autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Do it myself or leave it to professionals?

Hello everyone! I am a new member and I joined hoping to learn how to make our cars sparkle like new. We have a blac 2005 Maxima with significant swirling, a black 2002 Mercedes SUV, and a silver 2114 Mazda 3. I have been reading all your posts, advice, and watching the videos on the Autogeek site. So here is my final question. Do I attempt this myself as an amateur or do I find a detailing professional in my area to do all the paint correction, etc. and just stick to washing, waxing, and upkeep? After reading all these posts, I have learned that there are some incredible professionals out there. I have seen your pictures and I drool with envy. If you all advise that I leave it to the professionals...I would love to have a recommendation of someone in my area. We have been to a few detailing places. They wash, clay, and wax in under two hours including interior work!!! And, they use Ardex products because they are sold locally. Help me to make this decision. Any of you Autogeek experts in the Philadelphia area? We live in Bucks County near Philadelphia. Thank you in advance for your advice!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do it myself or leave it to professionals?

Welcome MaxMom! By all means you can do this yourself. If you put in the time and an investment into a polishing kit you will find everything to be user and newbie friendly. You have all the support you will ever need with these forums. I say go for it! You will most likely become hooked on polishing and then quickly spiral into fiscal hell like the rest of us. Look at the Wolfgang line. Great for just starting out and excellent results.

Post Thanks / Like

I vote you do it yourself. Not only will you end up saving money over the long haul, but you will aslo be rewarded with the satisfaction of doing the job yourself. You really don't need all the tools and equipment all of us have. I'd start by getting a DA polisher like the Griot's or the PCXP, a couple of pads and some good polishes. I would go with either the Meguiar's twins or the Wolfgang twins. The key is to hone your skills and technique. with some practice and patience you should be getting stellar results of your own in no time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Mejia View Post
    I vote you do it yourself. Not only will you end up saving money over the long haul, but you will aslo be rewarded with the satisfaction of doing the job yourself. You really don't need all the tools and equipment all of us have. I'd start by getting a DA polisher like the Griot's or the PCXP, a couple of pads and some good polishes. I would go with either the Meguiar's twins or the Wolfgang twins. The key is to hone your skills and technique. with some practice and patience you should be getting stellar results of your own in no time.

I'm not so sure about saving money, once you see what you can do, it will be an addiction. I would strongly recommend the Wolfgang Total swirl remover combo Wolfgang 8 oz. Swirl Remover Combo, Wolfgang polishes, total swirl remover, finishing glaze, machine glaze with 5.5" Lake Country Hydro-Tech pads. Lake Country Hydro-Tech 5.5 x 1.25 Inch Foam Pads, hydrotech foam buffing pads, dual action foam pads I don't think they put these in any kits (not sure why) You my not find the perfect "kit" but if you call the good people at Autogeek they will help you to build a kit that fits you. I like the Griots RO buffer but there are lots of happy people that have all makes. There will be nothing like the satisfaction you get from making your cars look like those you envy yourself! GO FOR IT!
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Do it myself or leave it to professionals?

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Your advice has been so reassuring! Keep it coming folks! I value your opinion!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buckskincolt View Post

I'm not so sure about saving money, once you see what you can do, it will be an addiction. I would strongly recommend the Wolfgang Total swirl remover combo Wolfgang 8 oz. Swirl Remover Combo, Wolfgang polishes, total swirl remover, finishing glaze, machine glaze with 5.5" Lake Country Hydro-Tech pads. Lake Country Hydro-Tech 5.5 x 1.25 Inch Foam Pads, hydrotech foam buffing pads, dual action foam pads I don't think they put these in any kits (not sure why) You my not find the perfect "kit" but if you call the good people at Autogeek they will help you to build a kit that fits you. I like the Griots RO buffer but there are lots of happy people that have all makes. There will be nothing like the satisfaction you get from making your cars look like those you envy yourself! GO FOR IT!
    First off, to the forum.

I would agree with what is written above. (you changed your avatar Buckskincolt!) As long are you are willing to put in the sweat equity, you will save money in the long run.

If I were starting over today on a budget, I would run with the Griots/Wolfgang Twins/Hydro Tech pads as my go to combo. They are the easiest to use for a beginner IMO, as the WG twins have a very long working time and will not dust up on you. Watch the videos and give it a try.

There are going to be other things you obviously need and you need to determine exactly why your black cars are swirled out so badly. Typically this is from washing the cars incorrectly, either yourself or through the Automatic Swirl Wash in your neighborhood. So look up the 2 bucket method and invest in at least some grit guards.

Then it is just learning to use the tools and deciding how DO (detail oriented as Mike P says) you want to be. Black Paint + Daily Driver usually means a whole lot of work to keep it at show car quality. Now if you set realistic standards on what a daily driver should look like, then it's a fairly quick learning process.

Sounds like you have watched some videos, so buy your products at AG (Call and talk to one of the fantastic staff there if you want help), take lots of photos and ask questions here on the forum as you need. There are lots of folks who will chime in!

Good luck!
    2016 Porsche Boxster Black Edition 6MT Sports Suspension
    2013 BMW 228i Alpine White Jon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mchess1 View Post

(you changed your avatar Buckskincolt!)
    Should I change it back? Showing off my new toy!

Quote Originally Posted by mchess1 View Post
    If I were starting over today on a budget, I would run with the Griots/Wolfgang Twins/Hydro Tech pads as my go to combo. They are the easiest to use for a beginner IMO, as the WG twins have a very long working time and will not dust up on you.
    Why didn't you tell me that? Love the WG Combo.
    The problem is someone posts they like something and you know you have to try it, and so on, and so on, and......... So much for saving money but it's so rewarding and FUN!
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!

Post Thanks / Like

Depends alot on if you have the physical abilitys and the desire to do this yourself. If the answer is yes, then I say go for it. If no, then I know of at least 3 profesional detailers in the Philly area that can take care of your needs
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maxima Mom View Post

We have a black 2005 Maxima with significant swirling, a black 2002 Mercedes SUV, and a silver 2114 Mazda 3.

A 2114?

Post Thanks / Like

I think most people find when they pay money to detailers, they don't always get what you would call a good detailer. What you see on the forum is a group of people that really take pride in their work. A lot of detailers out there are looking to make a fast dollar and do cruddy work. So if you are going to go with a detailer make sure it is someone who knows what they are doing, otherwise you will have to go behind them and fix it. If you want to do this yourself, I think you should. Its really not that hard to learn, and everyone here is always willing to help. We also have a bunch of techs on hand just a phone call away for you.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast