autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

How often can I apply wax or sealant after just a wash?

Let's say that I've done a full wash, clay, KAIO, Collinite 845. I then wash my car every couple of weeks (or once a month). Can I just go ahead and re-apply the 845 directly after washing? Or do I need to polish again to remove the old wax first?

If I can just re-apply, and I want to try a different wax, can I mix-and-match? Or best to stick with 845? Same question for sealants too: let's say I use WDGPS one week, can I use PowerLock the next week (after just a wash)?

I have been using a Spray Wax (Prima Hydro) after each wash to top-up my 845, but wasn't sure if I could just go ahead and apply another coat of 845 (especially since I have used the spray wax already).

Or, could I do a wash/clay/polish/sealant (PowerLock), and then a few washes later add a wax (845) to top the sealant? Or is it best to do the sealant, let it cure overnight, then add the wax?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How often can I apply wax or sealant after just a wash?

You don't need to polish to remove old wax. You can use something like P21S TAW or a paint cleaner.
    You can layer another product after just washing but depending on the products you may not get a good bond of the new sealant. Also, if you continually apply lsp's without cleaning the paint there may come a time when clarity will be compromised.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Mike Phillips

As long as the paint is smooth to the touch after you wash and dry it and you're happy with the appearance as far as swirls and scratches go or the lack thereof... then you can re-apply a finishing wax.

If the car is a daily driver then this is where a cleaner/wax comes in handy for maintenance. The cleaners will insure the surface is clean as you apply the wax.

How To Choose The Right Wax or Paint Sealant for your Detailing Project

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. So to confirm, if I'm ok with the look/feel of the car after a regular wash, I can go ahead and add another coat of 845 (on top of 845 or PowerLock) w/o having to polish or use a cleaner? I'd rather not go the route of a cleaner wax as I'd like to use products I already have. I would only be doing this periodically anyway, will otherwise continue to just use a spray wax or even a QD after my regular washes.

Thanks again!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by newb001 View Post
    Thanks guys. So to confirm, if I'm ok with the look/feel of the car after a regular wash, I can go ahead and add another coat of 845 (on top of 845 or PowerLock) w/o having to polish or use a cleaner? I'd rather not go the route of a cleaner wax as I'd like to use products I already have. I would only be doing this periodically anyway, will otherwise continue to just use a spray wax or even a QD after my regular washes.

Thanks again!
    Yes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Yes.

Thanks Mike!