autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Help please - Received

My order in ONE DAY!! You guys are awesome! I can't remember the individuals name i spoke iwth on the phone when placing my order but he was very helpful , knowledgeable and patient with me. Thank you!

I do have a quick question. I purchased 6 blue indigo towels, 1 cobra jr. and 1 Cobra 530.

THis is my first tim dealing with microfiber andt they feel soft, yet have a sand paper like feel, obviously not as rough as sand paper but there is a feel like that..ist his normal for microfiber?

Also, do they need dto be washed prior to use or can i just wait to wash after i use them?

If so can i wash all of them together? They are blue, grey and lavender color. I don't see a problem with it but just checking.

My plan is to wash with liquid detergerant (Gain) and tumble dry and once they are dry but slightly damp i'll put htem out and hang dry.

Thanks for your help in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help please - Received

Amir, right? It was nice talking to you yesterday, glad to hear you got your stuff right on time!

The Indigo towels have a very short nap to them, giving them a "rougher" texture. They are still 100% safe and are actually very gentle on paint, but the shorter nap makes them very effective at removing polish and wax residue. Same thing for the "shorter" side of the 530 and 600 towels. I use the short side for polish/wax removal, and the plush side for final buffing and QDing.

They should be good to go out of the box, but we always recommend washing microfiber first "just in case". Your washing plan sounds good and there shouldn't be any problems washing them together (I've never had any of those towels bleed).

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

One funny thing I always notice about Microfiber is it seems to "stick" to your skin a bit, its weird, but normal!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matt@autogeek.net View Post
    Amir, right? It was nice talking to you yesterday, glad to hear you got your stuff right on time!

The Indigo towels have a very short nap to them, giving them a "rougher" texture. They are still 100% safe and are actually very gentle on paint, but the shorter nap makes them very effective at removing polish and wax residue. Same thing for the "shorter" side of the 530 and 600 towels. I use the short side for polish/wax removal, and the plush side for final buffing and QDing.

They should be good to go out of the box, but we always recommend washing microfiber first "just in case". Your washing plan sounds good and there shouldn't be any problems washing them together (I've never had any of those towels bleed).

Matt
    Hey! Yea thats me bro! As i mentioned before I'm new to detailing all together and your help over the phone was very much appreciated, with all the options we have out there you helped me get exatctly what i was looking for! Customer service goes a long way and you guys are top notch and 1 day deliver can't be beat!

It's nice to have a trust source i can get all my products from with no worries. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the comments and I'm glad I could help you out! If you're looking for a community of vast detailing knowledge and a friendly place to ask questions, you've definitely come to the right place!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Matt!

I plan on attacking my first full detail tomorrow morning. I do have a few additional "rookie" questions to make sure i'm doing this right. I'll list them out for ease of your response.

1.) I recall on the phone you mentioned that you do not dedicate specific towels to products, however if you use one indigo towel to remove a polish this towel can not be used again on the car until washed, is this correct? I mentioned i'm using Zaino line so i wasn't sure if i could use one towel to remove Z2 and also remove Z5 with the same towel.

2.) You mentioned you use the indigos to remove polish and the short shorter nap side of the Jr. & 530 to do the same if needed. However you do use the longer nap side for QD and final buffing. As silly as this sounds, can you explain to me what you mean by final buffing?

Does this mean once you remove the polish with one towel which to me is buffing out the polish, you would go over it again with a longer nap to do anohter step of buffing? To me that sounds like using 2 towels for the same purpose?

Sorry for dumb question just want to make sure i'm on the same page with what your saying.

3.) I purchaed the DP Gel wheel cleaner which you mentioend works on tires and wheel wells to get them nice and clean. One thing i did not get was something to really make my chrome wheels shine. Will this suffice for this as well or is this merely a cleaner and won't make them shine.

I was thinking of just polishing them with Z2 or one of the products i have or is there something form a local store i can get that you recommend.

5. Is it a must that once you have clayed your car that you re-wash it and dry it completely before applying polish/sealants and QD.

6.) DP Gel Wheel cleaner - How is this used? It came in a bottle without a spray nozzile, do i need to mix this in a spray bottle with some water at a specific ratio ? Just wondering how to apply it and how much since there is no sprayer on it.

Thanks bro!

Post Thanks / Like

1 - I would use a different mf for a different product..you don't want to cross-contaminate

2 - Yes. you got that right. you use the short side to remove polish or wax residue, and use the plush side for final buffing. final buffing is when you slowly go around your car and gently wiping it down.

You can use the same towel for removing wax residue and for final buffing, just use the right side for the right purpose. I wouldn't use the same towel i used for removing polish residue though.

3 - if the wheels are clean, they will definitely shine.

4 - I also have chrome wheels, to kick the shine up a notch, i use a chrome polish such as Autosol, i think AG has a chrome polish in the store.

5 - I would wash the car after claying. You don't want the clay lubricant/QD with the clay components mixing when you polish. And you want a dry paint to work on.

6 - Haven't used it yet. sorry.

Stop whining and crying like a baby! Life sucks...deal with it!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions. I guess I've just watched so many videos on you tube watching guys use the same towel and they after each panel or so they fold the towel over to get a new side, however you end up re-using a side of the towel when you go through the entire car to remove polish. At least that's what it looked like in the video i watched lol.

Also, you mentioned not using the same towel i remove polish with to buff. If i'm using the correct side of the towel why would you not suggust this with polish but with removing wax its fine?

I beleive all the products i will be using are polishes, since i think Z2 AND Z5 are polishes and i have their QD as well which i believe is Z7.

I purchased the dawn soap tonight, there were a few different types of Dawn, so i just bought the original one which comes in a blue color. I've read that it's roughly 2-3oz of dawn soap and fill the rest of the bucket with water, does this sond correct? This would be the wash to remove any existing wax prior to claying. I know not to every wash the car with this soap again.

Post Thanks / Like

I use one towel to remove wax/sealant residue, i just flip to a fresh side once i feel it gets a bit caked.

Yes, don't use the same towel for different products. For removing polish, i don't feel the need to use a final buff, only after lsp application. That's why i said if you used it for removing polish, you don't want to use it to remove wax residue or for a final buff...to prevent cross-contamination. But if you used one side to remove wax, i've never had trouble using the plush side for final buffing afterwards. Sorry if i'm confusing you..lol.

Z2 is a sealant not a polish.

Yeah you can use dawn as a wash to get rid of wax. I use dishwashing liquid too, but only when i am to apply a fresh coat of protection.

Stop whining and crying like a baby! Life sucks...deal with it!