autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Aircraft cleaning with automotive products

Short of buying additional products can ONR be safetly and effectively used on small aircraft? The same question for Megs APC.

And while I'm on the subject of auto based products for aircraft, what are some good polish/wax products to use with a D/A polisher for basic cleaning and protecting of the paint. Nothing more then oxidation removal or minor correction.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aircraft cleaning with automotive products

Quote Originally Posted by mpm View Post
    Short of buying additional products can ONR be safetly and effectively used on small aircraft? The same question for Megs APC.

And while I'm on the subject of auto based products for aircraft, what are some good polish/wax products to use with a D/A polisher for basic cleaning and protecting of the paint. Nothing more then oxidation removal or minor correction.
    Sweet - this is my area of expertise.... even over auto lol! What type of aircraft and have you ever done an aircraft?!?!?!?
    Bates Detailing
    Auto * RV * Bus * Boat * Aircraft * UFOs
    http://www.batesdetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

B&B is your man for this one

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mpm View Post

Ok - here we go!!!!

1) never advertise that you are using car products on an aircraft! If I were you , I would go to granitize aviation's website and search for their XG5 APC.... I know you said short of buying other than auto products..... but you must remember that these aircraft owners spent anywhere from 50,000 dollars to 50 million dollars for their aircraft.

If you MUST use what you have cause there is a deadline..... Use a waterless wash. There are areas that cannot receive water like that of cars - such as intakes,APUs, etc. CAN BE DANGEROUS!

2) Static ports - must tape them down!!!! VERY IMPORTANT - PLANES CRASH CAUSE OF WAX GETTING IN HERE!!!

This is really important - wax gets built up in there - and the aircraft cannot read the proper yaw and pitch (I believe it is called).

3) There is lube that looks horrible in the landing gear...... but do not remove - it serves a serious purpose!

4) I advise that you get NuVite products for aircraft...... much better than anything else I have used! If you want to go cheap - use AeroGlaze ( but from my experience it sucks compared to NuVite and a polisher)..

5) the reason I ask what type of aircraft is because the size and model does matter............

Some you can stand on - others you cannot.

If you can stand on the wing - then DO NOT POLISH THE WING FIRST lol! Sounds like common sense , but I have done it a million times lol! You will find it hard to stand on a polished wing!

There are many other things - hit me up if you are interested in learning them!!!
    Bates Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

told you, ha

Post Thanks / Like

Hope you didn't get overwhelmed here lol!!!! Give me a call if you have any questions! I can walk you through quite a bit (if not all) on aircraft ...... where I started and where I'll probably end!

Anthony L. Bates
    Owner/Operator of B & B Detailing
    anthony@bnbdetailing.com
    Bates Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Will be doing single engine 4-seaters mostly. Unless someone ask me to do something bigger. I have helped my neighbor wax her wings before. Did that sound bad? That was years ago.

I don't mind buying additional product. I'm just trying to save space in my truck and preserve what little working cash I have. I figure the cost of the basic products will be covered by the first job or close to it anyway.

Thanks for the info B&B. I'll call you when I get ready to order.

Thanks for everyones input.

Post Thanks / Like

As an aircraft owner/pilot myself, B & B's advice is dead on. The best investment you can make is a very comfortable creeper to lie on. Buffing a low wing airplane is not a fun experience when you have to lay on the hangar floor or tarmac with a polisher over your head.

Post Thanks / Like

Shouldn't you ground the aircraft if you're using a polisher? And shouldn't you avoid using products containing silicone? Shouldn't you be careful around the pitot tubes as well?
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Post Thanks / Like

Static ports, pitot tubes and antennaes for sure. I only "wax" mine once a year and I use Rejex. Not a whole lot of dirt sticks to that stuff. It is rare that I do a hose and soap wash. After every flight I wipe down the leading edges with waterless wash, clean the windows with Plexus and tuck her in the hangar for the night. At 140 mph, 6000 feet in the air, nobody is going to judge my swirls!

Bottom line, like rwright and B said...protect the critical parts and you should be fine. Just make sure to do a complete walkaround when you are finished and check the flight controls...you dont want to leave a sponge or towel stuck somewhere.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast