autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

figuring ratio for products

ok, this may see like an obvious question-answer but sometimes hearing it from others is a good thing right?

On the sides of my APC+ bottles there are two marks one says 10:1 and the other mark says 4:1. What I have been doing is filling the water level up to the designated mark and then filling the rest of the bottle up to the top with the APC+ cleaner. Is this correct?

Also, if I did not have a mark on the side of the bottle does a 4:1 ratio mean that there are 4 oz of water to 1oz of cleaner.

thank you for humoring me.

most crowded state in the world NEW JERSEY
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: figuring ratio for products

Good question. It does say fill water first to the ratio but where do you fill it to after that?

Post Thanks / Like

I read somewhere on AG that you fill it to the ring right before the bottle starts to taper up.

most crowded state in the world NEW JERSEY
    Post Thanks / Like

That's what i was thinking because if you measure the 1-1 ratio it's 1/2 thanks

Post Thanks / Like

If detailing is like my time in the research lab a 4:1 ratio is 4 cups of water for every 1 cup of product. My understanding of the megs bottles is you fill to the lower line with product and then add water until it is at the top of the label.

4:1 is kinda easy in an unlabeled 32 oz bottle. Put 6 oz product and 24 oz water for a total of 30 oz or 3/4 cup of product and 3 cups of water. If you aren't good at math, you can just estimate things.....like 1 cup of product and fill the 32oz bottle to the rim and call it a day (is 3:1 really different that 4:1).

Jenn

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of ratios, with many products used at different dilutions for different tasks I'm guessing many have multiple bottles for a given product. I was using generic bottles for a while then picked up some product-dedicated Meg's bottles for a few products so they're easier to pick out of the crowd. Now I find I need, say, APC+ @ 10:1 for some interior cleaning and the bottle that's mixed is @ 4:1 for stouter tasks. Right back to where I started with mixing in generic bottles and marking 'em with greade pencil...

TL

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Fill to the "line" of the bottle where it starts to "shoulder" or taper in. If you go to Meguiars on line and search, you will find a thread that has photos of the correct point to fill to, (if that makes sense??).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TLMitchell View Post
    Speaking of ratios, with many products used at different dilutions for different tasks I'm guessing many have multiple bottles for a given product. I was using generic bottles for a while then picked up some product-dedicated Meg's bottles for a few products so they're easier to pick out of the crowd. Now I find I need, say, APC+ @ 10:1 for some interior cleaning and the bottle that's mixed is @ 4:1 for stouter tasks. Right back to where I started with mixing in generic bottles and marking 'em with greade pencil...

TL
    I've started getting the 6/$6 bottles at Sams (one is even a foamer) and using those for dilution. They are about the cheapest I've found. If you specifically need the heavy duty type, US plastics is the best deal.

Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered about 50 bottles from US P and I think I paid $60 for everything. Chem resistant too. I got tired of looking for plain bottles that I can put my stickers on so I ordered a ton of them... all bottles from HD...lowes....ag etc all have their logos on them and it is hard to find plain quality bottles.....
    David

Post Thanks / Like

Fill bottle with the ratio you want....

Then fill to top of main body of bottle (bottom arrow with pencil). This is for the right ratio. It is 32oz to the first ring or so on the neck.

I mix all of my main products (except Last Touch and Window cleaner) to 7:1, 28oz of water 4oz product, easy to remember. I fill to the bottom arrow (where you would normally fill) then fill with product to the first ring or so to make 32oz total. 7:1 seems to be a good ratio for the cleaners, including wheel brightner.

Courtesy of MOL:
    Aaron's the name!
    Live long and prosper Leonard Nimoy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast