autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Suggestions on how to go about correcting these small scratches

Hello,

This is a second post on this problem but different topic. I picked up a car this week to do some work on. In working on the hood, after just touching the hood with a pad, it appears there are hundreds of tiny scratches all over the hood.

I'm not even sure what would have caused them because they don't look like rock chips or anything.

Here's a pix of the tiny scratches.

You can barely feel them with your finger nail but not with finger tip. The depth of the paint seems consistent that the hood hasn't been repainted.

My first thought is it's going to have to go to the paint shop. However, if I got that route, might as well try wet sanding.

I'm trying to figure out what these little scratches are from. Little Y's and just odd how they got there to start with.

Anybody ever ran into these? If so what route did you take to correct the problem?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Suggestions on how to go about correcting these small scratches

Looks like Crows Feet to me. My wife's car has them all over the hood too. The only way to get rid of it on her's is going to be a repaint. The paint is basically failing or about to fail on hers. I would venture to say the same is happening to you too.

Post Thanks / Like

We had a black Highlander about a year ago That had scratches like that, only they followed a buffers circle perfectly. Some hack went ballistic on the hood with debris on his pad and took it down to metal. Repainting was the only way to go.
    Knoxville's Premier Automotive and Marine Detailing Company.
    www.TNMobileDetailing.com
    (865) 385-1835

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nrengle View Post
    Looks like Crows Feet to me. My wife's car has them all over the hood too. The only way to get rid of it on her's is going to be a repaint. The paint is basically failing or about to fail on hers. I would venture to say the same is happening to you too.
    Crows feet that's what I was trying to think of. Thanks.

Well the car is an 08, I may run it by the Honda place and get them to look at it then. Paint shouldn't be failing on a 2 year old car.

As for the other post, there doesn't look to be any pattern to these. Just randomly all over the place. Whomever filled them in did a good job. Just wish there was something you could do like that which would hold.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with crow's feet...and WOW, that should NOT be happening on a 2008 car! I would be going to the dealership immediately, and/or contacting Honda customer care directly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matt@autogeek.net View Post
    I agree with crow's feet...and WOW, that should NOT be happening on a 2008 car! I would be going to the dealership immediately, and/or contacting Honda customer care directly.
    I definitely agree. I did some searching and see it's more common than it should be. I called a service department yesterday they told me to bring it in and they'd get some pix of it and submit it to corporate.

Unfortunately it falls under the 3year, 36k warranty which is kind of lame for paint in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

I am getting ready to take my car into the Honda dealership for the same exact thing. Mine is an 07. Frosty which dealership are you going to use? I will be taking mine to Metro Honda on Independence.
    2006 Honda Ridgeline Nighthawk Black Pearl with the wonderful soft Honda clear....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evilwrx View Post
    I am getting ready to take my car into the Honda dealership for the same exact thing. Mine is an 07. Frosty which dealership are you going to use? I will be taking mine to Metro Honda on Independence.
    I actually called them but they were a little too far away. I'm going to place in Rock Hill. If they give an hassle, then Metro will be the next place I visit. I think I spoke with Patty and she seemed very helpful and willing to get with Eric to see what they could do.

Post Thanks / Like

Our 2001 Honda Odyssey has the same all over the front of the hood. They were more pronounced after I polished it since I believe the polish got in the grooves. I just hope to stop the spreading. I used to have a Turtle Wax polish in the color of my paint (Color Match?) Maybe that would be a good way to make them less visible if they still make such a product.
    Last edited by trencher7; 01-12-2010 at 03:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Honda still does not know how to paint cars? Jeez, progressing from clearcoat failure to crows feet makes you wonder what they will think of next.

The best of luck fighting this since I have a feeling you won't have much luck at the dealer.