autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation How to Remove water spots ?

So what is the best way of removing water spots? my friend left his 03 bullet mustang by a sprinkler with out know that it would be turned on and the quality of his well water sucks. So it left some really horrible ones. Someone told him that some shops use a very mild acid to remove them with out cutting into the clear coat. Is there such a thing? or will using a compound or polishing the only way. If so what would be a compound or polish good to use to remove them ??? will get pictures of it soon. Help!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to Remove water spots ?

Something simple would be mixing equal parts of distilled water & white vinegar.

I'm not sure about what's available from AG, however Chemical Guys makes a product called "water spot remover". As soon as you open it you will notice it also contains vinegar.

Claying the affected areas sometimes helps to remove the spots as well.
    Shade Tree Auto Detailing
    Austin, Texas & surrounding areas

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, vinegar is acetic acid so thats probably what he's thinking about. Vinegar usually works well on spots that aren't yet etched into the clear coat. In that case, the only hope of removal is polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

I also have water spots which are on my car for many years, i have yet to try the distilled water and vinegar but will try it once i receive my polisher and im capable of using it correctly

Post Thanks / Like

alot of us have this problem. im hearing a ton of ways from wetsanding to heavy compound to trying different degrees of swirl removers with different pads. test spotting is what you need to do but start with a lower dose of swirl remover then work your way up if it isnt strong enough. oh by the way, they will return once the sprinkler goes back on. geez.
    BMW 525i. Honda Pilot 2011 EX-L 4WD

Paul's the name. Phys. Ed. the game!!

Post Thanks / Like

The vinegar/water works wonders! But only if you catch it early before it etches the paint. It removes the mineral deposits but it can't remove an "etch" since the etch is actually "absence of material".
    I used to be looking for a water spot remover but I was very happy with the vinegar/water.
    I know AG has the duragloss. Here it is
    Duragloss Water Spot Remover (WSR) #505

Here is the price and price per oz.
    $ 7.99 $ 0.36
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Mike Phillips

First you have to figure out which type of water spots you have?

There are two basic kinds of water spots or water marks found on automotive paints.

• Type I Water Spots - Above Surface Mineral Deposits
    • Type II Water Spots - Below Surface Water Spot Etchings

Type I Water Spots
    Type I Water Spots are what what we call Above Surface Bonded Contaminants. A Type I water spot is some type of deposit, often times a mineral deposit that was suspended in the water source to begin with, then after the water evaporated off the finish the mineral is left behind where it bonds to the finish usually in a circular or pattern or shape.

Type I Water Spots - Mineral deposits sitting on top of the paint

Type II Water Spots - Etchings below the surface

Type II Water Spots are what we call Below Surface Defects. A Type II Water Spot is actually an etching in the surface where whatever was in the water was strong enough in its chemical composition to actually eat or dissolve the paint and thus etch into the paint.

Close-up of same photo above

Vinegar might remove a Type I Water Spot but anytime you have an etching in the paint the only way to remove it is to remove the paint surrounding the etching until the upper surface is level with the lowest depth of all the etchings you're trying to remove.

If you have Type II Water Spots then you'll need a compound and a polish.

Are you working by hand or machine and if by machine then what type of machine?

Mike Phillips

Just to note,

I'm going to move this out of the "Off Topic" forum group and move it into Detailing 101

Detailing 101 is for questions like this and "Off Topic" would be if you wanted to start a thread about a topic that's not really about detailing, (the theme or topic of this forum), for example,

What's your favorite movie from 2009?

The above question is an example of a thread to start in "Off Topic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    First you have to figure out which type of water spots you have?

There are two basic kinds of water spots or water marks found on automotive paints.

• Type I Water Spots - Above Surface Mineral Deposits
    • Type II Water Spots - Below Surface Water Spot Etchings

Type I Water Spots
    Type I Water Spots are what what we call Above Surface Bonded Contaminants. A Type I water spot is some type of deposit, often times a mineral deposit that was suspended in the water source to begin with, then after the water evaporated off the finish the mineral is left behind where it bonds to the finish usually in a circular or pattern or shape.

Type I Water Spots - Mineral deposits sitting on top of the paint

Type II Water Spots are what we call Below Surface Defects. A Type II Water Spot is actually an etching in the surface where whatever was in the water was strong enough in its chemical composition to actually eat or dissolve the paint and thus etch into the paint.

Close-up of same photo above

Vinegar might remove a Type I Water Spot but anytime you have an etching in the paint the only way to remove it is to remove the paint surrounding the etching until the upper surface is level with the lowest depth of all the etchings you're trying to remove.

If you have Type II Water Spots then you'll need a compound and a polish.

Are you working by hand or machine and if by machine then what type of machine?

Mike...I just wanted to say that was an awesome reply. Your closeup pics really help identify the marks.

Post Thanks / Like

^^^^^^^^agreed

I actually have type 2, i will try to see if i can get any success with ultimate compound on my g220 when i get it from CrazyDetailer here in South Africa.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast