autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Suggestions?

Hi,
    I'm new here. I've always taken pride in my detailing ability, but I've pretty much been a hand applier and didn't do much with deep restoration. Just basic hand polish bad areas and wax/seal. I took up clay barring about 18 months ago as an added step.

However, I'm a new owner of an '07 Benz C350, Black of course. So, I'm looking at swirls and scratches that I cannot hand polish out. To make things worse, when I clay barred it today, it left quite a few marks. I'd only used that particular bar 1 other time, so it should have been good . Needless to say, I threw it out afterward.

Anyway, from what I'm reading, my problems with the ceramic clear coat are going to need some mechanical help. I'm sold on the Porter 7424XP, but I wanted advice on polishing products.

Are the Menzerna products really the best choice for a black Benz? Super Intensive followed by Super Finish?? Is Glaze needed?

There are quite a few micro chips on the hood too, so I was thinking that the Poorboy's Black Hole might be good for those areas.

Finally, this is a daily driver, so I will probably be looking to use a sealant and not carnuba. I've been using the 3M Performance Finish for about a year and been pretty happy with the results, but that was with a bright red car. I fear the black paint will be less forgiving. Is the Wolfgang Deep Gloss really that good? How much better than the 3M?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Suggestions?

I haven't used any of the Ceramiclear polishes from Menzerna but I know that Meguiars M-105/205 will take care of anything you will need to do with your Benz with exception to super fine jeweling in which you would probably want to use Menzerna's PO85RD for that. The black hole will not fill the chips regardless to how small they are, it will however give a deep glossy look to the finished paint and fill very fine micro marring. I don't have experience with the Deep Gloss sealant so I can't comment on that. Hope this helps some.

Post Thanks / Like

Being a newer Benz there's good chance it has the ceramiclear clearcoat---one way to make sure is to look at the paint code tag/label. According to the latest info available, if there is a distinct and seperate 'C' in front of the basecoat/clearcoat paint code. (ex. C bc/cc), then yes you have one of at least three different types of ceramiclear the Benz is painting some of their vehicles in Germany. As for the ones assembled in the USA, no "C" is mandatory yet.

Anyway, the Menz product line is endorsed by several members on this forum---I went to 'killerwheels' posts for his input---and followed through with his recommendations.
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I went ahead and sealed the paint last night with the 3M Performance Finish which I had on hand. It looks OK from a few feet away, but I know I'll be doing some major restoration work very soon.

So, would Menzerna SIP + Final Polish be the best bet to remove swirls all around, some heavy oxidation on the roof (along with some marring from bird poo, etc), and some minor scratches here and there?

Also, if I get the stuff and polish it down within a few weeks, do you guys see any need to re-clay the finish before polishing? The car is garaged at night and in a parking structure during the day, so my car's paint seems to stay very smooth for up to a year after I clay them.

Still trying to decide on what to use for a sealant. I want it to last as long as possible but still look great. Not looking for show quality, but for long lasting protection. I'll probably get a sample of the Wolfgang product when I order the other stuff unless any other suggestions come along.

BTW, any feeling on whether one of the 'sample' size bottles enough product to treat an average car once?

Post Thanks / Like

All it takes is one particle of some sort of hard contamination (that may or may not be there) to dislodge from your paint and get on your polishing pad and you'll end up with a pigtail scratch in the paint that you probably won't even see until you are done polishing an entire section.

When polishing any car, especially black it is best to be absolutely sure that there are no bonded contaminates present before doing your polishing steps. If the scenario that I have outlined above should happen, it will likely take you longer to repair the scratch than it would to quickly clay the entire car and you'll be removing more clear than necessary to repair it. It is a very nice car and I personally would not take any chances with it.

My rule is that if I drive a car even a few miles after being clayed, I will re clay it before starting any polishing. If you don't buy what I am suggesting, to be sure simply wash and dry the car and then do the baggy test over the entire surface of the car and then if you feel even one particle break out your clay bar and if you don't feel any contaminates you're good to go but be sure. I say this through experience.

If those 2 Menzerna products are the ones that are designed for Ceramiclear (there are so many) you should be good to go. On a test section with a polishing pad, I would try the less aggressive of the two products to see how you're results come out before moving on to a cutting pad and the more aggressive product. You never know until you try but you will always want to see if you can get your desired results with the least aggressive method first. If it works out, you will have saved yourself time and clear coat.

A sample size bottle of sealant should treat you car at least twice if not 3 times. Remember thin is in. (as Mike would say)

Post Thanks / Like

I just did a one step polish with SIP on a C280. I really liked the way SIP removed and corrected alot and left the paint pretty darn good. Perfection wasnt the goal but making it look better and removing a good majority of the swirls was.

As TD metioned if there is any particle on the paint and it gets rubbed across the paint it will leave a mark. It is amazing how this can happen so easily.

Always work clean, thoroughly clay the paint, change pads often, and keep several microfibers available. I personally wouldnt touch the paint with anything but a microfiber because even a dust particle can leave a mark if it is rubbed across the paint.... I know because I did it on accident.
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
    Jon Leidgen

Post Thanks / Like

SIP and PO106/PO85rd should work well, but you should test as suggested by TD and PAR. Clean towels are a must. Use the baggy test if unsure about remaining contaminants. A clean surface does require a lot of prep, but it is your time and well worth the effort. Remember you will only polish typically once a year and spend the rest of the time maintaining depending on driving conditions and other host of environmental issues.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the tips. I will certainly re-clay it before polishing. It doesn't take much to convince me its worth the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    I haven't used any of the Ceramiclear polishes from Menzerna but I know that Meguiars M-105/205 will take care of anything you will need to do with your Benz with exception to super fine jeweling in which you would probably want to use Menzerna's PO85RD for that. The black hole will not fill the chips regardless to how small they are, it will however give a deep glossy look to the finished paint and fill very fine micro marring. I don't have experience with the Deep Gloss sealant so I can't comment on that. Hope this helps some.
    I have the Menz twins but prefer M105 for serious flaws followed by Optimum Sprays. The 8 oz. M105 will correct a lot for < $10.
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I was hoping to buy one of the bundled packages, but I see now that most of them include an awful lot of product (32oz in both the Menzerna and Meguires packs). Do these products have a limited shelf life at all?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast