autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Why the lack of self-serve car washes in Westchester County area?

Aside from Nyack, I have not been able to find self serve places within 30-60 minutes of White Plains. I don't mind using the one in Nyack if I'm in the area for other reasons, but to go over the $5 toll on the TZ bridge just to do a quick power wash is crazy...

Thanks for any advice on where to find a self-serve in my area.

Also, just wondering why there seems to be a lack of detailers in the tri-state area. I've seen a few on the forum from Long Island, but hardly any in either Northern NJ, Rockland, Westchester or Fairfield (maybe just 2 or 3). Am I just not finding them or are there really so few in this area?

Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why the lack of self-serve car washes in Westchester County area?

No, there's plenty of detailers up here in north Jersey, there's Phil, DSMS, KleenKar, you can always ask Poorboy Steve in Nyack I'm sure he knows them all up in your area.

Post Thanks / Like

Very few in my area too. I have yet to see one near Rockland County. Not sure why. Maybe people here don't like to clean their cars that way.

There was a "detailer" that set up on Route 59 a few months ago but he closed up shop right near the end of the summer. I think he was called Prestige Detail. Let's just say he used push brooms to wash the cars..........

Super Member Pockets@PoorboysWorld's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by newb001 View Post
    Aside from Nyack, I have not been able to find self serve places within 30-60 minutes of White Plains. I don't mind using the one in Nyack if I'm in the area for other reasons, but to go over the $5 toll on the TZ bridge just to do a quick power wash is crazy...

Thanks for any advice on where to find a self-serve in my area.

Also, just wondering why there seems to be a lack of detailers in the tri-state area. I've seen a few on the forum from Long Island, but hardly any in either Northern NJ, Rockland, Westchester or Fairfield (maybe just 2 or 3). Am I just not finding them or are there really so few in this area?

Thanks again!
    Wheres there one in Nyack?? You talkin bout the one across from the mall? I'll have to have Steve chime in as far as across the bridge washes but as far as detailers around here there arent really any quality ones that we know of at least. Most are from Jersey. But again i'll ask him for ya.
    Chris (a.k.a. Pockets)
    Warehouse Manager

Pockets@poorboysworld.com
    (845)215-9700

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pockets @Poorboy'sWorld View Post
    as far as detailers around here there arent really any quality ones that we know of at least. Most are from Jersey. But again i'll ask him for ya.
    Shucks, Pockets, you missed your chance to say "bring it around to our spring detailing weekend and we'll help you fix it right up!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pockets @Poorboy'sWorld View Post
    Wheres there one in Nyack?? You talkin bout the one across from the mall? I'll have to have Steve chime in as far as across the bridge washes but as far as detailers around here there arent really any quality ones that we know of at least. Most are from Jersey. But again i'll ask him for ya.
    Thanks so much for asking around.

Yes, the one behind the mall is the one I'm referring to. It's perfectly fine, but again, only if I'm in the area...

Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

I found one up in Mohegan Lake near me and its next to a Laundry Mat on Route six, the bad thing is outdoors and has no cover like the ones I've seen in the past. If its too cold out and can't do it my self I go to the hand wash guys and have them do it.

Post Thanks / Like

perhaps it has to do with water restrictions ??? Chemicals leaching into ground water ??? It might be like paint/repair businesses, alot of cities now frown on them for potential harm.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    perhaps it has to do with water restrictions ??? Chemicals leaching into ground water ??? It might be like paint/repair businesses, alot of cities now frown on them for potential harm.
    Knowing the NJ NY area it is the cost of land. Here in NNJ we had two next door to each other it was great. One had it's roof collapse and they tore it down. The one that is left is a disaster, your car gets dirtier leaving the place then when you entered because of all the mud filled pot holes. There are two others close to me but one is a 35 min drive and the other is a 55 min drive.

I have looked into opening my own self serve but the volume isn't there like at an automatic place to cover overhead let alone make a profit

Post Thanks / Like

I have gone to one of those self service places, like 10-20 mins away from White Plains, ( I also live in WP), But I don't remember where it is, because I went with my friend and he was the one driving... But we did't have to cross the bridge, I will ask him tomorrow and let you know where it is...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast