autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

ultima paint gaurd or optimum opti seal to seal windsheild

lookin for feedback on either of these products to seal windsheild and glass

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used RainX, Aquapel, and various waxes on glass. I currently have Opti-Coat which is permanent. On my customers cars I usually use Optiseal and it works very well. Durability is a couple of months unless you use your washer fluid often. Washer fluids have methanol in them which will remove waxes and sealants. The reason I choose Optiseal is twofold. First the it lasts about the same as the other products I mentioned and second it couldn't be easier to apply. The products I mentioned first have to haze an be buffed off. Optiseal is just wipe on and walk away. Sometimes you may have to buff a spot if you apply too much but it's not that tedious wiping you would see from the others.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ultima paint gaurd or optimum opti seal to seal windsheild

I still like Aquapel ... nice and clear, no over application, and no wiper chatter.

Scott

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by john b View Post
    lookin for feedback on either of these products to seal windshield and glass

Maybe contact the manufactures and see if they have either an official recommendation for applying their product to automotive glass or a warning against applying their product to glass.

I didn't see glass listed on the store page for Optimum Opti-Seal, nor for Ultima Paint Guard Plus

You want to be cautious about applying anything to the windshield of your car for safety reasons.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a question regarding application with a foam applicator pads.

Since its dry and has the potential to marr soft clear coats, should I use a pad conditioner(XMT pad conditioner) before using opti-seal(as I have to use less qty of opti-seal)???

or is it best to use just the product to lubricate!??

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't tried Opti-seal. I'm sure its great as well

I have used UPGP on my windshield. I can tell you it works great and is safe for glass. Just go extremely light with it.

Quote from Ultima:
    "How many applications can I get with a bottle of Ultima Paint Guard Plus?
    Ultima Paint Guard Plus is a highly concentrated car wax (paint sealant). A single ounce is enough product to wax (seal and treat) 8 to 10 vehicles, including the glass."
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post

I can tell you it works great and is safe for glass. Just go extremely light with it.

The word light would be the key word, I'm wondering how anything that leaves a physical coating and/or layer would hold up to the windshield wipers.

I know the question of applying a car wax to glass came up on lot on MOL and there was and is no official recommendation for applying a Meguiar's car wax to glass. What people do, what forum members recommend are different than what a company recommends and there could be liability issues when it comes to "official" recommendations for "windshields".

Post Thanks / Like
    I've used tons of difference waxes and sealants on my own windshields applied via da, or hand. But then again I never use windshield wipers, I'm sure the back and forth motion of the wiper would pull about any wax or sealant off pretty fast. I'll do testing. No matter if you do or dont use anything in your windshield the most important thing you can do is keep your wipers clean of debris incase you do have to use em
    A passion for perfection!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Perfections View Post
    I've used tons of difference waxes and sealants on my own windshields applied via da, or hand. But then again I never use windshield wipers, I'm sure the back and forth motion of the wiper would pull about any wax or sealant off pretty fast. I'll do testing. No matter if you do or dont use anything in your windshield the most important thing you can do is keep your wipers clean of debris incase you do have to use em
    I agree with this 100%, a clean windshield and clean wipers are essential.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    I still like Aquapel ... nice and clear, no over application, and no wiper chatter.
    For over 20 years I've been coating the exterior of my windows with a quality wax. What I've found is it does improve the water and debris repellency for a time but it doesn't seem to last more than a couple of weeks.

Yesterday for the first time I tried Aquapel.

I followed the directions to the letter. What I did find odd is the smell of what reminded me of acetic acid. Whipping the product was easy as you coat the entire windshield then wipe off until clear.

Although I intended to use it only on my windshield there was enough product to do both side windows and exterior review mirrors...

Now the test is a New England winter!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast