autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Splatter with PC on 6 setting

I'm using a 6.5 inch blue LC pad (had rinsed the pad then wrung it out and spun dried) with Meguiars 205 and keep getting some annoying splatter (am shutting off machine on the car finish). Is this because of the speed (it is shaking the heck out of me) or maybe because the pad is still slightly damp?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Splatter with PC on 6 setting

Its because the pad is damp.

Mike Phillips

Not sure how your rung out your pad but here's one method that works well to help extract all the water out of the pad to reduce splatter...

How to dry a foam pad after hand washing

After washing your foam buffing pads by hand the question often comes up,

How do I dry my foam pads?

Here's one way to dry your foam pads, please feel encouraged to find a way that works best for you.

Using a clean, dry cotton terry cloth towel or clean, dry microfiber waffle weave towel or any clean microfiber towel, roll your washed and rinsed pad up inside the towel.

Press the towel into the foam as you're folding the pad into the towel.

Then squeeze, squish and wring the towel which will force any excess water out of the foam and into the towel.

Afterwards, place your foam buffing pads upside down some place where they will stay clean where air can circulate around them and moisture can evaporate out of them.

Not a perfect method but it works...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by charlestek View Post

I'm using a 6.5 inch blue LC pad
    Since this was your first post...

Welcome to Autogeek Online!

I'm confident you're not making this mistake but for all the members and lurkers into the future...

Here's a tip... don't lift the pad off the paint till you've turned the polisher off and the spinning pad has slowed down...

Whoops!

Here's what happens when you lift a polisher off the paint before allowing the pad to slow down and stop spinning...

Post Thanks / Like

Mike and Dubbin, thanks. I did wring out the pad quite well, however I did not try the towel trick. It only splatters on setting 6, which is like holding a live volcano.

It seems I get out a bit more swirls on 6, so I am using M205. I tried Meguiars Swirl Remover, but it was not quite strong enough.

I will try some Wolfgang Swirl Remover the next time I make an order, but if I finish the car, it may not get worked on until the spring.

I would get another pad, but it would be until Monday at least to get it shipped from AG.

Mike Phillips

A little spatter is unavoidable... if you're getting a lot of splatter all the time then we may need to tweak your technique... it could be maybe you're overusing product?

Do you know how to clean your pad on the fly?

How to clean your foam pad on the fly

When I'm buffing out a car with a DA style polisher I will clean my pad on the fly after every other application of product.

If it's warm or hot out and I'm having issues with buffing cycle or wipe-off I'll clean my pad on the fly after each section pass.

Single Pass and Section Pass are both defined in this article...

The Definitive How-To Article for Removing Swirls, Scratches and Water Spots Using a Porter Cable 7424XP, G110v2 or Griot's Garage Polisher - Includes Videos

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

Thanks. I will try to clean the pad with a terry towel (what speed BTW?).

I am usually putting an "X" of product on the pad before each new section, per one of your videos. Over time, the pad does tend to get saturated.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by charlestek View Post
    Mike,

Thanks. I will try to clean the pad with a terry towel (what speed BTW?).

I am usually putting an "X" of product on the pad before each new section, per one of your videos. Over time, the pad does tend to get saturated.

Speed 5 or 6... we shot a video on how to do this but it never made it to editing yet...

Check out this article on how much product to use...

How much product do I use with my DA Polisher?

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

Regarding the pad cleaning with a towel. I appear to have some issues with my LC blue pad breaking down and shearing at the white loop backing. I did buff it into a towel, but I'm not sure if you are supposed to let the pad rotate, or just vibrate.

In any case after the cleaning, I found that the white velcro was stuck on hard to my backing plate and when I pulled it off, it detached the center portion of the white velcro away from the foam. Subsequently today, the pad started to shear way behind the white velcro, and I have to toss it.

So I'm not sure if the cleaning overheated the pad, or just a lot of use at 6 on the PC stressed it too much.

Post Thanks / Like

A tip on the seperated pad. You can cut it into a few pieces with scissors and use the pieces as hand applicators or tire applicators.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast