autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you use a PC 7424XP to restore cloudy, hazy headlights?

can you use this for headlight restoration? or dont they make these pads or fittings for it? is the pc7424xp the best model?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: pc 7424?

Quote Originally Posted by ballfan4141 View Post
    can you use this for headlight restoration? or dont they make these pads or fittings for it? is the pc7424xp the best model?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes you can use it. You can get the 3" BP for DAs and the 4" Pads for the headlights. There are 4 DAs in the AGO store, GG, Megs, PCXP & Cyclo. Asking which is best will entail an unending topic,lol.

Stop whining and crying like a baby! Life sucks...deal with it!

Post Thanks / Like

no I meant is the pc 7424xp the best one pc makes.

Post Thanks / Like

no I meant is the pc 7424xp the best one pc makes.
    The answer is yes.

Post Thanks / Like

You "can" use it to restore or rejuvenate clear plastic headlight lenses but it will take a while. Depending on how bad the deterioration will determine where you begin.

I've done several and while you can buy a kit I generally start with 220 grit wet/dry paper and work my way up to lets say 400 or so. The sanding quickly removes the heavy stuff then I switch to my rotary and Meguiar's M105 followed by Meguiar's M205.

Every situation is just a bit different but what you're trying to accomplish if to bring the exterior surface back to factory clear.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Using a PC to restore headlight lenses you will probably want to work your way up to maybe 1200 grit paper on the sanding steps. You will have trouble removing 400 grit or even 600 grit sanding marks with the PC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    Using a PC to restore headlight lenses you will probably want to work your way up to maybe 1200 grit paper on the sanding steps. You will have trouble removing 400 grit or even 600 grit sanding marks with the PC.
    I agree, that's way I use a rotary rather than DA polisher.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Mike Phillips

can you use this for headlight restoration? or dont they make these pads or fittings for it? is the PC7424XP the best model?
    Just to chime in...

The answer is yes, but to what degree is the issue...

You didn't mention what you were actually wanting to do? Some members in this forum brought up "sanding" and sanding removes old dead oxidized plastic and leaves behind a flat uniform dull surface. After this you have to remove the sanding marks and this is best done with a rotary buffer.

The problem with using a Porter Cable or any DA polisher to remove sanding marks is you need to keep the pad rotating in order to remove plastic material. The trick is keeping the pad rotating.

Some headlights have bumps or nubs that protrude outward and if your pad glides over one of these that's usually enough to stop the pad from rotating.

If the headlight lens is completely flat or at least it has no edges or raised line then you can keep a pad rotating but like mentioned it will take longer than it would using a rotary buffer and probably even a corded drill, which rotates under pressure like a rotary buffer.

A LOT of members on this forum are perfectionist and their idea of polishing out a headlight lens means restoring it to crystal clear perfection.

That said, some people with hazy, yellowed headlights would be happy just to clean them up enough for light to pass through them so they are safe when driving at night and the idea of doing this with a DA polisher they already own versus hand is good enough. If you or any Lurker falls into that category then "Yes" you can use a DA polisher to restore headlights. Because a DA polisher doesn't have as much power as a rotary buffer you just have to invest in more time to do the polishing work.

I have not used the 4" Surbuf on a DA to restore cloudy headlights but the Surbuf pads are more aggressive than most foam pads and the are thin so they rotate well so I suspect they would work well for headlight polishing.

Surbuf MicroFinger Buffing Pads now at Autogeek!
    Diamondite® Clear Plastic System Kit For plastic headlight lenses

p.s.

I've added a few words to your subject title so it tells people what the thread is about...