autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

what do you use to remove tree sap

it seems like when using clay it just rubs the sap around a bit and doesnt get it off...maybe if i used a mid or aggressive instead of light clay it would have been different but the car doesnt need to be polished as it sits and i dont want any marring from an aggressive bar...any other suggestions/products? also what can i do for other cars paint scuffs on mine?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: what do you use to remove tree sap

I've used Super Degreaser (formerly Castrol Super Degreaser) in the purple bottle from Wal-Mart. When used full strength, the sap comes right off. This has also worked just as easily on baked on sap.

Meguiar's D-Line glass cleaner used full strength works great, too. I've never used a clay bar to remove sap.

Colin

Post Thanks / Like

that stuff is safe for paint? just making sure because im going to try it on some tar and other gunk too

ive heard of using wd-40, acetone, and even invisible glass but i am hesitant to use these on paint..
    Last edited by Bullitt AK; 08-08-2010 at 05:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Place a hot, wet towel on it for a couple minutes then carefully wipe off as much as you can. Then use your choice of paint safe cleaner and/or clay for the remaining residue.

If the "paint scuffs" are just paint transfer from another car, with no damage to your car/paint, you can polish it off with a med-light polish or swirl remover. You may have to follow up with a finishing polish to get marring free results.

Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Power Clean - Excellent product for removing grease, bugs, dirt, tar, and it's paint safe even if used un-diluted. I love this stuff. Or, you can give Stoners Tarminator a try.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

This is what I use: Stoner Tarminator removes bug residue, tar, tree sap, gum and more from automotive surfaces! bug & tar remover, auto spot cleaner, car bug & tar It's paint safe and I just used it a few weeks ago on a customer's (aunt's) car. She'd park it under a tree and after a few months it accumaletd alot of sap, most of it was baked on. I tried using an agressive clay, but it was taking a long time so I pulled out the tarminator and did a number on the entire car. I let it dwell for a few minutes and washed the car like I normally do and bingo! The majority of the sap was gone. It's good stuff, I recommend.
    Enrique - Amateur Detailer Extraordinaire
    "Man is an emotional animal, occasionally rational; and through his feelings he can be deceived to his heart's content." - Durant

Post Thanks / Like

alcohol will work. we use methanol at work but regula ipa will work also, the stronger the better.

Post Thanks / Like

The best product to use is citus cleaner or your buff off chemical...spray it on and leave it on for a good 1-2 min to break down..... wipe it with a towel and bam...you are done....do this before washing the vehicle..

Post Thanks / Like

I have used ONR as a QD on dried tree sap spray it on wait a few minutes and wipe it off. If it is a stubborn stop you may have to reapply.

Post Thanks / Like

Rubbing alcohol works great!! I should know, as I have been battling the pine trees in our yard this year. Seems to be a bad season here in MA. Use a soft microfiber and make sure to have the car rinsed off. I made the mistake of not doing that. You can then wash the car and you should be good to go. Clay doesn't really work at all. I tried it.

Don

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast