autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Ipa

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ipa

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I don't really care what people use as long as they're happy...

Neither do I but, I like to give correct information when I post though.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    Neither do I but, I like to give correct information when I post though.
    I agree, it's important to provide accurate information.

I just spoke with a real chemist just now on the phone about this issue and he said the fast drying mineral spirits don't contain any appreciable amount of oils that would mask defects.

He did say that wiping with IPA could lead to scratching because it drys the surface so thoroughly and evaporates fast enough that it provides no lubrication.

So again... the big picture is find a product you like and use it often, or as you need it...

"Find something you like and use it often"

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

I just spoke with a real chemist just now on the phone about this issue and he said the fast drying mineral spirits don't contain any appreciable amount of oils that would mask defects.

He did say that wiping with IPA could lead to scratching because it drys the surface so thoroughly and evaporates fast enough that it provides no lubrication.

So again... the big picture is find a product you like and use it often, or as you need it...

Are there any other kind of chemists other than the real ones?

Assuming that we are using Grade A Autogeek microfiber towel, there should not be any scratching to the surface after the alcohol dries? I use IPA day in and day out without any problems...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bimmersales View Post

Assuming that we are using Grade A Autogeek microfiber towel, there should not be any scratching to the surface after the alcohol dries?
    Even the "Grade A Autogeek" towels can scratch the paint

Post Thanks / Like

Mike that is great you found a chemist to ask for information about this for yourself. In the real world though, after wiping paint down with mineral spirits it does leave a film. Also how would IPA cause scratching other than using a cheap towel to wipe off polish residue. Plus the whole point of a true solvent wipe down is to remove the lubricant and have the paint as dry as possible so you can see the true finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Ironic that you mentioned this. I was just going to start a thread asking about mineral spirits masking defects because I found that IPA(1:1) was marring the paint, and I did use a high quality MF towel. If you spoke to a true chemist, I'm sure they know this issue. Is there a specific "fast drying" type of mineral spirits?
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bimmersales View Post
    I use IPA day in and day out without any problems...
    It depends on the paint. Today, I used a Cobra 530 MF towel to remove polish residue. Then, I did an IPA wipedown, wiped the area and it marred like crazy(not polish induced marring). I re-polished the area and wiped down with mineral spirits, no marring. IME, some paints work well with IPA, some don't.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

I've been convinced that IPA is not just for zits anymore so I got 2 quarts of the high grade from Wally World. It's a good thing that I have grade A+ microfiber towels.

Post Thanks / Like

In my experience IPA alone has not marred paint. I have sprayed it on paint and let it dry and it still didn't scratch. Seriously though, I have used the 91% straight with no effects. I firmly believe that it's the product you are using it with. I used a generic mf towel to remove polish residue with slight marring, switched to a Cobra Indigo and no marring.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbin1 View Post
    Even the "Grade A Autogeek" towels can scratch the paint
    I guess what you are saying is that IPA is not the cause of the scratching but rather the inferior Autogeek towels....

to Z- OH-6

A good quality microfiber towel should not scratch the paint, regardless of the paint type....Plain and simple...The whole point of using IPA is to get rid of any remaining residue of polish or oils or whatever.....IPA does not cause cause scrtaching. Can you tell me what kind of car and what year it was that the IPA with the 530 towel caused the scratches on? If your 530 towel caused scratches with IPA, it did it with mineral spirits as well. You just didn't see it because of the film left on the paint from the mineral spirits.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.