autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holograms...

Post Thanks / Like

Holograms...

So I washed and 1-stepped the Pilot over the weekend.

DP wash and gloss
    Megs Clay with DPWG diluted for clay lube
    XMT 360 on white CCS with pc Xp

So today I was out in the sun and noticed that it looks like I put some buffer swirl/holograms on the back passenger quarter panel. All of the pictures didn't capture what I saw.

Is this possible and do I need to follow-up with another product?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Holograms...

What speed did you work XMT 360, and how long did you work it in? It does have some light abrasives in it that need to be broken down. I would go over it with XMT 360 on a gray finishing pad, and work it in on speed 5-6 until it is fully broken down. Your Honda also has pretty soft paint, which adds to the whole effect so you want to use the softer pad and ensure that the polish is fully broken down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matt@autogeek.net View Post
    What speed did you work XMT 360, and how long did you work it in? It does have some light abrasives in it that need to be broken down. I would go over it with XMT 360 on a gray finishing pad, and work it in on speed 5-6 until it is fully broken down. Your Honda also has pretty soft paint, which adds to the whole effect so you want to use the softer pad and ensure that the polish is fully broken down.

I will try going over it with XMT 360 and a grey pad. I am glad you can only see it in one type of light at one specific angle. It is my first go with the DA so I didn't expect it to be perfect.

I was excited that the UC and an orange pad got a big scrape off the bumper though.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you try using a QD over it first? It could also very well be left over residue.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought you really can't put holograms in the paint with a PC, or and DA? Marring, yes..........
    Last edited by WRAPT C5Z06; 02-17-2010 at 01:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matt@autogeek.net View Post
    What speed did you work XMT 360, and how long did you work it in? It does have some light abrasives in it that need to be broken down.
    I think I worked it on 4-5 for about a minute from what I remember. How do you know when it is "broken down"?

Jenn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jenn1270 View Post
    I think I worked it on 4-5 for about a minute from what I remember. How do you know when it is "broken down"?

Jenn
    You should probably work XMT 360 at speed 6. I'll let Matt answer the broken down part.

Use Meguiars SMAT products, the abrasives don't break down, so you don't have to "know" when they've broken down.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-products.html

D151 has the same idea as XMT 360, but it's a better "all in one" product.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post
    I thought you really can't put holograms in the paint with a PC, or and DA? Marring, yes, but nothing really visible in the sun....
    Depends on speed, pad movement, etc.

Not fully breaking down a polish will leave marks in the paint regardless of what machine you're using. How you perceive them can vary from person to person.

Jenn
    A minute per how big of a section? Anyhow, try speed 6 with the gray pad. Go slow, about 1-2 inches per second, overlapping each stroke. When the polish is fully broken down, it should turn translucent. At that point, you can bump it down to speed 5 and give it an extra 1-2 section passes with very light pressure to help "refine" the finish.

Mike Phillips

So today I was out in the sun and noticed that it looks like I put some buffer swirl/holograms on the back passenger quarter panel.
    If you're using a DA Polisher,

DA Polisher = PC 7424XP/Meguiar's G110v2/Griot's Garage ROP

Then what you're seeing is micro-marring or hazing, Meguiar's chemists refer to them as Tick Marks.

Rotary buffer swirls, buffer trails or holograms are terms used to describe the zig/zap pattern left by a rotary buffer.

Question? Did you do a Test Spot to just a small section first, and then inspect your results in bright light? Or did you find out there was marring in the paint after buffing the entire car out?

What color is this Pilot?

Mike Phillips

I need to capture and add some more pictures to this thread but here's a reference for a variety of defect in paint that we talk about on detailing discussion forums.

Tracers Tracers - RIDS - Pigtails - Cobweb Swirls - Rotary Buffer Swirls - Holograms - Water Spots - Bird Drooping Etchings - Micro-Marring

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast