autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question about one step polishing.

A friend of mine just picked up a brand new fully loaded 2011 BMW M3 last week that he ordered. I told him not to let the dealership prep it or wash it, because they'll mess up the paint. He didn't seem to believe me because why would a BMW dealership mess up a $71K car was his train of thought.

Well, I went over to his house to check out the car and it has lots of swirls, buffer trails and some very light holograms. I didn't see any RIDS. The clear bra is even covered with swirls.

Is there any chance I can get the car to ~90% with one step polishing or is the BMW clear coat too hard (it's metallic black btw, not the jet black)? What would be a recommended product for a one step polish? Would Menzerna SIP on an LC orange pad be appropriate? Would I be wasting my time trying get away with one step polishing? Otherwise I'd be hitting it with Optimum Hyper Compound and then Optimum Hyper Polish.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question about one step polishing.

That would depend upon how severe the swirls are. I have used SIP and think it's a great product

If the swirls are minor, I don't see why you couldn't perform a one step polish to 90% corrected or better. You may have to perform multiple passes with the SIP at worst, but you would still be performing a "one step" polish.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used both Klasse AIO and Pinnacle XMT 360 and have gotten good results on fine scratches and swirls. That being said, you're bound to get different results from one car to the next. I would definitely give one of them a shot on a small area just to see. Could be all that you need to get the job done and would save you a lot of time in the process.

Post Thanks / Like

BMW paint is pretty hard. I have tried PB PwS and it didn't cut it. I would think that the only one step product that might have a chance is SIP.
    Barry Schultz
    DETAILED ELEGANCE

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be concerned about causing holograms on a black car with SIP and an orange pad. But if the paint is hard enough you will be ok. I would first start with a white pad and see if you can get most of the stuff out. Or maybe white pad and Power Finish? Don't just go straight to SIP and orange pad on a black car and not expect to follow it up with anything.

You'd be surprised how good a white pad and Power Finish or even Nano helps on slight swirls. And the pop it adds to the paint is just that much better!

Post Thanks / Like

What polisher will you be using?

Power Finish or SIP with a white or Tangerine pad should get some decent correction with a DA. I've worked on a few Carbon Black BMW's and they have all been pretty hard and seemed to finish down pretty well with those more aggressive combos.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    What polisher will you be using?

Power Finish or SIP with a white or Tangerine pad should get some decent correction with a DA. I've worked on a few Carbon Black BMW's and they have all been pretty hard and seemed to finish down pretty well with those more aggressive combos.
    I have a G110v2 DA polisher. I was also thinking of perhaps trying Menz 203 and the thinner 5.5" hydro-tech tangerine pads.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the G110V2, and I also use the orange pad/SIP combo often. Using that one-step combo, I worked with a 128i in the same metallic black, and I've gotten the results I think you are looking for. I am using a 5.5" CCS pad, though.

Also, I don't think BMW paint is not as hard as you think. Late-model VW paint is definitely harder.