autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Any Need For Meguiar's D151?

So, is there a real need to have Meguiar's D151 in one's detailing arsenal if one already owns the M105/M205 products?

I understand D151 has more cut than M205, but couldn't you accomplish the same level of cut (or more) if you went over the same area with M205 twice?

I plan to use an LSP such as Duragloss #105 or one of the Collinite products anyway, so the wax protection that D151 leaves behind isn't a big selling point to me.

While I understand that some members like to own a variety of items to try and test out, at least for now, I am trying to limit my collection to the bare essentials.

Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any Need For Meguiar's D151?

The biggest advantage to #151 is simple .... ONE STEP. It's an excellent product for the everyday driver that needs to be done quickly ... in one step.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VR8 View Post
    The biggest advantage to #151 is simple .... ONE STEP. It's an excellent product for the everyday driver that needs to be done quickly ... in one step.
    I have a sample that I bought a while ago, I tried it on our Yukon, a lot say it has the cut of M83 or so.

I liked it enough to try it and it's sat since. I had a learning curve with it but it works good.

It's a good product for a good one step like mentioned.
    Aaron's the name!
    Live long and prosper Leonard Nimoy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VR8 View Post
    I see.

Is it possible though, for M205 to deliver the same results as D151 if you worked it for more passes?

Or on the other hand, is it possible to just carry M105 and D151 in your arsenal? I'm trying to keep a "minimal" inventory to keep costs down.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a hard one for me.....

D151 is a AIO (All in One), cleaner wax if you will.

D151 is stronger than M205 but inbetween M105 and M205.

It's something you are going to have to try and see if you like it or not. This product is aimed at high volume detail shops (as it is in the Detailer Line) wanting to polish a car and wax it at the same time.

I have used it and liked it but don't have a real need for it for my own use. I use an assortment of products from M09 to M105 and everything in between. I have to with just my own cars. Our Neon has a hard as nails clear coat that the lower numbered products won't touch, on the other hand, our Yukon is easily corrected with a couple, three passes of M80/M09 and waxed after and stays maintained longer. The Neon gets wind on it and it swirls easily.

I usually stick to M105/M205/M80/M09 combos for now until that dries up then I'm going to try the other great lines that AG sells, I'm liking the Pinnacle or Wolfgang products and Menzerna and....and....too many, not enough $$!

If you can get a sampler of D151, check it out, see if you like it (check your PM!)

If you're in a hurry and wanting to clay and use a cleaner wax and be done then it's your cup of tea. It's a good product, I just don't reach for my sampler.....

Here's my article on using D151 on MOL

2000 GMC Yukon D151/M16.....
    Aaron's the name!
    Live long and prosper Leonard Nimoy

Post Thanks / Like

i went ahead and got a 32oz sampler
    BMW 525i. Honda Pilot 2011 EX-L 4WD

Paul's the name. Phys. Ed. the game!!

Post Thanks / Like

d151 is one of my favs! It is great for production detailing
    2006 Lincoln Zephyr- 28% Solar Guard Charcoal tint, Pioneer DVD player/In-dash, Boston Acoustics component 5x7's

Future Ride- Either the 2008-09 Mustang Shelby GT or base Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Critic View Post
    I see.

Is it possible though, for M205 to deliver the same results as D151 if you worked it for more passes?
    You may get similar results with the #205, but when you're satisfied with the finish, you're going to have to add a wax/sealant. With #151 you don't need to add a wax/sealant.

On the other hand, if you were using #105 to really clear the paint, there's nothing better than #205 to give you that perfect, deep result. In that case, #151 would not do as nice of a job. But still, a wax/sealant will need to be added on top of the #205.

Motto: More work usually brings in better results, ie. #105 - #205 - wax/sealant. BUT, it takes a lot more time and you should charge accordingly unless it's your own baby you're working on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elk42 View Post
    i went ahead and got a 32oz sampler

I think it is worth it to have an AIO polish in your arsenal, for maintenance polishing like after winter or spot polishing the scratches caused by friends leaning on the car (then wiping the spot they leaned on with their shirt saying "Oh sorry, I'll clean it" ) I love these types of polishes! My $0.02

I bought 3 bottles of XMT 360 (one BOGO) and am trading for a sample of Poorboy's Polish with Sealant with another member here. Anyone want to trade for a couple oz. of XMT 360 so I can try D151 too?

Post Thanks / Like

Good points, everyone. Sounds like a 32 oz sampler of D151 is the way to go. I wonder who sells D151 samples?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast