autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: ipa wipedown

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ipa wipedown

[QUOTE=DETAILROOKIE;1482759]Ahh thank you!

So do you use the mineral spirits full-strength or is there a dilution required? If so, what dilution?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

HI Mike,

For MS..........do you just do a small section at a time - spray and wipe off? Out of sunlight? or in the shade? I have never used that on paint on my car, so just want to make sure of the process that you use? I plan to apply Mequairs Poly Sealant, then waxing...........why I am asking. Thanks.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by bradycat View Post

HI Mike,

For MS..........do you just do a small section at a time - spray and wipe off?

Out of sunlight? or in the shade?

I have never used that on paint on my car, so just want to make sure of the process that you use? I plan to apply Mequairs Poly Sealant, then waxing...........why I am asking. Thanks.

Hi bradycat,

IF I were to chemically strip paint using Mineral Spirits before sealing the paint I would work a manageable section at a time, that's no larger than 2' by 2' because the product will try to evaporate before you can wipe it if you do any larger section.

And yes, do it out of direct sunlight as heat from sun will force any product to evaporate faster than no heat from the sun, so yeah... in shade or in a garage.

MOST IMPORTANT - you don't need to chemically strip paint before applying most waxes and synthetic sealants UNLESS the manufacturer tells you do do this.

If you look at the directions for Meguiar's M21 Polymer Sealant, it does NOT direct you to chemically strip the paint before using the product.

This is a bunch of mis-information shared all over the Internet by people that probably mean well but are not chemists.

4. Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Also...

Read my article on this topic here, I invested a little time to do the research and then share the inforamation to help people understnad why they DON'T have to chemcially strip paint before using waxes and sealants.

This is UNLIKE what most people do, (research and investing time writing), which is just just repeat what they read, i.e. tell others they need to chemically strip their paint before using a wax or sealant.

Miscible and Immiscible - Wax and Paint Sealant Bonding

As I often say on this forum...

Don't take something really very simple and turn it into rocket science.

6. Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: ipa wipedown

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Also...

Read my article on this topic here, I invested a little time to do the research and then share the inforamation to help people understnad why they DON'T have to chemcially strip paint before using waxes and sealants.

This is UNLIKE what most people do, (research and investing time writing), which is just just repeat what they read, i.e. tell others they need to chemically strip their paint before using a wax or sealant.

Miscible and Immiscible - Wax and Paint Sealant Bonding

As I often say on this forum...

Don't take something really very simple and turn it into rocket science.

Hello Mike,

I appreciate your reply, and your knowledge on the topic. I just ordered Mequiar's Mirror Glaze # 20 polymer sealant from Autogeek

I was trying to look for instructions on the product online, but couldn't find anything, but if that is what you found on #21, I am guessing it will be the same on #20.
    I am new to auto detailing and this is my first time to use a sealant and wanted to question the IPA or if it's needed, as I am getting confused by reading and watching videos on what to do.

I responded last nite to one of your threads, regarding how you give your expert advise, and some still question you. I would take your advise over someone who doesn't have your mastery of car detailing. Thank you for replying, and gotta say your website Autogeek rocks.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by bradycat View Post
    Hello Mike,

I appreciate your reply, and your knowledge on the topic. I just ordered Mequiar's Mirror Glaze # 20 polymer sealant from Autogeek

I was trying to look for instructions on the product online, but couldn't find anything, but if that is what you found on #21, I am guessing it will be the same on #20.
    Yes.

For the majority or car waxes and synthetic sealants on the market today and in the past, after doing any normal prep work, be it a simple wash and dry or a complex compound and polishing process, after you've finished these step you can go straight to the wax or sealant without chemically stripping the paint.

In fact - without super clean and high quality microfiber towels and a gentle touch, chances are good most people are inducing marring into their car's paint when they chemcially strip it or in other words wipe the paint down with a microfiber towel and some form of solvent that is NOT a great lubricant to start with.

Of course you won't see the marring on light colored cars, just dark and black colored cars, but if it's happending to dark colored cars chances are high it's happening to ALL colors of cars it's just the human eye cannot see the marring taking place.

M20 Polymer Sealatn is a great product. I used it, no counted on it for years when I detailed cars professionally full time. This was before the Internet and thus before hundreds of new brands of products that have popped up all over the place due to the fact the Internet made it possible for anyone to launch a product without the need for the traditional retail marketing avenue.

It has some light cleaning action so it is not a considered a pure sealant, but for most people and most cars, (most cars are daily drivers), then it is the perfect product as it will clean or remove any built-up road film as you apply it thus creating a more clear or more beautiful finish.

After applying it, allow it to fully dry and you will find it wipes off SUPER easy and leaves the paint very slick and slippery.

I would suggest moving forward to start a new and dedicated thread for your detailing questions instead of tagging them onto this established thread.

There is never anything wrong with reviving an old thread but because you have great questions, a better use of your time and my typing time would be share these questions, comments and answers in a thread that started with a title like,

Necessary to use IPA before a sealant?

Or

Tips for using Meguiar's M20 Polymer Sealant

I am new to auto detailing and this is my first time to use a sealant and wanted to question the IPA or if it's needed, as I am getting confused by reading and watching videos on what to do.

I responded last nite to one of your threads, regarding how you give your expert advise, and some still question you. I would take your advise over someone who doesn't have your mastery of car detailing. Thank you for replying, and gotta say your website Autogeek rocks.[/QUOTE]

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by howardm4 View Post

Ahh thank you!

So do you use the mineral spirits full-strength or is there a dilution required? If so, what dilution?

No.

I realize you asked this question 1 year ago but while I'm here thought I would answer you.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234