autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flex 3401

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Flex 3401

Hi Folks, I wonder if you could help me, i purchased a flex 3401 for my son's B day along with the Meguiars soft buff polishing kit. i am totally green on the subject, my son tells me that he needs to remove all chemicals from ie Tar etc before he starts polishing, would you happen to know what kind of product he may use to remove this certain chemical? he own a Honday Civi SI 2010, his back bumber has a fairly visible scuff on the corner, would you what kind of Pads that would be require to remover that, and what else could he use? you suggestions are tatally appreciated. thanks

Gerry

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex 3401

During the wash phase he could spray any trouble spots (tar, bugs, etc...) with either some type of bug & tar remover or an all purpose cleaner diluted down.

After he's done cleaning the car in this fashion he should get a claybar to remove the imbedded contaminants.

After THAT you can start the polishing with the FLEX because now you're working on a clean surface and trying to correct the imperfections. Honda clearcoats tend to be fairly soft and the FLEX is quite powerful, so I would start with a very light abrasive polish on Meguiar's Polishing pad (I believe it's their burgandy pad?) on speed 5 of the FLEX and inspect your work as you go before moving onto the next area.

It's very important to work a test area to see how you need to change (more aggressive polish, more aggressive pad, more pressure on the machine, faster speed on the machine, etc...)

Practice truly makes perfect when machine polishing. Tell him not to get discouraged if it doesn't work out perfectly the first time around.

BTW, that's an awesome present
    Shawn
    Houston Area Mobile Detailing
    www.FinalTouchAutoDetail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Sailor , you can use a clay with a lubrication or Meguiars body solvent to remove chemicals and tar.
    If you can't convinced them confuse them

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks a whole bunch,

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by chost10 View Post
    Hey Sailor , you can use a clay with a lubrication or Meguiars body solvent to remove chemicals and tar.
    Have you tested to make sure the Body Solvent won't dissolve the clay?

I haven't so I don't know... just asking because when I read your recommendation the first thing I thought of was there might be some kind of chemical compatibility issues...

I have some and can go test but I'd like to see what you've experienced...

Regardless, just for all the lurkers that might read this into the future, normally you would use detailing clay with a dedicated clay lubricant, not a solvent type product.

Mike Phillips

Hi Gerry,

It looks like this was your first thread and first posts to our forum... so...

Welcome to Autogeek Online

Quote Originally Posted by Sailordotcom View Post

my son tells me that he needs to remove all chemicals from ie Tar etc before he starts polishing,

Does your son read our forum? The Flex 3401 is a great tool but it needs to be held flat at all times under power or it will try to walk away from your or towards you depending upon the angle of tilt applied to the face of the pad.

This isn't an issue as it teaches you to hold the pad flat... I think I discuss this in this thread,

1957 Chevrolet Belair Extreme Makeover - Flex 3401 & Wolfgang Smackdown!

Also here's a few short videos on using this tool....

Part 1 - How To Pick the Right Car Polisher for your Detail Project
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtrdTvnZX3I]YouTube - Part 1 - How To Pick the Right Car Polisher for your Detail Project[/video]

Part 2 - How To Pick the Right Car Polisher for your Detail Project
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k92m5cJxCk]YouTube - Part 2 - How To Pick the Right Car Polisher for your Detail Project[/video]

The Flex 3401 in action...
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CtUaI_8HhE]YouTube - Performing a "Test Spot" to the paint on a 1957 Chevrolet Belair[/video]

When buffing out a car with a Flex 3401 you're going to slice up the car into smaller sections, for example you would probably slice the hood up into 4 sections, you wouldn't try to buff out the entire hood at one time...

For this reason you want to do "Section Passes" when buffing out an entire car, this video on using a DA polisher shows and talks about this...

How to do a Section Pass
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q70g83mnTn4]YouTube - How to do a "Section Pass" with a Porter Cable 7424XP[/video]

Note that the correction step is the most important as it's during the correction step that the defects are removed, if the are not removed during the correction step then they'll still be in the paint after you wipe the last coat of wax off the car it's just they'll be shiny....

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FinalTouchAuto View Post
    During the wash phase he could spray any trouble spots (tar, bugs, etc...) with either some type of bug & tar remover or an all purpose cleaner diluted down.

After he's done cleaning the car in this fashion he should get a claybar to remove the imbedded contaminants.

After THAT you can start the polishing with the FLEX because now you're working on a clean surface and trying to correct the imperfections. Honda clearcoats tend to be fairly soft and the FLEX is quite powerful, so I would start with a very light abrasive polish on Meguiar's Polishing pad (I believe it's their burgandy pad?) on speed 5 of the FLEX and inspect your work as you go before moving onto the next area.

It's very important to work a test area to see how you need to change (more aggressive polish, more aggressive pad, more pressure on the machine, faster speed on the machine, etc...)

Practice truly makes perfect when machine polishing. Tell him not to get discouraged if it doesn't work out perfectly the first time around.

BTW, that's an awesome present
    sorry, what is a claybar? i told you i was green and where can i get that stuff? do i have to go to a special store? or just a regular store, how about part for source? we have a store here call Canadian Tire, or could i order this on Autogeek?

Post Thanks / Like

I read that as 2 different options 1. clay with a lubricant, or 2. Meguiars body solvent.

Mike Phillips

A clay bar, also called detailing clay is a synthetic clay, thinks of a hi tech Play-Doh that contains a special type of abrasive that when rubbed over the paint will remove above surface bonded contaminants and restore a smooth as silk surface.

Here's more information...

The Baggie Test - How to inspect for above surface bonded contaminants

Tips and Tricks for using detailing clay

How often do I need to clay my car?

Wolfgang Elastic Poly Clay Bar - Review and How-to

Do I need to wash my car after I use detailing clay to clay the paint?

How to use detailing clay to remove "Above Surface Bonded Contaminants" and restore a smooth as silk surface.

Part 1 - How To Use Detailing Clay
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfxAesk4Po4]YouTube - Part 1 - How to use detailing clay[/video]

Part 2 - How To Use Detailing Clay
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opfK408uIxM]YouTube - Part 2 - How to use detailing clay[/video]

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    I read that as 2 different options 1. clay with a lubricant, or 2. Meguiars body solvent.
    That's how I read it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast