autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

How to attack detailing when limited on time?

Hey Everyone,
    I want to know what I should do and how it would work when detailing a car when you don't have 1-3 days to dedicate to the job. My days off vary each week. Sometimes I might get two off in a row, and others might be one day off and a few days later have another. I work at night most of the time, but on the weekends I work one or two of my shifts starting during the day.

I have a 2003 Mustang Cobra that I detailed last year, but had to drive through the winter. I have some swirls and minor scratching from snow removal. A few paint chip dings. I am wanting to get the best out of my paint for a daily driver.

I have all of the tools necessary to work on the car as well as a full line of Menzerna polishes, with Fuzion, Souveran, and Powerlock for LSP's. I stocked up quite a bit over the last year.

My thinking is washing, and claying could be done during the day or even at night when I am off. Do I have to protect the paint, if I will be polishing soon after?

If I can't do the whole car I have seen people talk about doing sections at a time, but do you do all the steps in one shot? Like test spot, then aggressive polish, finer polish, and the LSP? or can you do one night of aggressive polish if need be, then the next day do your finer polish, and then 2 days later follow up with a wash and then LSP?

I guess the main question is once you start to polish is it ok to leave it that way until you can do the next step?

Thank you,
    Don

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to attack detailing when limited on time?

Section by section is a good way to get the car detailed under time constraints. I suggest doing one panel at a time straight through to LSP, you don't want any dirt getting on the surface between polishing steps or before waxing. Once the whole car is done you can go over it again with the LSP of your choice for even coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by DonMTV View Post
    I guess the main question is once you start to polish is it ok to leave it that way until you can do the next step?

Thank you,
    Don
    Assuming you mean drive it around like that... IMO, no. Even if it is "ok" and probably won't hurt anything and you wash it first before continuing the next polishing step.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. It makes sense to take the time to all the steps to LSP and like you mentioned to another coat to get the whole car "topped" again.

Don

Post Thanks / Like

don't forget the pics, so we can see before/after too!

Mike Phillips

Wash
    Check to see if the paint needs to be clayed
    Wax using a light cleaner/wax
    Dress tires
    Clean windows

Quote Originally Posted by DonMTV View Post

Clear coats are pretty durable by themselves, it will be okay, just get to it as fast as you can and make sure the surface is clean before you apply any chemical to it.