autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Ipa

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ipa

Quote Originally Posted by bimmersales View Post
    Can you tell me what kind of car and what year it was that the IPA with the 530 towel caused the scratches on? If your 530 towel caused scratches with IPA, it did it with mineral spirits as well. You just didn't see it because of the film left on the paint from the mineral spirits.
    99 Acura 3.2 TL Metallic Green

The scenario you mentioned did cross my mind. You have a chemist who says that MS will not mask defects, and those that say it will.
    '03 Corvette Z06

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post
    99 Acura 3.2 TL Metallic Green

The scenario you mentioned did cross my mind. You have a chemist who says that MS will not mask defects, and those that say it will.
    I understand what you are saying..However, at the end of the day, I am going to take the word of my own eyes and experience, over anyone's "Real Chemist in this situation...I don't care if God came down from the heavens and told me to take his word because not only he created the universe, he also got his PhD in Organic Chemistry. I am going to trust my own eyes and experience.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess what you are saying is that IPA is not the cause of the scratching but rather the inferior Autogeek towels....
    No, what I am saying is that ANY towel can scratch paint.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand what you are saying..However, at the end of the day, I am going to take the word of my own eyes and experience, over anyone's "Real Chemist in this situation...I don't care if God came down from the heavens and told me to take his word because not only he created the universe, he also got his PhD in Organic Chemistry. I am going to trust my own eyes and experience.
    Well, I'm going off of my eyes as well. To me, it seems as though MS does not leave behind a film. I'm not heavily experienced, so maybe I don't know what to look for as far as MS leaving a film?
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'm going off of my eyes as well. To me, it seems as though MS does not leave behind a film. I'm not heavily experienced, so maybe I don't know what to look for as far as MS leaving a film?
    Mark, how can a liquid without any abrasives mar a finish. It has to be the towel. Now think about this, you re-polished the area then all you changed to mineral spirits and no marring, this should prove the oil in the solvent either filled or mineral spirits did not remove all the residue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    Mark, how can a liquid without any abrasives mar a finish. It has to be the towel. Now think about this, you re-polished the area then all you changed to mineral spirits and no marring, this should prove the oil in the solvent either filled or mineral spirits did not remove all the residue.
    Maybe IPA dries out the paint making it more susceptible to marring from the towel? If MS can break down collinite, I'm sure it has no problem removing polish residue. Although, I will say, when I felt MS, it did feel "oily" to me. I'd like to try something else. What about Menz Top Inspection?
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe IPA dries out the paint making it more susceptible to marring from the towel? If MS can break down collinite, I'm pretty sure it has no problem removing polish residue. The key question, does MS mask defects? Although, I will say, when I felt MS, it did feel "oily" to me. I'd like to try something else. What about Menz Top Inspection?
    If the paint is dry that isn't the ipa's fault for the marring, it is the towel of your choice. Collinite isn't all that so that doesn't prove anything there. Of course MS is going to feel oily, it contains oil. I know for a fact it masks the surface. Top inspection isn't that strong.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe IPA dries out the paint making it more susceptible to marring from the towel?
    I'm having a tough time with this. If IPA dries out paint that fast with a quick application, then how in the world does it stand up to other pollutants, road salt, automatic car wash pre-cleaners, and even gasoline (the occasional little spill from over filling)? There's no way possible that it can do that within a quick spray & wipe. But then again I'm not a chemist.

Although, I will say, when I felt MS, it did feel "oily" to me. I'd like to try something else. What about Menz Top Inspection?
    This is exactly why I have a nearly full can of mineral spirits sitting in my garage collecting dust. I'm in search of other products too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    If the paint is dry that isn't the ipa's fault for the marring, it is the towel of your choice. Collinite isn't all that so that doesn't prove anything there. Of course MS is going to feel oily, it contains oil. I know for a fact it masks the surface. Top inspection isn't that strong.
    I currently use 99% IPA diluted 1:1. Is this OK?

Quote Originally Posted by rwright View Post
    This is exactly why I have a nearly full can of mineral spirits sitting in my garage collecting dust. I'm in search of other products too.
    Griot's Pre-Wax Cleaner?
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=07 z-oh-6;371660]I currently use 99% IPA diluted 1:1. Is this OK?

That works fine for me but, I use a strong solvent myself.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.