autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Durability and protection with Collonite 845 during winter season

This may sound like sort of a dumb question for some since 845 is made to be durable, but I'll go ahead and ask since I live in the south east and typically do not see much winter weather. Plus, I am not really sure what the true durability of 845 really is. Unfortunaley this season has been colder and has had much more snow than any year I can recall living in the south east.

I last waxed my car with Collonite 845 x2 mixed with Polycharger CH2 around the middle of October, and usually have washed my car weekly or bi weekly since. For a while it has been too cold for handwashing, for me at least, and sadly my car has not been washed for about a month and a half. Its pretty despressing considering this is the longest I have ever went without washing my car. Usually 3 or 4 weeks at the most is the longest I have went prior. I don't drive the car when wintry weather is on the ground, but since my last wash my car has seen the nasty road brine stuff a couple times, all of a sudden they have started layering this mess on the roads even if flurries are called for it seems. Then I have been caught in rain a couple times, thanks to the always right weatherman (sarcasm).

Do I have anything be concerned about with the road brine could cause pitting or fading, or any other damage to the finish if it left on for a perior of time? This is really my main concern. With the 845 applied twice Polycharged, should this provide plenty of protection on the finish against the elements thus far?

My car has always seen hand washes, never been to a coin op in its life, so I have been holding out for the next somewhat decent day to wash it hopefully this weekend. I know that there's Optimum No Rise (actually use it as a quick detailer), and other waterless washes, but the car is to the point where a good handwash is truly necessary. What do you guys think, should the Collinite 845 still be providing good protection to my car against this so far?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Durability and protection with Collonite 845 during winter season

You'll be fine with the paint...I'd be more worried about underbody/underhood stuff and brakes/wheels with all that brine crap.

Post Thanks / Like

Collinite 845 is my go-to product and I live in New England.

Winter does through everything at you except the kitchen sink. We've had a ton of snow and bad weather this year and I've had to go a few weeks between washings but my paint still looks great once it's washed.

I've used a couple of waterless washes this winter as well as some of the no rinse products and each time I wash my truck I'm still impressed.

The best thing you can do right now is wash it by hand using your own products. The local car washes use very strong detergents that will more than likely strip and wax protection you've applied.

After washing and drying your vehicle go over it with something like Optimum Spray Wax or Pinnacle Spray Wax. Both of these are outstanding products and add another layer of protection. I use these year around.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

I too use 845 over the winter. I put some on November 2nd and it is still going strong. Once the car is cleaned, there is still crazy beading (washed it last week). I use it on all my cars and my families cars for the winter. I've even started using it for most of my paid details that ask for longer protection.

Post Thanks / Like

same here. Put some on New year's day (5 degrees C) and have washed the car 3 times at the coin op since (using their soap each time -- yes i'm lazy but in my defense it has been soooo cold).

Still beading though...

Post Thanks / Like

I put 845 on our 2000 Accord right around the first of December I believe, and I haven't touched it since then due to the nasty weather and cold. Plus, I work two part time jobs and haven't had time. However, it is supposed to be around 50 degrees or so on Sunday, so I'm hoping to get outside and do a couple maintenance washes on our cars then. I'm curious to see how well it is holding up - it has been beading fairly well when it rains, but only a wash will tell for sure.
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

I've only been able to wash my car twice this winter! My black car looks like it was sprayed with white spray paint. The salt is thickly coated over the 845. If the temperature ever gets above freezing here in Cleveland, I'll wash off the crud with warm soapy water (and the warm water will not "melt" the Collinite), rinse, and wipe dry while spraying Aquawax. That will take care of it until next time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    You'll be fine with the paint...I'd be more worried about underbody/underhood stuff and brakes/wheels with all that brine crap.
    I have been paying really close attention to all of those areas, since I know they are most prone to the mess. Under the hood hasn't seen much stuff sprayed in there, but I have been cleaning under it weekly. Wheels, brakes, and suspension, cleaned weekly, even if its 30 degress out. I have also had the car up in the air a few times already washing and scrubbing the underside. So now all I got to do is get the rest of it

Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    I put 845 on our 2000 Accord right around the first of December I believe, and I haven't touched it since then due to the nasty weather and cold. Plus, I work two part time jobs and haven't had time. However, it is supposed to be around 50 degrees or so on Sunday, so I'm hoping to get outside and do a couple maintenance washes on our cars then. I'm curious to see how well it is holding up - it has been beading fairly well when it rains, but only a wash will tell for sure.
    You're right about this TN weather being nasty cold, I am ready for it to go away and summer to hurry up. I am hoping that this weekend is warm like they are calling for, it is about time

Even if I am giving 845 a workout, its good to know that it should be holding up. I have been using it year round since I really like the look of it, but have never pushed the durability limits of it becuase I usually apply it every 2 to 3 months

Post Thanks / Like

This is my first winter with Collinite and I'm well-pleased so far. I've also done my glass. I'm just tickled with how the stuff keeps ice and snow from sticking to my windows. I can open any window at any time with no sticking from ice buildup. At $14.99 it's definitely a "best bang for the buck" product.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I used SS126 then 845. Not a problem as it looks better than picked up at the new car lot. A 2010 Honda CRV.