autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New Microfiber towels are linting

I'm really having a hard time finding Microfiber towels that work for me. I have a black car and use Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer or #135 pretty much daily for dusting.

I switched from some cheap Sam's Club MF's to Supreme Shines when I got this car 4 mos. ago because I was scared they might scratch. The Supremes were heavenly from day 1 and I thought I'd never buy anything else. No linting ever and no sign of scratches. So, I ordered 9 more Megs Supremes and all of them linted. Despite several washings, the lint wouldn't stop. The retailer was awesome and sent free replacements, thinking I had a bad batch. Didn't work out. So, now I have 3 Supremes that are AWESOME, no lint, and 18 that lint like mad and simply replace the dust on the car with an equal amount of MF lint.

I figured I would go higher end, and did what I thought was ample research before settling on Cobra towels. I ordered 4 Special purpose Gold and 4 Supreme 530's. I was SO amped when I opened them. These towels feel so great, how could they not come through for me?

They all linted straight out of the bag. I've washed them and although it might be slightly reduced, every one of them still leaves my finish looking horrible. I haven't called Autogeek yet to try to return them but I just don't know what to do here. I have searched the forums here and elsewhere for why this is happening. How can some people claim to quick detail with these exact towels and get no lint?

I seriously had to QD using the cheap MF's today and there was ZERO lint. I think they are probably "unsplit" microfiber, so less prone to linting from what I've read. I love the Cobra waffle guzzlers. They don't lint. Can I just get a bunch of those and QD with waffle weave...does anyone do that?

Please help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Microfiber towels are linting

I have had the same issues with the 530's too, and have washed them repeatedly with no appreciable reduction in linting (I wash them properly too). I use them to dust before I QD my car with indiglo detailers towels which have shorter napp but have never linted.

Some do use waffle weave as it has been mentioned that they may produce less static when wiping the paint with them. The only downside is that you have a much larger chance of marring the paint without the deeper pile of regular microfibers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by christian900se View Post
    Some do use waffle weave as it has been mentioned that they may produce less static when wiping the paint with them. The only downside is that you have a much larger chance of marring the paint without the deeper pile of regular microfibers.
    I think the marring question depends on the specific towels rather than saying waffle weaves can mar more than plush towels.

I have not seen any real linting with the 530 g's but then I only have three.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Dang sounds like you have had too many bad batches. Did you try these? Cobra Deluxe Jr. 600 Microfiber Towel, 16 x 16 inches Simply amazing MF's and not a single issue ever!

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to end your quest for the best microfiber towel that does not lint get the (DMT) deluxe mega towel from poorboys world. They are $49.95 for 12 towels but you get what you pay for with these towels. I have been polishing, waxing, drying, scrubbing, wringing and washing these towels in the washer for 2 years and they are still like new and still not linting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    If you want to end your quest for the best microfiber towel that does not lint get the (DMT) deluxe mega towel from poorboys world. They are $49.95 for 12 towels but you get what you pay for with these towels. I have been polishing, waxing, drying, scrubbing, wringing and washing these towels in the washer for 2 years and they are still like new and still not linting.

Really?

2005 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner
    aka "Storm Trooper"

"Car waxes and paint sealants are to men like shoes are to women, you can never have too many" - Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

I never had a issue with these cobra indigo mf linting

Cobra Indigo Microfiber Polishing Cloth
    Ed

Moderator/Consultant for Autogeek.net

To achieve excellence, excellence cannot be rushed. Technique is just as important as the product used.
    While my approach takes more time, the results are far superior.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    I think the marring question depends on the specific towels rather than saying waffle weaves can mar more than plush towels.

I have not seen any real linting with the 530 g's but then I only have three.
    I think that its not the actual waffle weave itself that will marr, but rather the lack of any napp that will grab any dust or dirt particles and lift it away from the paint. With a waffle weave, there is not room for lifting those contaminants away from the paint surface which is what I am getting at.

Post Thanks / Like

I have both the cobra jr's and the 530's. Both are hit or miss for some reason. One towel will be great, the other of the same lints like hell. I can't figure it out. When they are lint free, they are a great towel(both). But when they lint, boy do they lint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loudog2 View Post
    I have both the cobra jr's and the 530's. Both are hit or miss for some reason. One towel will be great, the other of the same lints like hell. I can't figure it out. When they are lint free, they are a great towel(both). But when they lint, boy do they lint.
    Makes you wonder what constitutes quality control with these deeper pile microfibers. Its a shame really, since they feel so soft and luxerious but at the same time you can't really use those qualities in practice because of the linting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast