autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: p21s paint cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post

Problem is, I read not to use a sealant after using p21s due to adherence issues. Would the po85rd negate that problem since its a finishing polish?
    The issue is will a paint sealant bond to paint if there's already a coating of wax on the paint?

Most would say yes because the coating of wax is acting like a "Barrier-Coating" so the protection ingredients in the sealant cannot effectively get to the paint due to the coating.

Most people would apply a sealant first, and the apply a wax over the top of it. This is loosely called Topping.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    A separate question would be if th po85rd would elminate the need for the p21s cleaner to begin with as it would remove any old sealant?

Menzerna PO85RD is a finishing polish, from this page,

Menzerna Finish Polish PO85RD

Menzerna Finish PO85RD is made with a very finely ground abrasive powder that leaves no marring or surface haze.

Though designed for fresh OEM coatings, Menzerna Polish PO85RD can be used as a gloss-enhancing polish or finishing polish on older paint finishes.

It will eliminate compounding marks and prepare the paint for wax or sealant. (We highly recommend Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0. The water-based formula is compatible with the Menzerna line and leaves the paint with a gorgeous gloss.)

It's a very light polish but it would probably remove most previously applied waxes and/or paint sealant depending upon how much of the previously applied coating is left on the paint and how you apply it. Waxes and Paint Sealants tend to wear-off via normal use of the vehicle, wear-n-tear and repeated washings, considering the coating you leave behind is thin and it's continually wearing off if the car is a daily driver, there's really not a lot to be worried about.

As for how you apply it or any paint care product, check out this article,

Factors that affect how aggressive or non-aggressive a product is...

As for waxes and sealants wearing off... see this article,

Sacrificial Barrier Coating = The purpose of a wax or synthetic paint sealant

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Porsche Pilot View Post
    Thanks Dr. Finishing pad I presume?
    I have used both LC black and white pads with great results. The white tend to help with slight oxidation a tic more with the P21s.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Porsche Pilot View Post
    Thanks Dr. Finishing pad I presume?
    Good question, I'm using a DA as well with lake country pads. Not sure which to use with the cleaner. The description says the white pad is "perfect for pre-wax cleaners" but I was probably thinking the blue finessing pad or gray finishing pad would be more appropriate. But I'm not an expert so I'd be interested in seeing what Dr. says. Oops, I see Dr. already has answered. I defer, I defer!
    Last edited by Trevor; 03-15-2011 at 01:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply Mike, I probably was less than clear. I understand putting a sealant on a wax can cause issues, and I understand wax over a sealant is topping. Specifically I was trying to ask whether the menzerna finishing polish would remove the paint cleanser (i.e. the p21s), thus eliminating any potential interaction between the p21s and the wolfgang sealant.

Does my question make any sense?

Super Member DetailedByPrecision's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

i use the p21s paintwork cleanser after all polishing is done. Then i apply sealant then follow it up with my choice of wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Does the P21S work fine by hand? All I want to do is clean off old product and any grime left behind without creating any scratches or swirls.

Does it contain a lot of fillers to it, and does it dry chalky white?

Post Thanks / Like

P21s paintwork cleanser works great by hand (it's one of my favoritee products)! I've used it for years before applyuing Z2 sealant. I've just started playing with other LSP's so I will defer to the more experienced memebers in regards to those!
    Kurt
    Is your ride a "Diamond in the Rough?"

8. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone used it under BFWD or FK1000P? I am curious. I love how it looks but have not used it alot because I mainly use sealants.

Post Thanks / Like

P21s GEPC is a hidden gem in paint cleansing lotions.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mxfly View Post
    I've used P21S paint cleaner with great results as well, especially on soft single stage paints. Gives you a touch of correction so minor swirls and scratches are effectively removed.
    How is that, if it does not contain any polish or filler/glaze stuff?

I've been wondering how do the chemical paint cleaners work. Given that car wash shampoos are meant to clean the surface but (generally) remove as little wax/sealant as possible, and we don't wash the car with dishwashing detergents or general all purpose cleaners...then what exactly are these chemical paint cleansers?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast