autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

ONR as washer fluid...?

Has anyone tried this? I was driving and with the snow and salt mix getting thrown everywhere this hit me. I have always been leary of how safe washer fluid is for paint and it hit me... could an ONR/DI water mix work?

Any input would be appreciated

Jon
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
    Jon Leidgen

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ONR as washer fluid...?

ONR/water will freeze under 32 degrees. You could maybe add some IPA to prevent freezing but I'm not sure how much it would take, maybe 40% IPA? This is all speculation but should work I think. IMO I would just stick with normal washer fluid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zliegen View Post
    ONR/water will freeze under 32 degrees. You could maybe add some IPA to prevent freezing but I'm not sure how much it would take, maybe 40% IPA? This is all speculation but should work I think. IMO I would just stick with normal washer fluid.
    Yes,I did a ONR application in the garage on Friday evening.I had a 5 gallon bucket filled with about 4 gallons of water and with 4oz of ONR mixed in it(I use ONR 1oz/1gallon),and a grit guard in the bucket.
    The temp's got down to the teens that night.I forgot the 5gallon pail in the garage.Saturday morning I went out to the garage to start the interior of a vehicle and noticed the ONR pail sitting there.It was frozen SOLID.

leaving the buckets (filled with product) in the garage this time of year.

The ONR diluted would not hold up to freezing temps IME for a windshield washer.
    Team Flex PE14-2 150(Serial#0005)/3401/3403/XFE 7-15

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a noob to this forum and using power equipment for detailing however, I have used the following in addition to the traditional anti-freeze washer fluid and it helps 1000 times more than I ever would have thought: 303 Instant Windshield Washer Tablets, windshield washer, washer fluid, wiper fluid
    plus it's in stock and ready to go! Even better. Didn't know you were being hit with this lovely white stuff down in Louisville. Be safe driving in this mess.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow ya I feel dumb, I totally forgot about freezing temps Well that kinda blows my whole theory about onr being better/safer for paint. I just cant help but think washer fluid is more prone to stripping wax or sealants if its on your paint for the same reason it doesnt freeze in cold temps. When spring/summer hits Ill give it the old college try and let everyone know.
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
    Jon Leidgen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PAR Detailing View Post
    Wow ya I feel dumb, I totally forgot about freezing temps Well that kinda blows my whole theory about onr being better/safer for paint. I just cant help but think washer fluid is more prone to stripping wax or sealants if its on your paint for the same reason it doesnt freeze in cold temps. When spring/summer hits Ill give it the old college try and let everyone know.
    IDK what it is that keeps windshield fluid from freezing,must be ethanol or ethyl alcohol.Whichever it is that keeps the product from freezing,it most likely is safe for vehicle paints.
    I can understand your concern for washer fluid being better/safer for paint,the one concern maybe that would be valid (stripping LSP's ?).
    Team Flex PE14-2 150(Serial#0005)/3401/3403/XFE 7-15

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ImpressiveImageDetailing View Post
    IDK what it is that keeps windshield fluid from freezing
    Its Methanol and it needs to be about 40% by volume in the Northern US and Canada.
    Fred R. Elias Jr.
    Warren, MI. 48091
    1-586-755-1245

Post Thanks / Like

I tried it a few years back in the summer, and it didn't do a very good job.

Post Thanks / Like
    ONR has lots of uses but washer fluid isn't one of them. Dedicated washer fluids are effective because of the high methanol and detergent content. Nothing in ONR or any other car wash product will cut thru stuff and flash off like that. Maybe if we invented microfiber wipers...hmmm!