autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ipa wipedown

Post Thanks / Like

ipa wipedown

is it absolutely necessary to do an ipa wipedown after polishing, and before apply sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ipa wipedown

you could probably skip it but why. it is easy and full proof and only takes about 5 minutes. i know i miss spots all the time removing polish and this just makes me feel better. my 2 cents worth

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by molarman View Post
    is it absolutely necessary to do an ipa wipedown after polishing, and before apply sealant.
    Doing an IPA wipe down will give you a true reading of the finish. It will remove any fillers left behind by the polish. This will allow you to see the true level of correction that you achieved. Also it will remove the oils left behind by the polish to ensure a better bond between your paint and your LSP.
    Signature Car Care... Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    http://www.signaturecarcare.com/
    "May the shine be with you" Uncle Stu

Mike Phillips

Just a warning... recently when doing a test spot I was doing an IPA wipe-down to check the results and some of the Isopropyl Alcohol penetrated under the painter's tape and dwelled while I continued to do some testing. (I had placed a single strip of painter's tape to better show before and after results).

Later when I removed the painter's tape there were two places that the clear paint wrinkled.

This really surprised me as this was a factory clear finish and I was under the assumption that IPA wouldn't cause any harm to the paint.

Luckily, I was able to undo the damage but I wasn't a big fan of doing IPA wipe-downs in the past and I'm even less of a fan now.

So be careful...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Just a warning... recently when doing a test spot I was doing an IPA wipe-down to check the results and some of the Isopropyl Alcohol penetrated under the painter's tape and dwelled while I continued to do some testing. (I had placed a single strip of painter's tape to better show before and after results).

Later when I removed the painter's tape there were two places that the clear paint wrinkled.

This really surprised me as this was a factory clear finish and I was under the assumption that IPA wouldn't cause any harm to the paint.

Luckily, I was able to undo the damage but I wasn't a big fan of doing IPA wipe-downs in the past and I'm even less of a fan now.

So be careful...

Don't you agree that using a solvent of some sort is a great way to make sure your work is what you think it it?

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and that is whacky, I have never experienced something like that glad it happened to you instead of me....no offense.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Brice View Post
    Don't you agree that using a solvent of some sort is a great way to make sure your work is what you think it it?
    Of course it's a good idea to at least check the results of your test spot, (I've been teaching people to do test spots since about 1993 or 1994, when I first started posting to the Internet). I think if you prove your system in your test spot and then duplicate the same process over the rest of the car you should be getting the same results. People can decide for themselves what works best for them.

I've used Mineral Spirits or an APC and never had any problems.

All I'm doing is "sharing" what I saw and experienced, everyone reading this can take from it what they will.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not judging you, just asking

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Brice View Post
    I'm not judging you, just asking
    Didn't think you were. I tend to type for a very wide audience, including lurkers...

The problem of the clear paint softening and wrinkling could have been caused by simply dwelling on the surface or it could have been a chemical reaction of the alcohol and the adhesive, I don't know but I thought I would share this so others could be cautious.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

So be careful...

Thank you for sharing this Mike! I have never heard of this being a problem before, nor have I ever had an issue with IPA wipe downs... How were you able to undo the damage? Also when you use APC to check your work, what is your process? (i.e. What is the dilution ratio, and do you just spray it on from a hand sprayer and wipe it off like doing an IPA wipedown?)
    Signature Car Care... Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    http://www.signaturecarcare.com/
    "May the shine be with you" Uncle Stu

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast