autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Diluting Products - Why?

Ok, I have read quite a few threads about people diluting products such as quick detailer's, tire dressings, and the obvious - cleaning products. I can understand diluting cleaners such as APC's and soaps because you may need lighter cleaning ability or stronger cleaning ability. So my question is, why dilute products like quick detailer's? Why dilute tire dressings such as Opti-bond? Is it due to budget constraints? Do you have a problem with application in full strength? Please post your reason and maybe an example if you experienced a problem with a product that required you to cut it down. I think this can be an informative thread or topic for everyone. Discuss.

Richard
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Diluting Products - Why?

Diluting optibond drops the gloss level and the label mentions it (unless I've forgotten) but it's not a requirement.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried OID at the recommended dilution of 3:1 on my dark cars. It streaked! After research I went to 4:1. It works better at 4:1 IMO. Cost is not an issue for me.
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

i have never heard of anyone dilluting products that are not recommended for dillution, unless with concentrated cleaners, de-greasers and soaps

Post Thanks / Like

the only product i dilute is optimum tire dressing when dressing an engine 1 to 1 with water .only because useing it straight didnt work to well . and i heard mixing with water works better and it does.. other then that i use it straight on tires...oh and its the origanal i use..
    names tom i live in nj with my wife cindy .and our 3 children. samantha gabriella and little tom...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trhland View Post
    the only product i dilute is optimum tire dressing when dressing an engine 1 to 1 with water .only because useing it straight didnt work to well . and i heard mixing with water works better and it does.. other then that i use it straight on tires...oh and its the origanal i use..
    Interesting Tom, I'll give this a try!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

I too understand and except that APC's can be diluted for different reasons like carpet versus dash versus wheelwells for instance. I dont however consider and dilute most other products even protectants.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

I will only dilute if it states it as an option on the directions. I dilute my APC for obvious reasons. When I used opti-bond, I diluted it(1:1) to make it spayable for the wheel wells. I dilute CG Diablo wheel Gel(1:1) because it's way to thick undiluted to spray from a bottle. I don't dilute several other products that aren't recommended to be diluted(DG aquawax, Meguiars Final inspection, etc...)
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

At this point the only products that I dilute are APC+ and soap. I suppose I will try Opti-bond at 1:1...
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Richard, I started a post for what products can be diluted from original use to be used for other items. I have been diluting the APC's and found that can remove some of the other items that I was purchasing such as, vinyl, dash, leather, hard plastics and etc. I Found several of the Cleaners that can be diluted and work well. So, now I would like to find other items like Waterless rinses that can be diluted (like Wolfgang Uber Rinseless wash/wax) I'm sure there must be other products that can be diluted to create other products due to not wanting to have so many items on the shelf from a Base product. I don't mind mixing and then purchasing the items in volume. The Wolfgang used as a waterless rinse is very nice as well as a finish detailer. I use it when I go to dry the vehicle and it provides a very quick drying aide as well as a final clean up after wax.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast