep Citrus for about $12. Cut it 4:1 and Bob's your uncle. (It will say on the label do not use on paint. Ignore that. Trust me, I've been using it for years and have literally turned a bunch of people onto it). You will become a Zep convert if you use it. While you're there, pick up their professional glass cleaner that can be cut 32:1. No, that's not a typo.
    You use it 1:4 regularly? do you this same ratio on carpets, vinyl, tires, engines ect? how well does it work as a window cleaner? also on the homedepot website it says its a multipurpose cleaner not an all purpose cleaner.

I found an APC at smart and final for 10 bucks in a gallon size. its called Breeze. Its been great. at 1:15 is stronger than purple power at 1:12. purple power is suppose to be a degreaser which is suppose to be stronger than an APC. I'm gonna try purple power 1:1. Breeze has been great for tires, carpets, leather, vinyl, door jams, ect all at 1:15. I feel safe using it on all of those products. breeze also dose a good job of removing smells too and after doing seats and the carpet, the car smells new. I have to say breeze really does work like magic.

I was just at the dollar store and saw 32 oz bottle of apc conentrate. and it said, "as seen on TV." i dunno if thats good or bad. La's Totally Awesome All Purpose Concentrated Cleaner and Degreaser.
    Owner of Green Mobile Car Spa
    2002 Chrysler Sebring coupe 3.0liter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by weavers View Post
    You use it 1:4 regularly? do you this same ratio on carpets, vinyl, tires, engines ect? how well does it work as a window cleaner? also on the homedepot website it says its a multipurpose cleaner not an all purpose cleaner.
    Exterior only at 1:4. Interior is 1:10.

I found an APC at smart and final for 10 bucks in a gallon size. its called Breeze. Its been great. at 1:15 is stronger than purple power at 1:12. purple power is suppose to be a degreaser which is suppose to be stronger than an APC. I'm gonna try purple power 1:1. Breeze has been great for tires, carpets, leather, vinyl, door jams, ect all at 1:15. I feel safe using it on all of those products. breeze also dose a good job of removing smells too and after doing seats and the carpet, the car smells new. I have to say breeze really does work like magic.

I was just at the dollar store and saw 32 oz bottle of apc conentrate. and it said, "as seen on TV." i dunno if thats good or bad. La's Totally Awesome All Purpose Concentrated Cleaner and Degreaser.
    Never heard of it but it sounds like a good product. I know Zep has cleaned some nasty wheels for me and for lots of other people. Try it, you won't regret it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post
    How about one that is:
    1) Cheap
    3) Very effective

I use Zep Citrus all the time. I spray it 4:1 water:zep all the time on paint if I am changing LSPs or doing any correction. I use t everywhere at different dilution ratios. However, I am just not as impressed with it on tires as I am with Amazing Roll Off. I am getting my Cobra ready for storage and doing a full detail on it. I cleaned the tires with my normal Zep cleaning and just thought I could do better. So after I was done with the zep, I reached for the ARO. After 1 minute of dwell time the ground around the tire was brown. It cleaned MUCH better then the Zep IMO. I always used it on very tops, but now it will be the only thing I use on tires.

I took a pic of the ground around the "clean" tire after the ARO. It is still on my camera, I will try to upload it tomorrow.
    The "artist" formerly known as M.P. Cobra Fan.

Bonita Detailing.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GMC View Post
    what would be a good APC for factory wheels/tires? it would have to be safe of course for factory wheel finishes. just leaning towards a gallon size rather than always buying single bottles of wheel/tire cleaners.

thanks.
    I am using Orange 88 Citrus APC but I have nver tried it on wheel. I love to use Universal Protectant for wheels and tires which I think is specially formulated for those who love a HIGH SHINE on tires. I found it better than APC for wheel and tires.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M.P. Cobra Fan View Post
    I use Zep Citrus all the time. I spray it 4:1 water:zep all the time on paint if I am changing LSPs or doing any correction. I use t everywhere at different dilution ratios. However, I am just not as impressed with it on tires as I am with Amazing Roll Off. I am getting my Cobra ready for storage and doing a full detail on it. I cleaned the tires with my normal Zep cleaning and just thought I could do better. So after I was done with the zep, I reached for the ARO. After 1 minute of dwell time the ground around the tire was brown. It cleaned MUCH better then the Zep IMO. I always used it on very tops, but now it will be the only thing I use on tires.

I took a pic of the ground around the "clean" tire after the ARO. It is still on my camera, I will try to upload it tomorrow.
    James, I agree with you. If you read my writeups, you will see I always use the Zep purple for tires. At 4:1, it brings out the brown too. That's pretty much all I use it for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast