autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Not happy with Poor Boys EXP or Meguiars Synthetic Sealant No 21 sealant!!

So, on November 1st, I clayed and then polished my wifes Mini Cooper S with SIP and orange pad and Nano on white pad with my PC. THe finish was almost 100% and nice and smooth. I then proceeded to coat the left side of the car with Poorboys EXP and the right side with Meguiars Synthetic Sealant No 21. THe car is not garaged and is driven daily on the highway. I washed the car partway through November and then did another wash today. There really wasn't that much dirt on the car but it did need a wash. To my surprise, NONE of the water beaded when I washed. I then used the sheeting way of getting the water off the paint and it almost STUCK to the paint. Neither of the sealants really showed any sign of still being there. I am very surprised that I could not get 1.75 months out of a sealant on a well prepared surface! I kind of expected it out of the EXP, but I didn't expect it of the Meguiars from what I've been reading here.

As a counter point, my other car has Collinite Insulator Wax on it and it still beading like a champ after almost 2 months and my garage queen has Souveran on it and is still beading well after 2 months (though it is always in the garage).

Should i just be sticking with the Collinite? I really don't see any reason to be trying anything else at this point except that the Meg's Synthetic Sealant may have some fillers in it to help keep the finish looking better longer.

Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Not happy with Poor Boys EXP or Meguiars Synthetic Sealant No 21 sealant!!

Thats too bad. I use M#21 often and see alot longer protection then that.

How long did you let it sit before wiping off? Did you apply it outside, if so what conditions? Did the sealant see rain 24hours after applied?

Ill gladly take it off your hands or trade you for something.
    Luxury Mobile Auto Detailing
    Pensacola & Orlando

Post Thanks / Like

I applied it outside in the shade on a nice fall day, probably 50s or so. I applied it with a red pad on my pc and did the entire side if the car and then wiped it off, so it probably sat for 15 minutes or so. I do not remember it raining following the application, and I usually would since of be mad that I did the work and then it got rained on!

Should I have applied it differently and that is why I'm not getting the performance I expect?

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds pretty similiar to how I apply it. Did you shake the bottle real good ( just trying to think of anything at this point that would make our results differ so much from mine )
    Luxury Mobile Auto Detailing
    Pensacola & Orlando

Post Thanks / Like

did you do an alcohol wipedown, or something similar between polishing and sealing? it's possible for leftover polishing oil's to affect a wax or sealant's ability to bond to your paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by proudpoppa View Post
    did you do an alcohol wipedown, or something similar between polishing and sealing? it's possible for leftover polishing oil's to affect a wax or sealant's ability to bond to your paint.

That's what I was gonna say.

I am about to do an Accord using the Megs 21 topped with Adams Buttery Wax or AGHD. I had heard from others that they got good protection from it. Nothing like BFWD, but still good. I got more protection then what you got from just one coat of AGHD.

Post Thanks / Like

hmmm weird.. i've used PB exp on my car before and lasted me awhile..? 3-4 months.. with beating. never tried megs 21

Jay

Post Thanks / Like

Something weird is definitely going on there, heck I get longer protection than that with Poorboy's Polish with Sealant. I love EX-P. I had less than desirable experience with the Meg's #21 though. I just didn't think the # 21 was very glossy. It kind of gives a new car on the dealers lot kind of look IMO or just ok in other words.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I guess that could be it. Maybe the oils from the Menzerna somehow stopped it from bonding, but it surely didn't stop the Souveran and the Collinite from bonding to my other cars. I'm thinking to go out there and try to strip it off the car with a IPA wipedown. Then to reapply. I really WANT to like M21 because of the price and the ease of use, but so far it isn't making me happy! I wasn't expeccting much out of the PoorBoys and it was just a sample I added to my last order.

Everyone keeps saying the get LONGER protection, but what seems to be your timeframe? 2 months? 4 months? Im looking for about 3-4 month protection without anything other than washes. No spray waxes on top, maybe a QD but without wax in it. What is everyone getting?

Post Thanks / Like

EXP needs to sit for a half hour to 45 minutes. I believe it says that on the label.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast