autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you stop your MF from linting?

Ive purchased about 40 Cobra MF towels from autogeek and just about every single one seems to be linting (all between 6-3 months old). THere are a couple blue ones that dont shed on the car. Never been washed with softener or regular detergent, and always on cold/cold setting and air dried.

Its just annoying that all of them seem to be shedding, no matter the color or method of drying/washing.

So how are you guys preventing the shedding on the cars? I would hate to stop detailing because I can't afford new MF towels for every detail job :/

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do you stop your MF from linting?

Try washing them in hot water with MF approved detergent and dry them on uber low heat. I have a bunch of AG MF towels and none of them lint.
    Enrique - Amateur Detailer Extraordinaire
    "Man is an emotional animal, occasionally rational; and through his feelings he can be deceived to his heart's content." - Durant

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rydis View Post
    Ive purchased about 40 Cobra MF towels from autogeek and just about every single one seems to be linting (all between 6-3 months old). THere are a couple blue ones that dont shed on the car. Never been washed with softener or regular detergent, and always on cold/cold setting and air dried.

Its just annoying that all of them seem to be shedding, no matter the color or method of drying/washing.

So how are you guys preventing the shedding on the cars? I would hate to stop detailing because I can't afford new MF towels for every detail job :/
    unfort it only takes one bad towel in a wash load to pollute all of them, in terms of linting. one or two towels might be defective and polluted your others.

i do not believe that all of your towels are genuinely shedding, especially if you bought them at different times. i could see it happening if you bought them all at once and there might have been a defective batch (i had a defective group of cobra cloths (indigo) back in the day, what a mess). but since you've gotten yours at different times that pretty much eliminates that.

for what it's worth, you'll see plenty of info on here regarding using hot water to wash their towels. people even boil them. water isn't going to hurt them, no matter how hot. i use hot wash cycle and dual hot rinses. hot water on a molecular level is very wild with a lot of action - it will help clean the towels better.

if i were in your situation, i'd try to wash about 8-10 at a time using my micro cleanse solution. i'd let them soak in the HOT agitated water for a while. then i'd let the dual hot rinses take place. this might help remove the lint. i might even try it twice. that is a bit wasteful but at least you'd know if you removed any lint.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

I do a wash with hot water and two cold rinses. Then dry with medium heat in the dryer. The dryer may remove the lint plus I think air drying makes them stiff.

Post Thanks / Like

I was reading that the dyer heat could melt them. I did dry them once with no heat..but it didn't have a different effect.

Post Thanks / Like

I was reading that the dyer heat could melt them. I did dry them once with no heat..but it didn't have a different effect.
    I air dry my MF's until they are ALMOST dry then put them in the dryer on low to take out any lint.When I clean the dryer lint trap,there's white lint.
    Team Flex PE14-2 150(Serial#0005)/3401/3403/XFE 7-15

Post Thanks / Like

I believe that is incorrect information. My dryer runs very hot and I have never had any issue with that. I would think that boiling water would be hotter than the heat of the dryer too. Just my 2 cents there though.

One thing that I do is before placing them in the dryer, I will clean the lint trap and then run the dryer empty for 10 minutes to allow all the remaining lint from the last load of clothes to be cycled through the lint trap.

I wash my towels in hot water and use Super Clean for the wash. I get the 2.5 gallon container from Walmart. I do a full load at a time and run an entire express wash with just vinegar. From the same load My DMTs from Poorboy's do not lint, my Cobra towels do not lint but my cheaper towels do lint. It leads me to believe that it is an issue with the towels and not so much with the wash.

Post Thanks / Like

I run all my MFs through the wash warm/cold normal/gentle with DP cleaner. I run an extra spin cycle then throw them in the dryer Medium. They all go through as batches as to function, IE polishing 1 load, product application 1 load, glass, etc. When I check the lint guard in the dryer I don't see any linting and some of my MFs are over a year old.

Post Thanks / Like

I do the hot wash with micro restore like everyone else. Then I toss them in the dry on low heat with some dryer balls. It helps give them a bit of a static charge. It makes for a noisy time but seems to help in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bige441 View Post
    I do the hot wash with micro restore like everyone else. Then I toss them in the dry on low heat with some dryer balls. It helps give them a bit of a static charge. It makes for a noisy time but seems to help in my opinion.
    I don't think my MFs need any extra static charge. When I go over plastic panels I get shocks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast