autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Polishing pad question.

Hi everyone. I finally got around to starting in on doing my Yukon (much more vehicle to work with than was my Civic!) and noticed something with the pads. I'm using the PC with the Wolfgang pads, and as I got more of the truck done, it seemed as though the pad wasn't doing much of anything. By doing nothing I mean that whereas when I first started, everything was fine, the polish got worked, it broke down, yada yada. But as I did more of the truck, the PC wasn't even spinning the pad at all, it was just kind of vibrating a little bit as if the pad was getting stuck and not doing much of anything else other than throwing some dried polish on my arms from the edges of the pad. The polish wasn't breaking down since it wasn't getting worked properly, and in some places I was getting buildups of polish, while in others it was kind of leaving behind the (for lack of knowing how to describe it) wetness of the polish. I didn't run into this problem with the Civic, so the questions are these: Are the pads only good for X amount of time until they get clogged with polish? Did I use too much polish? Do I just need to switch to a new pad when it starts doing this? Does any of what I am trying to explain make sense to you all??

Post Thanks / Like
    I would try to clean the pad. Do you have XMT polishing pad cleaner? If you do, spray it on and work the cleaner in the pad and wash out with water. Put it back on the PC and set it on 6, then spin it dry away from anything. Water will spin out about 15- 20 feet. And go back to work on your SUV. If you don't have XMT cleaner, use an APC and do the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    What Sparkie said...When I polish my Yukon I usually have to change the pads a couple times for each polish. The amount of times I have to change the pads depends on the polish I'm using, usually the more aggressive the polish the quicker they become clogged.

(much more vehicle to work with than was my Civic!)
    Yeah, there is a little more paint surface on a Yukon then on a Civic

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the responses guys.

sparkie: No, I don't have any of the polishing pad cleaner. Looks like I need to order something else. lol

blkyukon: Thanks for the heads up on the extra pads. I guess I can order those along with the pad cleaner.

And oops, I meant to put this in the detailing forum, not the auto detailing university.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkie
    I would try to clean the pad. Do you have XMT polishing pad cleaner? If you do, spray it on and work the cleaner in the pad and wash out with water. Put it back on the PC and set it on 6, then spin it dry away from anything. Water will spin out about 15- 20 feet. And go back to work on your SUV. If you don't have XMT cleaner, use an APC and do the same.
    The pad has to be cleaned throughout the detail. The XMT pad cleaner is great! Just spray, rub and rinse. All clean. Pop it back on the PC, spin her dry and she's ready to polish again.

Post Thanks / Like
    1 pad cleaned with XMT pad cleaner, the other 1/2 sprayed with XMT cleaner. The stuff is awesome, used very little cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, that settles it then. I definitely need to get the pad cleaner.

Also, is there a big difference in upgrading to the Edge pads as opposed to the regular velcro pads I'm currently using? (Why do I feel the answer will be a resounding YES!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wicked1
    Well, that settles it then. I definitely need to get the pad cleaner.

Also, is there a big difference in upgrading to the Edge pads as opposed to the regular velcro pads I'm currently using? (Why do I feel the answer will be a resounding YES!)
    I'm still learning the Edge pads, I like them so far, but its different then my LC or Megs pads. The one thing I do like is, when the pad gets dirty. Push pull flip! You have a new pad! Two pads in one!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkie
    I'm still learning the Edge pads, I like them so far, but its different then my LC or Megs pads. The one thing I do like is, when the pad gets dirty. Push pull flip! You have a new pad! Two pads in one!
    Sparkie's got it right with edge you can do most cars without stopping to wash the pad just flip it .
    '05 F-250 Crew
    '06 Charger R/T

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got the Edge pads now and there far easier to use than the others

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast