autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

diamondite glass resurfacing creme and LC glass polishing pad - what to do with it all?

i've had this bottle and pad for a couple years and i have yet to use either. the creme has grit in it, as a good glass polish should. is it too harsh for glass water spots?

the pad, well, it's a very strange composition. it's dense and sparkles...for real.

i've searched the heck out of this forum and found that people were using M04 and a rotary for a while, maybe still are, for water spots and killing it.

i've read about the DP glass polish, again, for water spots. but some people said it wasn't aggressive enough.

so, anyone use the diamondite creme with success for water spots and if so, with what?

what about this funky LC glass pad i have???

i have the following at my disposal:

PC with every 5.5/3" pad color available (yellow up to red), no wool/foamed wool
    9227c with plates for the above pads

which reminds me: can i use any of the pads and tools i have with optimum compound to get rid of the spots without micro marring the glass?

thanks.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: diamondite glass resurfacing creme and LC glass polishing pad - what to do with it all?

I've had good success using M105 on an orange 5.5 inch CCS pad to remove water spots:

before

after (pardon the dust)
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Re: diamondite glass resurfacing creme and LC glass polishing pad - what to do with it all?

Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    I've had good success using M105 on an orange 5.5 inch CCS pad to remove water spots:

before
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/../gallery/data/500/medium/P8070353.jpg

after (pardon the dust)
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/../gallery/data/500/medium/P8080354.jpg
    looks great! thanks. on a rotary, i assume?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    looks great! thanks. on a rotary, i assume?
    Nope. Actually, that was with my Meguiar's G110v2.
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the description of that pad: Lake Country 5.5 Inch Glass Polishing Pad

I used that creme with the thin white hard pad on my Flex rotary to take scratches out of my friend Jr's windshield. I believe I tried the yellow foam glass pad on my PC or Flex 3401 before I resorted to the rotary...but I'd think it'd work pretty well on the water spots. It's a little confusing if the abrasives are built into the pad...why you need to use a polish at all...anyway....

Post Thanks / Like

I used the DP Glass Restorer on my badly waterspotted mirrors and it worked wonders. I just applied it with a terry cloth towel and minimal pressure.

before:
    [IMG][/IMG]

after:
    [IMG][/IMG]

Mike Phillips

i've had this bottle and pad for a couple years and i have yet to use either. the creme has grit in it, as a good glass polish should. is it too harsh for glass water spots?
    The answer is "no" but the caveat is how you apply a product is a factor, as long as you apply using something that also won't scratch glass then neither product is going to scratch the glass.

the pad, well, it's a very strange composition. it's dense and sparkles...for real.
    The pads do work with the creme to remove scratches of glass when used with a rotary buffer, it's a little messy but it does work and it will or at least should remove water spots also.

This gets back to the type of water spots we're dealing with. The spots on your glass are Type I, that is they are a deposit on the surface.

So often people think their car paint has Type I when in reality they have Type II, that is the spot is actually an etching "in" the paint and that means you'll need to abrade the paint, not simply clay it or use vinegar on it.

Since glass is pretty much impervious to chemical attack the spots are almost always topical, or Type I Water Spots.

Quote Originally Posted by built hatch View Post
    i've searched the heck out of this forum and found that people were using M04 and a rotary for a while, maybe still are, for water spots and killing it.
    That all comes from me and posts on MOL and I've explained this for more than a decade now... M04 uses a macroscopic diminishing abrasive, it's the "chunkiness" that works to remove Type I water spots off glass and the type of diminishing abrasive used in the M04 doesn't scratch glass.

Background: Lived in Oregon most of my life, it rains a lot in Oregon, as a detailer you cannot restore the shine to the paint but leave the glass covered with water spots, since I always had M04 with me I found that it worked well by hand or with a rotary to remove water spots off glass without scratching.

Other products can and will but in my experience not as well as a chunky product. M105 has abrasives but they are microscopic in size, does it work? Sure but so would spit and a terry cloth towel with enough elbow grease. It's the chunky factor that is responsible for the actual abrading off of the bonded minerals and built-up road grime. There's a thread about all this on MOL that goes into absolute depth on the issue. It's in Hot Topics I believe.

i've read about the DP glass polish, again, for water spots. but some people said it wasn't aggressive enough.
    I've only used it once for water spots and it did work, but application material and process are aways factors as it relates to how aggressive a product is or isn't.

what about this funky LC glass pad i have???
    Seems to work well for removing scratches in the glass when used with a rotary buffer.

i have the following at my disposal:

PC with every 5.5/3" pad color available (yellow up to red), no wool/foamed wool

9227c with plates for the above pads
    Wool pads work best for removing water spots off glass with some type of compound or glass polish. An aggressive foam cutting pad can work depending upon the polish. Might have to experiment or do a test spot.

which reminds me: can i use any of the pads and tools i have with optimum compound to get rid of the spots without micro marring the glass?

thanks.
    I always recommend doing a test spot to an inconspicuous area first, don't just try any product pad combo out right where the driver looks through the windshield.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    It's a little confusing if the abrasives are built into the pad...why you need to use a polish at all...anyway....
    exactly. i got it originally because of that unusual feature, but i've yet to use it for that very reason.

mike, thanks a ton for your detailed answers. i'll play around and see what's doin'. this is the exact reason why i hate collecting stuff because i'm a creature of habit- when i find something that works i stick with it until they don't make it anymore, and using new stuff isn't in my DNA. but i'll try these items.

Post Thanks / Like

use some time of window cleaner or just soapy water or just water with a razor blade, i use it for when i tint windows to get a clean surface and takes out water spots with ease

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MID View Post
    use some time of window cleaner or just soapy water or just water with a razor blade, i use it for when i tint windows to get a clean surface and takes out water spots with ease
    It might be easy on interior spots, unless you tint windows from the outside.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast