autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Good techniques to avoid water spots / Filter

Hi autogeeks,

I live in South Florida and the water seems to be very hard down here per the following pages. (I have never tested my water out but I continue to see spots).

hard Water Map
    Water Hardness in the United Sta

I tend to wash in the mornings with most of the car in the shade. I sheet the water for the rinse and dry it quickly with a family member helping but spots tend to stick around. A quick detailing spray after for the trunk lid, roof, and hood isn't always effective.

I have looked through several posts here and it seems the CR Spotless units are the best. The filter here at AutoGeek, the Griot one, and others online don't appear to be as effective and all require drying with towels. Can anyone provide some recommendations? When these filters say 100 gallons or 300 gallons that means you need to buy more stuff after then? When do you replace the resin cartridge? When do you buy more resin? If I wash one car with this using the two bucket method every week how often will I need to buy more refills and such? I think I'll get a foam cannon soon to use with my pressure washer so that will use less water.

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in tx and do mobile detailing in parking lots and customers homes, in direct sunlight, I use optimum no rinse with the drying towels on my shoulders, wash one panel passing the towel over the panel several times to cool the surface then my initial drying towel which gets most the water off the surface followed by the next towel to completely dry, optimum no rinse also softens the water, great product you should check it out
    A passion for perfection!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Good techniques to avoid water spots / Filter

Quote Originally Posted by Perfections View Post
    I live in tx and do mobile detailing in parking lots and customers homes, in direct sunlight, I use optimum no rinse with the drying towels on my shoulders, wash one panel passing the towel over the panel several times to cool the surface then my initial drying towel which gets most the water off the surface followed by the next towel to completely dry, optimum no rinse also softens the water, great product you should check it out
    I agree about ONR. I would add an oz. to both buckets or just rinse the car with a hose and then do an ONR wash before I would get a filter and all that involves. ONR is a must have product!
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

You could also look in to a blower to dry the car. I never have a problem with water spotting when washing my car back at home.
    The "artist" formerly known as M.P. Cobra Fan.

Bonita Detailing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply. I have seen this product before and it seems to have good reviews but my car tends to get fairly dirty every week since the parking lot at my work has many trees, leaves, sprinklers, etc that really can't be avoided. My car gets spots, dust, and dirt. Wondering if this product is really suited for that level of dirt. Also, wouldn't it require many drying towels and/or microfibers and get them pretty dirty?

I have a regular electric leaf blower but never considered using it to dry my car. As I wash and dry the car I still don't know if I'd be fast enough before the spots set in. Wouldn't it have the potential of blowing particles in the air to scratch the finish?

Can anyone else comment on the CR systems? When using a regular garden hose as opposed to a pressure washer, how do you restrict the GPM to the required low level?

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes I will use my RODI system that I use to make water for my reef tank to rinse car with so there will be no spots even if I dont dry since its 0 TDS

Post Thanks / Like

I assume your RODI system is quite expensive, 05xrunner.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

na you can get them for about 130bucks or so..but they only make like between 24-100gallon per day..they are not fast..my unit has a 75 GPD membrane in it..it takes about 10gallons of water to get my whole car washed off with it. So you have to make all the water before you start..then at end I pour it over the car in buckets.
    what i have
    75 GPD RO/DI 4 Stage Economy System - English

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a lot of work to make all the water and pour it over the car in buckets. Especially for larger cars and SUVs.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

yea its not something i would say to do if you do alot of cars..but I only do my car and sometimes i get lazy and if I dont wanna dry it i will just pour it over the car

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast