autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Black (Soft,Soft) Paint

Hey Guy's,
    I'm trying to correct a 02' Camaro SS and this black paint is VERY stubborn!
    In the light of my halogen's the finish is like a mirror BUT when I put the Brinkman Xenon to it ,there are still swirls/fine scratches

I have tried these Menz/Pads:
    Power Finish (White,Grey Flat LC's)
    Super Finish (White,Grey Flat LC's)
    PO85RD (White,Grey LC's)
    OPT Hyper Polish (White,Grey Kompressor's)=This definetly was NOT the answer
    These combo's were attempted with both the Flex3401&Flex PE14-150-2.With the 3401 on settings from 5-3 and also the PE14-150-2 settings 3.5-2

Just looking at the paint will induce swirls!!

I have never ever had a paint this soft.I can't even wipe off the polish without inducing swirls.
    BTW,I do have some 205 I could try but would think that has more cut than the PO85RD?

Can someone (Please) make some suggestion's with paint that is this soft?

Thanks,
    If anyone has the right combo,i'll take care of ya.One hand washes the other

Chris
    Team Flex PE14-2 150(Serial#0005)/3401/3403/XFE 7-15

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Black (Soft,Soft) Paint

Im assuming you removed the heavy swirls, but can finish down swirl/mar free?

OPT finish polish may be what you are looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff120 View Post
    Im assuming you removed the heavy swirls, but can't finish down swirl/mar free?
    That is correct.
    I do have some Adam's Fine Machine Polish?

Post Thanks / Like

Power Finish with LC Orange, finish it down with PO85RD with Grey pad. This is the combo I use on My Caddy (GM paint, has to be similar)
    John
    Mean people suck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpegs13 View Post
    Power Finish with LC Orange, finish it down with PO85RD with Grey pad. This is the combo I use on My Caddy (GM paint, has to be similar)
    I think the orange will not finish down LSP ready for me.
    I am at the finish stage and ALL the heavy swirls are gone,just can't get the finish perfect.
    With the Halogen's,the finish is like a mirror.It's when I put the Brinkman on it

Post Thanks / Like

I feel your pain with soft paint. My car just scratched by reading your post. I was just in the garage today correcting AGAIN after Detail Fest. I use a Flex 3401 with a white LC pad with Wolfgang Finishing Glaze. Nothing else has worked for me. 205 is great but not for my car. Typically I have always induced marring with the wipedown. I re-read a Mike Phillips post recently about the "final wipe". This has helped me tremendously in the post polish marring issue.

I use a CG Sasquatch MF (folded four ways) to wipe down after polishing. Wipe down is a bad term. I use the MF to kiss the surface with no pressure. I let the fibers just glide over the surface very lightly and slowly. It takes forever but you gotta do what you gotta do. This car is getting CQuartz soon and hopefully this will solve some of my issue.

This is my own vehicle of course and a customers car may vary for ya.
    Just my .02 as I know how miserable and aggravating it can be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ImpressiveImageDetailing View Post
    That is correct.
    I do have some Adam's Fine Machine Polish?
    I would try that on a gray pad if you've got one.
    2007 Mustang GT 5-Speed
    2008 Superduty 6.4 Twin Turbo

Post Thanks / Like

I drove myself nuts with miserably soft Vivid Black paint on my Harley. 205 wouldn't finish no-way, no how. Tried this, that and the other and was ready to tear my hair out. When I finally got a super finish I left swirls wiping off the residue with the softest, plushest MF I have.

I ran across an article on MOL by Nick Chapman where he had similar problems with a Black Colorado. Tried everything. Then he decided to try some things that you'd never expect to and shouldn't work. He ended up getting a flawless, mirror finish using yellow LC with 205. Go figure. The pictures are worth searching for the article.

So I started thinking outside the box. I tried finishing polish with cutting pads and heavy compounds with finishing pads. Both goofy combos worked pretty well. But I still had the problem of imparting swirls removing residue.

I ended up achieving acceptable results by finishing with LC orange and 85RD and spritzing the residue liberally with FK425 and wiping with a Cobra WW. Still some minor, minor marring under the Brinkmann but not visible in direct sunlight. No matter, you walk by it you impart swirls. A no-win situation.

I'd suggest doing the best you can do and don't let it drive you crazy. Throw away the Brinkmann for this job. As Mike Phillips says, it can be a "cruel master" if you let it. Some paint just isn't made to be flawless.

TL

Post Thanks / Like

TLM - You finished with the orange. Did you try finishing with the white pad, and it didn't work as well for you as the orange?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Porsche Pilot View Post
    I feel your pain with soft paint. My car just scratched by reading your post. I was just in the garage today correcting AGAIN after Detail Fest. I use a Flex 3401 with a white LC pad with Wolfgang Finishing Glaze. Nothing else has worked for me. 205 is great but not for my car. Typically I have always induced marring with the wipedown. I re-read a Mike Phillips post recently about the "final wipe". This has helped me tremendously in the post polish marring issue.

I use a CG Sasquatch MF (folded four ways) to wipe down after polishing. Wipe down is a bad term. I use the MF to kiss the surface with no pressure. I let the fibers just glide over the surface very lightly and slowly. It takes forever but you gotta do what you gotta do. This car is getting CQuartz soon and hopefully this will solve some of my issue.

This is my own vehicle of course and a customers car may vary for ya.
    Just my .02 as I know how miserable and aggravating it can be.
    I will try a white/Grey pad and the WFG tomorrow,Thank you Porsche Pilot for the opinion.
    BTW,The customer is paying for a CQ application as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdutytd View Post
    I would try that on a gray pad if you've got one.
    I will try the Grey pad and the Adam's FMP tomorrow if the WFG does not work,Thank you Superduty for the response.

Quote Originally Posted by TLMitchell View Post
    I drove myself nuts with miserably soft Vivid Black paint on my Harley. 205 wouldn't finish no-way, no how. Tried this, that and the other and was ready to tear my hair out. When I finally got a super finish I left swirls wiping off the residue with the softest, plushest MF I have.

I ran across an article on MOL by Nick Chapman where he had similar problems with a Black Colorado. Tried everything. Then he decided to try some things that you'd never expect to and shouldn't work. He ended up getting a flawless, mirror finish using yellow LC with 205. Go figure. The pictures are worth searching for the article.

So I started thinking outside the box. I tried finishing polish with cutting pads and heavy compounds with finishing pads. Both goofy combos worked pretty well. But I still had the problem of imparting swirls removing residue.

I ended up achieving acceptable results by finishing with LC orange and 85RD and spritzing the residue liberally with FK425 and wiping with a Cobra WW. Still some minor, minor marring under the Brinkmann but not visible in direct sunlight. No matter, you walk by it you impart swirls. A no-win situation.

I'd suggest doing the best you can do and don't let it drive you crazy. Throw away the Brinkmann for this job. As Mike Phillips says, it can be a "cruel master" if you let it. Some paint just isn't made to be flawless.

TL
    I hear ya on the Brinkman.
    It's just that I like the personal gratification on doing a Impressive job for my customers as well he is paying for a job well done.

Maybe I'll pull it in the sun after each section corrected and see how that goes.
    Thanks for the input TL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast