autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't Touch This

My new GG polisher and HT low profile pads arrived yesterday so I decided to get a start on the old hunting truck this afternoon. Washed it up good and then clayed the paint and got some really nasty dirt off of the paint.

The paint felt totally smooth to the touch but the baggy revealed that the paint still felt like sand paper. I used PB clay with ONR for the lube.

I worked one half of the hood until my arm was ready to fall off with minimal improvement. The PB clay just wont pull the crap off the paint.

Is Clay Magic more aggressive than the PB clay? I can buy it locally but I don't want to spend the money if it is not going to be an improvement over the PB clay. Do body shop supply stores carry a more aggressive clay?

The truck has been out in the weather for the last 10 years and has never been clayed.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can't Touch This

Check to see which Clay Magic clay they have. There's different grades of clay.
    Famous last words of a redneck- "Hold my beer, watch this "

Post Thanks / Like

#88256 Clay Magic® - The Perfect Finish Kit

Clay Magic Detailing Car Clay Products

This is the kit I can buy locally.

Post Thanks / Like

Clay Magic Medium Grade should compare to the PB clay you were using. There are aggressive clays, but those tend to leave micro-marring on paint surfaces. Unless you are prepared to remove this, I wouldn't try an aggressive clay.

Don't fret! If the contamination is bad enough it will take a lot of effort to remove. I have used 100g of clay doing just the sides of an SUV, and it took me 3 hrs. I can only imagine what you have to deal with. However, the results of claying are always worth it. The paint will look better, and wax will last longer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aerogt01 View Post
    Clay Magic Medium Grade should compare to the PB clay you were using. There are aggressive clays, but those tend to leave micro-marring on paint surfaces. Unless you are prepared to remove this, I wouldn't try an aggressive clay.

Don't fret! If the contamination is bad enough it will take a lot of effort to remove. I have used 100g of clay doing just the sides of an SUV, and it took me 3 hrs. I can only imagine what you have to deal with. However, the results of claying are always worth it. The paint will look better, and wax will last longer.
    I am getting ready to buff the entire truck. I am not worried about the micro marring. It will be gone when I am done.

Post Thanks / Like

I would search around for some aggressive clay. Not sure where it stacks up, but the DP clay works great for me. If you want something else try the Meg's aggressive clay.
    Famous last words of a redneck- "Hold my beer, watch this "

Post Thanks / Like

When you say buff:
    What products do you plan on using?
    What kind of 'buffer' do you have?
    - Rotary
    - Dual-Action
    - Orbital

The reason I ask is you will need at least a dual action polisher with foam pads and a medium-cut polish to remove any marring caused by aggressive clay. A Sears orbital (a.k.a. wax spreader) won't do it. I prefer to spend more time claying than add an extra polishing step.

That being said, Meguiar's makes an aggressive clay available here:
    Meguiars Professional Detailing Clay Aggressive
    Most likely your local store will only carry the medium and fine grades of Clay Magic, which are not as aggressive as this.

EDIT: Just read you other post about buying a DA and pads. Welcome to a healthy addiction!
    Last edited by aerogt01; 10-22-2010 at 06:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snowking724 View Post
    I would search around for some aggressive clay. Not sure where it stacks up, but the DP clay works great for me. If you want something else try the Meg's aggressive clay.
    I will make a stop at the local auto parts store that caters to the body shops and see if they have anything that would help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aerogt01 View Post
    When you say buff:
    What products do you plan on using?
    What kind of 'buffer' do you have?
    - Rotary
    - Dual-Action
    - Orbital

The reason I ask is you will need at least a dual action polisher with foam pads and a medium-cut polish to remove any marring caused by aggressive clay. A Sears orbital (a.k.a. wax spreader) won't do it. I prefer to spend more time claying than add an extra polishing step.

That being said, Meguiar's makes an aggressive clay available here:
    Meguiars Professional Detailing Clay Aggressive
    Most likely your local store will only carry the medium and fine grades of Clay Magic, which are not as aggressive as this.
    GG DA polisher with 5 1/2" HT low profile pads, Cyan and Tang. Products will be Optimum Spay Compound and Optimum Spray Polish

Post Thanks / Like

Good choice of products! Good luck with your truck. Be sure to place before/after pics so we can see it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast