autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Danger of dealer "free" washing

Got my SL500 back from a disasterous visit to the dealer in Fort Pierce, (which is another story) and a few days later when the sun was just right, I noticed swirls all over the car. We had detailed the car with Menzerna and polish and waxes a few months ago and it went into the dealer perfect. I couldn't figure out how the swirls got in the paint. It's never seen a car wash and I keep it extremely clean all the time and only hand wash.

Bam, the lightbulb finally came on and I realized what the dealer had done: obviously ran it through an automatic car wash.

I intend to call tomorrow to confirm and if the answer is yes, we will be having a rather interesting conversation on the cost of the detail to remove the "damage".

So the lesson here is: decline free dealer car washes. Make sure they write it down on the order sheet.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Danger of dealer "free" washing

Got some news for you..........writing it on the sheet doesn't mean squat! Tape a sign to the steering wheel where it cannot possibly be missed in addition to the service writer's paperwork.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

The sad news is . . . they probably didn't run your car through a car wash. They probably hand washed it. It's just that dealers are so inept at car washing that they swirl the heck out of the finish of every car they touch.

This summer I was at the dealer for service and I was walking around waiting for my car. I got to the side of the dealership where the wash bay was and BAM! There's my car being washed even though I asked they not wash it. The water in the wash buckets was black with dirt, I think I saw some guy washing with some sort of broom looking device, and there was another guy drying the cars with towels that looked like they've been in use since 1972. My car was pretty swirled up after that.
    You like Nattys, I like Souveran, and Justin is DP MaxWax. And you know what, its alright !!
    -Killrwheels

Post Thanks / Like

with all the above. Tell them when you make the apointment. Write it on the sheet when you turn the car over to them. Tape a note to the steering wheel. Had an SLK in for anual survicing just after a full detailing...it came back with serious swirl marks and they thought they were doing me a favor

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, the best thing you can do is re-polish your car and in the future tape a note to the steering wheel. If you seek repair through the dealership they'll likely insist on sending your car through their detailing department which will likely result in holograms, paint burns, and overall poor work.
    You like Nattys, I like Souveran, and Justin is DP MaxWax. And you know what, its alright !!
    -Killrwheels

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I went as far as making signs and taping them on the interior ( dash, steering wheel, rear view mirror, radio) and told the dealer no wash and be sure he wrote it on the ticket. The service writer saw my signs and made the comment that some of them should have been in Spanish.
    I only brought the car in for an oil change(part of the new car deal free oil change) and when I got it back there was a mass of filth on the hood where they opened and closed it, they spilled oil trying to get it in the engine, and the under carriage was a mess. I guess they forgot to give the guys rags!!!! The car had 1100 miles on it so you know it didn't go in dirty.
    Bottom line They didn't wash it and it did indeed need attention when I got home. I always do my own oil changes, but since this was a new car I thought I would give the dealer a try. Guess I'm back to doing it myself.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrThumbs View Post
    ... The service writer saw my signs and made the comment that some of them should have been in Spanish...
    Too funny. He's right though, no matter where you live, chances are there will be people who only speak Spanish.
    Enrique - Amateur Detailer Extraordinaire
    "Man is an emotional animal, occasionally rational; and through his feelings he can be deceived to his heart's content." - Durant

Post Thanks / Like

That is frustrating to say the least! Good luck on getting reimbursed for the damage as the more time you let go by, the less chance you have.

Never had a problem with my car since I am good friends with everyone at the Saab dealership. That said, I have had numerous occassions where I had my mom or dad's Lexus' in the dealer for service and expressly said not to wash it (they made a note) and taped a sign to the steering wheel. I leave for an hour and guess what is in the car wash bay when I get back? Every single time I go, it happens; you would think they should jump for joy at being able to skip the time and cost of washing a car through a voluntary request by the owner.

Post Thanks / Like

Had the same type of "problem" a couple of months back. Went golfing with a buddy at his club. He wanted to do me a " favor" by having my car washed for me. He had taken my car keys out of the locker and had the caddy master take it for a wash. When it came back it looked like they had washed it with brillo.
    I've learned 2 things:
    1: always take the keys
    2: Put a note a the steering wheel. "DO NOT WASH"
    John
    Mean people suck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast