autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What's my problem?

I've been buffing cars every weekend for about 3 months. I started out with a G110v2 and 7" pads. The G110v2's cord shorted out and sent it in for a replacement. In the meantime, I still have cars to do and decided to get a PC 7424XP as a backup from AG. I went with the 5" backing plate and 5 1/2" Lake Country pads because I have read that I'll get better results.
    Today, I had a new Kia that's about 3-4 months old. Freshly washed and all I did was put NXT 2.0 using a red 5 1/2" Lake Country pad. PC was set between 3 & 4. Why won't my pad spin? I've marked my backing plate so I could see if it would spin and it rarely would. I tried no pressure, some pressure and a lot of pressure. Best results were between some and lot. Pad flat on the surface. Am I doing something wrong here, does the PC have enough power, is the red pad the wrong one, however the website says to apply wax with the red one.
    When I had the G110v2 using the black 7" pad, I had no problems with it spinning.

Next week I have a white Camero that's in terrible shape. I plan on using D151 to bring back the color and give it a wet shiny look. Am I going to have problems with the pad spinning using D151? I know the G110v2 using the 7" yellow pads work just fine.

I need help from the pros. Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for your help.
    Skip

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's my problem?

Does it spin if you apply no pressure to the pad? I am thinking that you may be applying too much pressure.

2011 Nissan Xterra Pro-4x: Avalanche White
    2006 Nissan 350Z Touring 6MT: Redline Red

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fairlady350z View Post
    Does it spin if you apply no pressure to the pad? I am thinking that you may be applying too much pressure.
    I thought I was applying too much pressure too, I had to actually lift up on the PC to get it to spin. Yes it did spin some, but not very much. That's why I'm here, thought someone else had this problem and knew the solution.

Post Thanks / Like

One problem could be that you are using a mildly abrasive product NXT 2.0 with a pad that is very soft and has no cut. The pad may be sticking to the paint because of this.

Have you tried a white ccs pad with NXT? this has yielded nice results for me whereas the blue ccs sticks a little bit unless I am using a pure wax or sealant.

IME the denser and stiffer pads are harder to bog down using an abrasive product than the softer pads. The softer pads glide nicely with products like souveran, UPP, and Fuzion. I don't know if there is a logical explanation to this.
    Jon Miles

Post Thanks / Like

Did you install the washer behind the backing plate? It comes in the bag with all the paperwork that no one reads. It makes the difference, also, don't be scared to bump up the speed.
    Famous last words of a redneck- "Hold my beer, watch this "

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with above bump up the speed, assuming the washer was installed.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JonMiles View Post
    One problem could be that you are using a mildly abrasive product NXT 2.0 with a pad that is very soft and has no cut. The pad may be sticking to the paint because of this.

Have you tried a white ccs pad with NXT? this has yielded nice results for me whereas the blue ccs sticks a little bit unless I am using a pure wax or sealant.

IME the denser and stiffer pads are harder to bog down using an abrasive product than the softer pads. The softer pads glide nicely with products like souveran, UPP, and Fuzion. I don't know if there is a logical explanation to this.
    I could be wrong but I don't believe there is anything abrasive in NXT 2.0. I'm beginning to think the pad isn't soft enough. The red pads definitely are not as soft as Meguiar's 7" black pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snowking724 View Post
    Did you install the washer behind the backing plate? It comes in the bag with all the paperwork that no one reads. It makes the difference, also, don't be scared to bump up the speed.
    I had to double check, yep, the washer is there. Excuse me for the question but what does a washer have to do with the pad not spinning?

Well, I did bump it up to 4 and 4 1/2 and I did get more spin but went back down. I thought you needed higher speeds for compounds and paint restoration. I'll admit I'm learning something every time I do a car but this pad not spinning is making me crazy. I guess I need to remember I'm coming from a G110v2 to a PC, but they can't be that different.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skipper1 View Post
    I could be wrong but I don't believe there is anything abrasive in NXT 2.0. I'm beginning to think the pad isn't soft enough. The red pads definitely are not as soft as Meguiar's 7" black pads.
    MSDS says it has 5-15% calcined kaolin clay...this is a mildly abrasive cleaner. It is probably added because most consumers don't know how to properly prep the paint and a cleaner helps remove old wax, oxidation, minor swirls etc. This makes the wax give better results for the regular guy, where they can see a difference in the paint after application.

http://www.meguiars.com/msds/G127.PDF

check out the purpose of the product in the link. It says wax preparation. Kinda weird.
    Jon Miles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skipper1 View Post
    I had to double check, yep, the washer is there. Excuse me for the question but what does a washer have to do with the pad not spinning?

Well, I did bump it up to 4 and 4 1/2 and I did get more spin but went back down. I thought you needed higher speeds for compounds and paint restoration. I'll admit I'm learning something every time I do a car but this pad not spinning is making me crazy. I guess I need to remember I'm coming from a G110v2 to a PC, but they can't be that different.
    Is this the washer you have installed? It is the correct one. Also if the washer is not installed the backing plate could rub aginst the machine housing causing it to not spin as designed. The Red pad is PLENTY soft enough, and the PC should be spining like crazy a 4-4.5 as long as you have it flat aginst the paint with light pressure (remeber that some pressure is required or it will just jiggle).

Signature Car Care... Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    http://www.signaturecarcare.com/
    "May the shine be with you" Uncle Stu

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast