autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Removing Scratches By Hand

Removing Scratches By Hand

I induced straightline scratches by hand, then ran a tape line across the paint, then worked the scratches out by hand using Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover, (4 well worked applications), followed by Wolfgang Finishing Glaze, (2 gentle applications), then striped with 17% IPA

I try to do all my work by machine but there are some places a buffing pad on a machine can't get to or it's risky.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing Scratches By Hand

good illustration of what can be achieved by hand. Generally the only spots I have to resort to hand polishing are behind door handles, and sometime door jams.

Post Thanks / Like

What sort of applicator did you use Mike?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Porsche Pilot View Post
    What sort of applicator did you use Mike?
    These pads...

CCS Red Wax/Sealant Applicator Pads 2 Pack

Basically I followed the directions in this article...

How to use a hand applied abrasive polish or paint cleaner by hand

It's a lot harder to get good results by hand than it is with a machine. For example with the DA style polishers pretty much anyone can use good pads, products and technique and get show car results... by hand it takes a little more finesse...

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    These pads...

CCS Red Wax/Sealant Applicator Pads 2 Pack

Basically I followed the directions in this article...

How to use a hand applied abrasive polish or paint cleaner by hand

It's a lot harder to get good results by hand than it is with a machine. For example with the DA style polishers pretty much anyone can use good pads, products and technique and get show car results... by hand it takes a little more finesse...

Wouldn't using an abrasive pad let you achieve better correction, or at least the same correction more quickly? I always use the orange CCS hand pad, and if it doesn't finish well I follow it up with the finer one...green I think.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spicy McHaggis View Post
    Wouldn't using an abrasive pad let you achieve better correction, or at least the same correction more quickly? I always use the orange CCS hand pad, and if it doesn't finish well I follow it up with the finer one...green I think.
    Are you speaking of polishing pads (machine) or applicator pads (hand)

Either way, that second step cancels out any time saved by starting with an aggresive pad

Nice article Mike. What did you use to self inflict that damage
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post

Either way, that second step cancels out any time saved by starting with an aggresive pad

I'm talking about a hand polishing pad. And I know from experience that it would save time since less passes would be needed to get the same correction. Mike did 6 passes to get this correction. That could have easily be cut down to 3 or 4 if he started with a more agressive pad. Thats all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post

I'm not sure why you would think this Flash, since both procedures are a 2 step process. It makes sense to me that starting with a pad with some cut to it would indeed speed up the overall process...
    Signature Car Care... Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    http://www.signaturecarcare.com/
    "May the shine be with you" Uncle Stu

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Spicy McHaggis View Post
    You're correct.

I wasn't testing application material though and besides that, I like the thick, round red foam applicator pads, I wanted some controls in the testing so I used just the red CCS foam applicator pads, that's all.

If someone really wants to work defects out faster they can use a more aggressive product or a more aggressive applicator pad or both as I demonstrated in these two threads...

1-Step versus 3-Step Process by Hand

Man versus Machine

Excerpt from Man versus Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips
    Testing out the CCS Euro Foam Hand Applicator Pads
    First I tested each of the different foams with the Ultimate Compound to see how each foam formula worked to remove the defects.

Red Ultra Soft CCS Euro Foam Hand Polish Applicator
    The red foam was too soft for applying and working compounds as I thought it would be but I wanted to try it for myself so that anytime these tools are discussed on our forum or in our classes, I can speak from real-world knowledge and hands-on experience.

White Polishing CCS Euro Foam Hand Polish Applicator
    Then I tested the white polishing applicator pad and found that it worked well for with Ultimate Compound and SwirlX because of the increased firmness.

Orange Light Cutting CCS Euro Foam Hand Polish Applicator
    Lastly, I tested the orange applicator pad and found the extra firmness and aggressive nature of this foam removed defects the fastest and the most effectively with Ultimate Compound but found it to aggressive to use with a cleaner/polish.

The visual results from my testing proved that for removing serious below surface defects, the fastest and most effective pad out of the three would be to use the orange applicator pad.

Now that I confirmed which foam pad worked best on this paint system for the heavy cutting step with the Ultimate Compound, I continued with my test spot by re-working the entire area with the Ultimate Compound and the orange applicator pad.

Large Oval Shape
    The CCS Hand Applicator Pads are oval in shape and comfortably fit your hand. What I really like about the orange cutting and the white polishing pads is they are firm enough to distribute the pressure from your hand evenly over the entire face of the pad in contact with the paint.

Softer foam pads tend not to offer this benefit and for some applications that’s okay but for working out defects where you’re going to need to invest a lot of time physically rubbing on the paint the firmer pads work better.

It's actually a challenge to find abrasive products that can remove defects out of a clear coat finish without leaving any behind at the same time. In the Wolfgang line, the TSR is the most aggressive paint correction product and I wanted to limit my products to this line for another project.

Great question though...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast