autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Restoring finish on diamond plate toolbox

I recently purchased a used Challenger truck toolbox for a steal of a deal, its not dented or scratched, but looks quite faded & I am wondering what the best route is to polish it up, I have a tube of Autosol that I know would do the trick, but wondering about an easier way to apply it than hand, would it ruin a wool pad? Any suggestions on how to polish up a large surface like this? Ive seen the cheap felt bobs available for drills @ hardware stores, would this be a route to go seeing as aluminum polishes up relatively easy and would save my rotary polishing pads?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Restoring finish on diamond plate toolbox

The first few diamond plate tool boxes that I polished up I did with 8" wool cutting pads and rotary but they sure do tear the pads up pretty fast and it actually takes longer than you would think using a wool buffing pad. I didn't want to limit myself and turn away work the next time someone called about doing one so I went to a chrome shop for big rigs and bought this stuff.

Hands down these attachments for my rotary are the best way to do these boxes. They turn out like chrome.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice, I have seen similar products and I think I will pick one up next time, as what I used worked out pretty good, but probably wouldnt have taken as long if I had the right pad. I just used an old cutting pad which was almost ready for garbage, but is now in the garbage after this toolbox ate it up, Meguiars cutting pad and Autosol, about 3 hours (side by side comparison obviously) Turned out great nonetheless

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job. Any way you go those boxes take time to do. Another thing is the $7 Harbor Freight Tools, S.M. Arnold wool cutting pads. At that price hey they were throw aways to start with right?